Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:01
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes Sep 25, 2015

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Do you find that the 1920 x 1080 res of your BenQ is good enough on a 27" screen?

Yes- "good enough" would not be the appropriate phrase - it's marvellous ! And the screen is big enough to view 2 A4 documents side by side.

[Edited at 2015-09-25 08:03 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:02
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The whole point Sep 25, 2015

Tom in London wrote:
The whole point of a laptop is that it should be small.

No... the whole point of a laptop is that it should be portable. No-one is saying that you should be able to *use* the laptop in confined spaces. If that is what you want, then obviously you need a small laptop.

You know those fold-down little tables on seat backs on British trains? The ones with the turned-up sides? If your laptop won't fit on one of these, it's too big. Or on a Ryanair fold-down table.

You shouldn't be using those tables anyway, but your lap. Your lap is much bigger than that little table. Besides, on your lap you are able to tilt the laptop to get a comfortable viewing angle.

If you buy a Mac and you buy an extra B I G W I D E display to plug into it (not necessarily an Apple one) you'll have the best of both worlds.

Yes, I tried to do that once: packed not only my laptop but also my 22" monitor into my suitcase, when I went on a journey, but it was *heavy*, and I found that I could use the large screen only when I stayed in one location for some time, because assembling the monitor takes time, and oh, don't forget, you need a power source to use the monitor. And a table. A large laptop, on the other hand, can be used on your lap or on any table "on the go".

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:02
German to English
+ ...
17" Windows laptop owner Sep 25, 2015

When I bought my last laptop, I figured I might as well get a slightly bigger screen to stare at all day! I don't think I'd go back to a smaller screen now. I bought a smaller (maybe 11-13") laptop years ago to be 'portable' but barely used it because the keyboard was too small! I take it on holiday in case I need to deal with any work or personal stuff while away but that's it.

I generally work from co-working spaces and the 17" fits in a small rucksack so it's no problem to carry
... See more
When I bought my last laptop, I figured I might as well get a slightly bigger screen to stare at all day! I don't think I'd go back to a smaller screen now. I bought a smaller (maybe 11-13") laptop years ago to be 'portable' but barely used it because the keyboard was too small! I take it on holiday in case I need to deal with any work or personal stuff while away but that's it.

I generally work from co-working spaces and the 17" fits in a small rucksack so it's no problem to carry around. Don't catch the train much so I can't comment there!
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
I use a MacBook Pro 13-inch on holidays Sep 25, 2015

Like this:

And this:

[Edited at 2015-09-25 10:21 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:02
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
I always wonder why... Sep 25, 2015

... some translators have been working on their laptops on the very same table for years, plugged to the AC mains. They don't even know if the battery still works, but it's a laptop, supposedly designed for portability, not user comfort.

The keys are crammed together, many functions require the Fn key, the touchscreen mouse is not as quickly accurate as a trackball, and the screen is always smaller than what they'd like it to be. Some solve these problems by means of a docking stati
... See more
... some translators have been working on their laptops on the very same table for years, plugged to the AC mains. They don't even know if the battery still works, but it's a laptop, supposedly designed for portability, not user comfort.

The keys are crammed together, many functions require the Fn key, the touchscreen mouse is not as quickly accurate as a trackball, and the screen is always smaller than what they'd like it to be. Some solve these problems by means of a docking station, which provides more comfortable human interfaces, however the processor and everything else are still cooled by a 1" dia. fan, unlike a desktop where a few fans, some up to 4" dia. prevent overheating.

Usually, there is no (room for a) cooler specific for the GPU (graphics processing unit). So the nVidia chip overheats, melts the soldering, and helps developing a profitable reballing industry, as replacing the video board in a notebook is not such a simple operation as in a full-size desktop.

Some translators use a notebook because they are allegedly always on the move. I try to envision them furiously typing in cars stopped at traffic lights while driving kids to/from school, or maybe while riding escalators at malls, in elevators, crowded buses and trams, etc.

... some translators force Macs to run/emulate Windows, so they can use the software they want/need.

First of all, I have nothing against Apple. My very first computer was an Apple II, and it was the last one for which I could write relatively complex software.

When I was on the move from the Apple II to the PC-XT, I bought a board named Trackstar 128. It ran an Apple II within (sic!) the PC, and provided for file conversion. I even wrote (in Applesoft BASIC, of course) software to convert all my diacritic-laden word processor files in Portuguese from the Apple to the PC. After I converted all files, it was time to get rid of the Apple II, and get used to MS-DOS, and the icon-less Windows 2.01 for PageMaker 3.0.

I understand that the Macintosh is a symbol of status. An older Mac will have more status than the fanciest new PC, just like an older Mercedes will have more status than the latest Volkswagen luxury car.

I understand that not having a Mac prevents me from profitably localizing video where there is intensive text animation and pyrotechnics, so I refer these jobs to colleagues who do it. On the other hand, the PC lets me do plain-vanilla subtitling much more efficiently.

What beats me is why so many translators claim that they use Parallels, Boot Camp, VMWare and others so they can run their favorite CAT tool on their Mac. The image that comes to my mind is something like this, reversed:

(I couldn't find a Rolls with VW Beetle front.)
Collapse

DorothyX (X)
DorothyX (X)
France
External screen Sep 25, 2015

A 13" or 15" screen is definitely too small. It is suitable for translating a Word document, but as soon as one has an Excel sheet or a PDF to translate it asks for eyestrain problems.

After years with an external screen I worked for several months on a 17" laptop. In case of two or more documents I could not display them at the same time, and this meant endless switching using Alt + tab. I went back to my dual etup using a large 22" external screen for use in my office.
... See more
A 13" or 15" screen is definitely too small. It is suitable for translating a Word document, but as soon as one has an Excel sheet or a PDF to translate it asks for eyestrain problems.

After years with an external screen I worked for several months on a 17" laptop. In case of two or more documents I could not display them at the same time, and this meant endless switching using Alt + tab. I went back to my dual etup using a large 22" external screen for use in my office.

The same goes for the keyboard. Without an external keyboard the distance between screen and body is too long => backache problems.

Ideal setup: 15 or 17" laptop + external screen, keyboard and mouse + typist chair and typist table (the screen should be positioned slightly lower than your eyes, and the keyboard at a comfortable height). And you can still disconnect the laptop for working in the train or in a hotel (you'll immediately see the difference with your home or office setup).

Buying a Mac for this is something like buying a Mercedes or BMW for doing daily commuting.
(I also much appreciated the Windows 10 remark )
Collapse

Julie Dion (X)
Julie Dion (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:02
English to French
Apple store visit Sep 26, 2015

Hi,

If you have an Apple Store nearby, go play with both machines. I did and it helped me make up my mind.

I am also looking at buying a new macbook pro soon. I have owned 17" mac laptops for the past 10 years or so and running Windows/Trados on them. I too was wondering between the 13" and 15" and thinking the latter was a bit pricey.

I spent time on both machines. Opening my favourite web pages and running a couple of apps and switching between them. Basi
... See more
Hi,

If you have an Apple Store nearby, go play with both machines. I did and it helped me make up my mind.

I am also looking at buying a new macbook pro soon. I have owned 17" mac laptops for the past 10 years or so and running Windows/Trados on them. I too was wondering between the 13" and 15" and thinking the latter was a bit pricey.

I spent time on both machines. Opening my favourite web pages and running a couple of apps and switching between them. Basically trying to reproduce how I work.

My heart wanted that cute little and light 13" laptop, but my head and hands-on store experience tell me to go for the 15" Macbook pro. And that is what I am going to do. The 13" screen is just a little too tight for my taste.

Good luck.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:02
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Everyday use, every day, all the time Sep 28, 2015

A laptop is too small for everyday use, every day, all the time, as your main computer.

If you try to compensate for that by purchasing an enormous, heavy laptop, then you won't be able to use it in confined spaces when travelling on trains, in aeroplanes, in cars even. A big laptop will be useless until you get to your destination. So what's the point of it?

A laptop can be used as your main computer if you plug a big display into it and run it in clamshell mode (i.e.
... See more
A laptop is too small for everyday use, every day, all the time, as your main computer.

If you try to compensate for that by purchasing an enormous, heavy laptop, then you won't be able to use it in confined spaces when travelling on trains, in aeroplanes, in cars even. A big laptop will be useless until you get to your destination. So what's the point of it?

A laptop can be used as your main computer if you plug a big display into it and run it in clamshell mode (i.e. with the lid shut).

[Edited at 2015-09-28 12:48 GMT]
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:02
Finnish to French
Laptop perfectly workable as main/sole computer Sep 29, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

I disagree. My only/main computer is a laptop that weighs 1.3 kg, yet has a 14" display (2560x1440), a full-size keyboard, a 500GB SSD and an i7 CPU. For my needs, I can’t think of a situation where it would be too small or not powerful enough.
Tom in London wrote:
A laptop can be used as your main computer if you plug a big display into it and run it in clamshell mode (i.e. with the lid shut).

That’s not the way I use mine. In fact, I only connect an external monitor when I give webinars (I use it to see questions from attendants and other administrative stuff related to the webinar).
To each their own...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What screen size to get for new laptop?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »