Thread poster: Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:47
Member (2008)
French to English
Dec 26, 2013

I am looking at the CC membership mostly for photography and graphic design for my other business, but to justify the expense, it would be useful if I could think of ways to use it for my translation business as well. It includes the full pro Adobe Acrobat, which would be useful for file working with PDFs. Currently I convert to Word using an OCR program, which works ok, but not great. I think that owning some of the other programs like InDesign and Dreamweaver would also allow me to work dir... See more
I am looking at the CC membership mostly for photography and graphic design for my other business, but to justify the expense, it would be useful if I could think of ways to use it for my translation business as well. It includes the full pro Adobe Acrobat, which would be useful for file working with PDFs. Currently I convert to Word using an OCR program, which works ok, but not great. I think that owning some of the other programs like InDesign and Dreamweaver would also allow me to work directly on content created by someone else in many CAT programs, is that correct? Given that I probably don't want to actually offer DTP services beyond maintaining the source format in the target and I will only use the graphic and website design programs for my own business, does the $50 a month expense make sense for a translator? I could get by with just a $10 a month Photoshop membership for my other business, although I will miss having Illustrator.Collapse

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:47
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Depends on your client base Dec 26, 2013

A lot of my clients sent me InDesign files. I charge extra for that and this additional charge covers the subscription fee.

The way I look at it is very simply that I get the other perks for free.
The Acrobat XI pro really gives far better conversions than anything else I've tried. I could never have justified spending GBP 400 or 18/month just on that application and would otherwise have made do with a reasonable and cheaper OCR software. But basically, my InDesign clients pa
... See more
A lot of my clients sent me InDesign files. I charge extra for that and this additional charge covers the subscription fee.

The way I look at it is very simply that I get the other perks for free.
The Acrobat XI pro really gives far better conversions than anything else I've tried. I could never have justified spending GBP 400 or 18/month just on that application and would otherwise have made do with a reasonable and cheaper OCR software. But basically, my InDesign clients pay for it.

I don't really use the other apps professionally, mostly just for playing around. Again, a toy that I wouldn't be able to justify otherwise.

Depending on your target market and your customer base, you can squeeze some extra profit out of it or pay a lot of money for nothing.

I guess, I could make do with just InDesign and a cheaper OCR, but now that I'm used to this, I wouldn't want to change back.
Collapse

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 11:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Adobe were hacked recently. Dec 27, 2013

And were very cavalier/casual about telling me weeks later that my financial information might have been put at risk!

Radian Yazynin
Radian Yazynin  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:47
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
My account was seemingly among those hacked Dec 27, 2013

as they informed me about that too. Fortunately, I haven't kept financial details there.
As for the topic, I am still using CS4 Dreamweaver and InDesign plus Acrobat 9 Pro and would most likely not switch over to CC.
An interesting fact: recently they didn't allow upgrading to CS6 from earlier releases (CS3/4/5), only directly to CC, but now this option is available...

[Edited at 2013-12-27 16:54 GMT]

Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:47
Member (2008)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the update about hacking Dec 27, 2013

They did send me a notice about it; I don't know whether they were timely or not. My password with them was unique and they don't have any financial info for me yet since I am still doing a free trial, but it is good to be reminded. If I do subscribe, I will make sure I use one of my credit cards that are more on top of fraudulent charges in case it happens again. Although my theory is that any place that has been recently hacked will be among the most secure places to do business for at leas... See more
They did send me a notice about it; I don't know whether they were timely or not. My password with them was unique and they don't have any financial info for me yet since I am still doing a free trial, but it is good to be reminded. If I do subscribe, I will make sure I use one of my credit cards that are more on top of fraudulent charges in case it happens again. Although my theory is that any place that has been recently hacked will be among the most secure places to do business for at least a little while afterwards until they start slacking off again.

[Edited at 2013-12-27 23:32 GMT]
Collapse

Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:47
Italian to English
I was victim of the hack too Dec 29, 2013

and I suspect that they were quite prompt in their notifications. I actually had a 43 dollar charge to my credit card used for the Subscription I have for file conversion and I received a regular mail letter about the hack the following day (so I imagine it had gone out quite promptly).

I have learned one lession from this: Never indicate "automatic" Subscription renewal. From now on I will renew when the Subscription expires and not automatically.

Eileen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

anyone using adobe creative cloud?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »