Rasa Mikalauskaite
Belgium
Local time: 17:06
Member (2016)
Dutch to Lithuanian
+ ...
Nov 26, 2014

Hello everyone,

Lenovo owners, what is your opinion on this Lenovo laptop (memory size, speed) and Lenovo for translation (using CAT tools) in genaral?

Thank you!

Tobias Werner
Tobias Werner  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 18:06
English to German
+ ...
Should be more than sufficient Nov 26, 2014

Hi,

I am currently working on a X200s with 1.86 GHz ULV processor in a docking station, upgraded to 256 SSD and 8 GB RAM. This device works just fine for almost all of my tasks using CAT so far. There were very rare occasions where I had the feeling I could need some more speed.

But just yesterday I ordered a X230, mainly to be able to use 16 GB of RAM, a slightly faster processor and the illuminated keyboard. I can let you know in some time how this one performs on dai
... See more
Hi,

I am currently working on a X200s with 1.86 GHz ULV processor in a docking station, upgraded to 256 SSD and 8 GB RAM. This device works just fine for almost all of my tasks using CAT so far. There were very rare occasions where I had the feeling I could need some more speed.

But just yesterday I ordered a X230, mainly to be able to use 16 GB of RAM, a slightly faster processor and the illuminated keyboard. I can let you know in some time how this one performs on daily tasks, but I guess it will be just fine.

Tobias

[Bearbeitet am 2014-11-26 15:51 GMT]
Collapse

Alexander Vareiko
Alexander Vareiko  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
Pay attantion to RAM Nov 26, 2014

I think 4 GB RAM would be insufficient, especially if you work with many CAT-tools. Try to find similar laptop with 8GB.

Tobias Werner
Estonia
English to German
+ ...
Easy to upgrade Nov 26, 2014

Lenovo Thinkpads can be easily upgraded. This particular model holds up to 16 GB of RAM. Just remove the memory cover on bottom of the unit and replace the old 2 x 2 GB RAM with 2 x 4 GB or 2 x 8 GB.

[Bearbeitet am 2014-11-26 18:09 GMT]

Rasa Mikalauskaite
Rasa Mikalauskaite
Belgium
Member (2016)
Dutch to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lenovo X230 i5, 4 GB, 256 GB SSD Nov 26, 2014

Tobias Werner wrote:

Lenovo Thinkpads can be easily upgraded. This particular model holds up to 16 GB of RAM. Just remove the memory cover on bottom of the unit and replace the old 2 x 2 GB RAM with 2 x 4 GB or 2 x 8 GB.

[Bearbeitet am 2014-11-26 18:09 GMT]

Very interesting. And how much does it cost additionally? Maybe it is better to go immediately for T430 (8 GB, 180 GB SSD) or X240 (8 GB, 128 SSD), my other options within my price range? I've heard a lot of excellent things about the SSD experience when compared to the traditional HHD; how essential is it for translation work actually?

Thanks again.

Jutta Deichselberger
Jutta Deichselberger  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
SSD is wonderful Nov 26, 2014

It is as fast as lightning. My computer starts in 15 seconds!!! When you are used to it you cannot do without any more...
I have to drives on my desktop PC. A normal one for the data, and a SSD drive for the programs. It is really fantastic, and Trados starts in few seconds!

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Definitely recommended Nov 26, 2014

I second the opinions above, and would add a bit more:
1. The Thinkpad X family is very reliable and abuse-resistant, just as the larger-size Thinkpad T. Apart from ruggedised notebooks like Getac or Panasonic Toughbook, they are among the most dependable hardware on the market.
2. If you upgrade your RAM over 4 GB, you have to run 64-bit Windows to utilise it. If you need the 32-bit version of Windows for compatibility reasons (e.g. if you still have to run old 16-bit software, suc
... See more
1. The Thinkpad X family is very reliable and abuse-resistant, just as the larger-size Thinkpad T. Apart from ruggedised notebooks like Getac or Panasonic Toughbook, they are among the most dependable hardware on the market.
2. If you upgrade your RAM over 4 GB, you have to run 64-bit Windows to utilise it. If you need the 32-bit version of Windows for compatibility reasons (e.g. if you still have to run old 16-bit software, such as some electronic dictionaries from the early 2000s), it won't see any memory above 4 GB (actually, above 3 and a change).
3. SSD is definitely the way to go. Today's SSDs are not only much faster than HDDs, they are also a lot more reliable. If you drop a notebook with a working HDD, you stand a serious chance of losing all the data. With SSD, you may break the notebook, but your precious data will most likely stay intact. The price difference between SSDs and HDDs is also shrinking fast.
Collapse

Tobias Werner
Estonia
English to German
+ ...
Recommend X230 plus upgrade Nov 26, 2014

Rasa Mikalauskaite wrote:

Very interesting. And how much does it cost additionally? Maybe it is better to go immediately for T430 (8 GB, 180 GB SSD) or X240 (8 GB, 128 SSD), my other options within my price range? I've heard a lot of excellent things about the SSD experience when compared to the traditional HHD; how essential is it for translation work actually?

Thanks again.

I don't know about Belgium, but in Germany you can get 2 x 4 GB starting from around 70 Euro, 2 x 8 GB about 130 Euro. That would be Corsair Select RAM or something alike.

A fast SSD is a must for large databases as commonly used with CAT tools!!

The X240 is nice, but it supports only 8 GB of RAM (stupid Ultrabook specifications), whereas the X230 supports 16 GB. The only main advantage of the X240 (to me) is that it is available with Full HD resolution.

Also in the X240 they are using some ULV processors (only?!), that is ultra low voltage. That means they targeted at very long battery life, but the performance is a little lower than in the i5 and i7 of the X230 (more power, but shorter battery life). That is what I have read in numerous reviews. Also the X240 has the "new" touchpad which I tried using in the shop and didn't like at all (I have been using ThinkPads for many years and prefer the old version with dedicated mouse buttons).

The T430 is definitely nice, but is a lot bigger and heavier than the X series. The maximum amount of RAM here is also 16 GB. If you need a bigger screen than in the X series but are afraid of the additional weight, look out for the "S" in T430s. This is the slim version and a lot lighter than the T430.

My recommendation would be the X230 with the larger 256 GB SSD and upgrading to 16 GB of RAM. Connect that to a docking station and a big screen, so you have a real power house in a very small package, that can be carried with ease.

Or wait for the X250 which should be announced probably by the end of the year, but probably expensive at the beginning.

[Bearbeitet am 2014-11-26 22:02 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2014-11-26 23:23 GMT]

NetLynx
NetLynx  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Recommend FHD as well Nov 26, 2014

My ThinkPad is T540p, i5, 250 SSD, 16 GB.
Chosen for its numerical pad (often used for special characters, great advantage), and the FHD display (1920x1080) which I strongly recommend, both for text, pictures and CAT.
Only disadvantage is its strange touchpad that I totally replace by a wireless mouse.
Its battery life is 3-4 hours which is rather low; therefore ULV might be attactive, but haven't seen them for this ThinkPad.

Good luck
NetLynx

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Display size and resolution Nov 27, 2014

Lenovo owners, what is your opinion on this Lenovo laptop (memory size, speed) and Lenovo for translation (using CAT tools) in genaral?

The current model in the X Series range is X240. All displays are 12.5", but they are available with two resolutions: 1366x768 and 1920x1080. For most CAT tools, you would definitely want the latter, because 1366x768 won't accommodate them very well. However, 1920x1080 on a 12.5" display might result in something hard to read, depending on your vision. If so, you may want to consider the T440s instead: it's only marginally heavier than the X240, but comes with a 14" display. The "s" model is the one you'd want, as it's the thinner/lighter model. It's also more expensive than the corresponding "non-s" models. Have a look at the current tabook.pdf for comparing specs.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 00:06
Chinese to English
+ ...
Optical Drive Nov 27, 2014

Don't think the X series come with optical drives. You'll likely need to get an external one. Also, if you're getting one with SSD, you'll likely need an external hard drive too.

Rasa Mikalauskaite
Rasa Mikalauskaite
Belgium
Member (2016)
Dutch to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Resolution Nov 27, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

The current model in the X Series range is X240. All displays are 12.5", but they are available with two resolutions: 1366x768 and 1920x1080. For most CAT tools, you would definitely want the latter, because 1366x768 won't accommodate them very well. However, 1920x1080 on a 12.5" display might result in something hard to read, depending on your vision. If so, you may want to consider the T440s instead: it's only marginally heavier than the X240, but comes with a 14" display. The "s" model is the one you'd want, as it's the thinner/lighter model. It's also more expensive than the corresponding "non-s" models. Have a look at the current tabook.pdf for comparing specs.

A very useful exposition of the resolution and display problems I keep hearing about, thanks. I kind of understood that that's the main issue with X230 for many.
May I ask which option did you choose yourself (assuming you've got a Lenovo too)?

Rasa Mikalauskaite
Rasa Mikalauskaite
Belgium
Member (2016)
Dutch to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Guinea pig:) Nov 27, 2014

Tobias Werner wrote:

Hi,

But just yesterday I ordered a X230, mainly to be able to use 16 GB of RAM, a slightly faster processor and the illuminated keyboard. I can let you know in some time how this one performs on daily tasks, but I guess it will be just fine.

Tobias

[Bearbeitet am 2014-11-26 15:51 GMT]

I would gladly hear from you how in is going, yes. Looking forward:)

Rasa Mikalauskaite
Rasa Mikalauskaite
Belgium
Member (2016)
Dutch to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree Nov 27, 2014

Anton Konashenok wrote:

2. If you upgrade your RAM over 4 GB, you have to run 64-bit Windows to utilise it. If you need the 32-bit version of Windows for compatibility reasons (e.g. if you still have to run old 16-bit software, such as some electronic dictionaries from the early 2000s), it won't see any memory above 4 GB (actually, above 3 and a change).
3. SSD is definitely the way to go. Today's SSDs are not only much faster than HDDs, they are also a lot more reliable. If you drop a notebook with a working HDD, you stand a serious chance of losing all the data. With SSD, you may break the notebook, but your precious data will most likely stay intact. The price difference between SSDs and HDDs is also shrinking fast.

Thanks, I thought so.

Rasa Mikalauskaite
Rasa Mikalauskaite
Belgium
Member (2016)
Dutch to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 27, 2014

[/quote]

I don't know about Belgium, but in Germany you can get 2 x 4 GB starting from around 70 Euro, 2 x 8 GB about 130 Euro. That would be Corsair Select RAM or something alike.

The X240 is nice, but it supports only 8 GB of RAM (stupid Ultrabook specifications), whereas the X230 supports 16 GB. The only main advantage of the X240 (to me) is that it is available with Full H
... See more
[/quote]

The X240 is nice, but it supports only 8 GB of RAM (stupid Ultrabook specifications), whereas the X230 supports 16 GB. The only main advantage of the X240 (to me) is that it is available with Full HD resolution.

Also in the X240 they are using some ULV processors (only?!), that is ultra low voltage. That means they targeted at very long battery life, but the performance is a little lower than in the i5 and i7 of the X230 (more power, but shorter battery life). That is what I have read in numerous reviews. Also the X240 has the "new" touchpad which I tried using in the shop and didn't like at all (I have been using ThinkPads for many years and prefer the old version with dedicated mouse buttons).

The T430 is definitely nice, but is a lot bigger and heavier than the X series. The maximum amount of RAM here is also 16 GB. If you need a bigger screen than in the X series but are afraid of the additional weight, look out for the "S" in T430s. This is the slim version and a lot lighter than the T430.

My recommendation would be the X230 with the larger 256 GB SSD and upgrading to 16 GB of RAM. Connect that to a docking station and a big screen, so you have a real power house in a very small package, that can be carried with ease.

Or wait for the X250 which should be announced probably by the end of the year, but probably expensive at the beginning.

[Bearbeitet am 2014-11-26 22:02 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2014-11-26 23:23 GMT] [/quote]

I real pleasure to get such elaborated, clear answers on technical matters, all of you actually.
And they say that translators are mere humanitarians:)
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lenovo X230 i5, 4 GB, 256 GB SSD

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »