Recommend office chairs in UK
Thread poster: Paul Harrison MITI
Paul Harrison MITI
Paul Harrison MITI
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:25
French to English
Apr 25, 2014

I'm looking to buy an office chair for under £200, and am looking for recommendations. Recommendations from the taller translator (I'm 6"4') are especially welcome.

I'm considering one o
... See more
I'm looking to buy an office chair for under £200, and am looking for recommendations. Recommendations from the taller translator (I'm 6"4') are especially welcome.

I'm considering one of these contraptions known as a posture chair: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Teknik-Ergonomic-Kneeling-Chair-Charcoal/dp/B00359Z8VE/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url

I also remember seeing a kind of stool on a spring made by a German manufacturer. I'm sure I saw it metioned on here. Does anyone know what I'm on about?

What has been your most comfortable chair, and ally against the hunched shoulders of the full-time desk jockey?
Collapse

Maria Simmen
Maria Simmen
Germany
Local time: 18:25
English to German
+ ...
Swopper Apr 25, 2014

Do you mean a Swopper? I had one briefly about 10 years ago but then had to give it back to the owner. It's an acquired taste, you'd certainly want to try it before buying one. Having said that, I liked it a lot, as did my friend who is 6"3'. You're constantly moving a little bit whilst seated, which is great for your back and legs.

Hope that helps!

Paul Harrison MITI
Paul Harrison MITI
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
That's exactly what I meant! Thanks :) Apr 25, 2014

Maria Bruessler wrote:

Do you mean a Swopper? I had one briefly about 10 years ago but then had to give it back to the owner. It's an acquired taste, you'd certainly want to try it before buying one. Having said that, I liked it a lot, as did my friend who is 6"3'. You're constantly moving a little bit whilst seated, which is great for your back and legs.

Hope that helps!

I'll have to see if I can try one before I fork out for one though. I don't mind investing in a quality, ergonomic, product but would definitely need to try one before handing over £470.

If anyone in Edinburgh has one...

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:25
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Aeron Apr 25, 2014

Personally, I would never spend that kind of money on a Swopper.

I would definitely buy a Herman Miller Aeron chair instead.

http://www.hermanmiller.co.uk/products/seating/performance-work-chairs/aeron-chairs.html

Paul Harrison MITI
Paul Harrison MITI
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Looks great, but... Apr 25, 2014

texjax DDS PhD wrote:

Personally, I would never spend that kind of money on a Swopper.

I would definitely buy a Herman Miller Aeron chair instead.

http://www.hermanmiller.co.uk/products/seating/performance-work-chairs/aeron-chairs.html

...we are definitely moving in the wrong direction price-wise!! £898 on Amazon. I'm not sure any chair could give me the type of experience I'd expect for that price. To be fair, as an investment over time it's probably not that pricey, but I thought I was being extravagant by even contemplating £470 for a stool on a spring!

Has anyone used one of those kneeling posture chairs?

Edit: Tex, it looks like you could captain a starship from the chair in your profile pic!

[Edited at 2014-04-25 14:22 GMT]

texjax DDS PhD
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
:)) Apr 25, 2014

Paul Harrison wrote:

Tex, it looks like you could captain a starship from the chair in your profile pic!

How did you guess? That's indeed what I do! (I'm the one with the fancy boots)

PS: My profile picture is actually a dental chair, not exactly the epitome of relaxation and comfort

PS2. There are different types of Aeron chairs, some - at least here in the US - are sold for as "low" as $600, which should be less than £400.
A much better investment than the $700 (and up) for a "stool on a spring", IMO...or al least these are the prices I found online for that ugly thing.

https://www.google.com/#q=swopper%20chair&tbm=shop

Paul Harrison MITI
Paul Harrison MITI
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Chairs... Apr 25, 2014

texjax DDS PhD wrote:

...but not as we know it.

If it could translate at warp speed and came with Lt. Uhura I'd be sold.

There's actually a stockist about 20 minutes from me so I may have a wander along and check out the lower end of their range.

Are chairs a case of "you get what you pay for"?

I've never sat on a mid-range chair that was any more comfortable than a £20 Ikea dining chair in the long run, maybe beacuse of my non-standard body type.

Any other recommendations are welcome!

texjax DDS PhD
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
. Apr 25, 2014

[quote]Paul Harrison wrote:

texjax DDS PhD wrote:

...but not as we know it.

Did I say that??

On another note:

Are chairs a case of "you get what you pay for"?

Yes, they are.

Paul Harrison MITI
Paul Harrison MITI
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
... Apr 25, 2014

texjax DDS PhD wrote:

Did I say that??

Not in so many words. I just didn't want to quote everything. Please don't sue

Do you own an Aeron? How long are they expected to last for? If they last 10 years or something I could accept the price tag. I'll maybe see if they do a payment plan.

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Staples Apr 25, 2014

Your profile says that you are in France but I presume that is old information. If you are indeed in the UK then you could do a lot worse than go along to a branch of Staples and try some out. I recently bought a chair in their sale (they have regular sales) for £139.99. From memory, it was half price. I have to say it's the most comfortable office chair I've ever had. I didn't have the time to go into a shop so I bought it online (next day delivery) on the understanding that I could return it ... See more
Your profile says that you are in France but I presume that is old information. If you are indeed in the UK then you could do a lot worse than go along to a branch of Staples and try some out. I recently bought a chair in their sale (they have regular sales) for £139.99. From memory, it was half price. I have to say it's the most comfortable office chair I've ever had. I didn't have the time to go into a shop so I bought it online (next day delivery) on the understanding that I could return it (they'll just come and pick it up) if I wasn't happy. Hard to argue with that.

Edited to add: Oops sorry, could have sworn it said "France". Sorry about that.

[Edited at 2014-04-25 16:01 GMT]
Collapse

Paul Harrison MITI
Paul Harrison MITI
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Just moved Apr 25, 2014

Lisa Simpson, MCIL MITI wrote:

Your profile says that you are in France but I presume that is old information. If you are indeed in the UK then you could do a lot worse than go along to a branch of Staples and try some out. I recently bought a chair in their sale (they have regular sales) for £139.99. From memory, it was half price. I have to say it's the most comfortable office chair I've ever had. I didn't have the time to go into a shop so I bought it online (next day delivery) on the understanding that I could return it (they'll just come and pick it up) if I wasn't happy. Hard to argue with that.

I just moved back to the UK, and updated my profile this morning... strange it still shows as France.

I'll have a look at Staples as well. Unfortunately their website is down at the moment but a chair is something I'd be wary of buying online anyway, like jeans. I don't know why but the only shop I had in mind was Ikea...

As for Herman Miller, I called up the stockist and it seems like a reassuringly exclusive purchasing experience: closed weekends and by appointment!

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Herman Miller Apr 25, 2014

There are other H.M. chairs that are cheaper than the Aeron. You could also do worse than look out for one on eBay.

Paul Harrison MITI
Paul Harrison MITI
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
HM Apr 25, 2014

Lisa Simpson, MCIL MITI wrote:

There are other H.M. chairs that are cheaper than the Aeron. You could also do worse than look out for one on eBay.

I'm hoping that the shop has a few different models. I saw some models in the £400-£600 range when I googled them so we'll see.

My current plan of action is to try Staples over the weekend, then park my bum on a Herman Miller on Monday and see if the difference in comfort warrants the investment. If not, back to Staples

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Back to Staples Apr 25, 2014

FWIW, mine was the "Ergo Mesh Chair" - you're right, the website's down.

texjax DDS PhD
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Options Apr 25, 2014

Paul Harrison wrote:

Do you own an Aeron? How long are they expected to last for? If they last 10 years or something I could accept the price tag.

Hi Paul,

I don't own one (yet) but I am in the process of redoing my office and I've been actively looking for options for a while. I tried different types of chairs and so far the Aeron seems the most comfortable to me.
True, it comes with a hefty price tag but one should also take into consideration the fact that we spend an awful long time sitting in front of the computer. And, last but not least, it's a business expense so the price will be wholly or partly offset by the subsequent tax deduction. In the beginning I was considering a cheaper option but after much consideration now I'm leaning toward a high-quality piece (after all, my buttocks deserve the best!). I haven't made my final decision yet.

As far as the durability, it seems a solid and well-constructed piece. Many offices of the US Navy are equipped with these types of chairs, which makes me think that they can last a long time and withstand intensive use.

Lisa's advice of trying before you buy is very sound. I've never heard of an appointment for looking at a chair, though.

I would definitely shop around and try different models of different brands to see what best fits your needs. If this can be of any help, Aeron comes in three sizes, which can be a plus for "non-standard body types".

Ciao!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recommend office chairs in UK

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »