hybrid drive good option?
Thread poster: Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:06
Dutch to English
Jan 12, 2014

I'm (still) looking for a new laptop and have my eye on one with a hybrid drive (500GB SATA and 8GB SSD) with 8GB RAM because it's much cheaper than an equivalent laptop with 'full' SSD. Reviews of these drives warn that the 8GB of SSD used for temporary storage is insufficient for "data hungry activities" (e.g. CAD programs). Is that warning meant for me as a translator? My main CAT tools are Studio 2014, MemoQ and Memsource, and I also run xbench. I know that xbench stores data in the RAM, but... See more
I'm (still) looking for a new laptop and have my eye on one with a hybrid drive (500GB SATA and 8GB SSD) with 8GB RAM because it's much cheaper than an equivalent laptop with 'full' SSD. Reviews of these drives warn that the 8GB of SSD used for temporary storage is insufficient for "data hungry activities" (e.g. CAD programs). Is that warning meant for me as a translator? My main CAT tools are Studio 2014, MemoQ and Memsource, and I also run xbench. I know that xbench stores data in the RAM, but are those other CAT tools considered data hungry?

Thanks,

Olly
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Possibly not a good option Jan 12, 2014

I'm not an expert at all but I understand that the small SSD in hybrid drives is taken up by the OS so that start-up is particularly fast.
I considered this option recently but decided against it. I've just bought a laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad S440) with a 256 GB SSD. I'm waiting for it to arrive...

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Look for 24 GB Jan 12, 2014

My Asus Ultrabook 500 GB/24 GB is doing the job well.

Besides, 8 GB RAM should be considered as a minimum; 12 GB is a good solution.

A.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

hybrid drive good option?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »