How can I separate my Twitter lists/groups in different streams (help!)
Thread poster: Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:12
French to English
May 18, 2012

I'm currently following just under 300 people. Initially I planned to just use twitter for work-related reasons, but there's a lot on there, non-work related (music, sport, politics, etc.), but having it all shown in one continuous stream is complicated and confusing.

Am I right in thinking that, in the standard Twitter interface, the way to do this is to assign the people I'm following into lists, and then just click on the list to show just those people's tweets at any one time?... See more
I'm currently following just under 300 people. Initially I planned to just use twitter for work-related reasons, but there's a lot on there, non-work related (music, sport, politics, etc.), but having it all shown in one continuous stream is complicated and confusing.

Am I right in thinking that, in the standard Twitter interface, the way to do this is to assign the people I'm following into lists, and then just click on the list to show just those people's tweets at any one time?

I've also downloaded Tweetdeck, which I don't use much (yet), and I've read a little about groups - it seems that if I put the people I follow into groups, I can create one column per group and achieve a similar effect, is that correct?

Any thoughts on which approach is best? I would prefer not to blindly opt for one of them, put everyone into lists/groups, which appears time consuming, at least for the one list on Twitter I have created so far, and then find I should have picked the other option (or some technique entirely)

Thanks for any light you can shed

[Título editado por el personal o un moderador 2012-05-18 15:44 GMT]
Collapse

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Have you considered separate accounts? May 18, 2012

That's what I do. Haven't got into lists yet myself but I think you're right about the basic principle of them.

You can be logged into two accounts at the same time by opening one in 'In private browsing' if you're using Internet Explorer. That can't be any more fiddly than switching between lists can it? Unless Tweetdeck etc. makes it easier...

Charlie Bavington
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
I did consider it... May 18, 2012

... but I prefer not to if possible.
Yet another username and password to remember, if nothing else. If not several of them: cbavingtonmusic, cbavingtonsport, cbavingtonnews... the list is potentially endless and doesn't really solve the underlying problem, I think...

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TweetDeck or HootSuite are good options May 18, 2012

Dear Charlie,

With TweetDeck or HootSuite you can create separate columns for lists, search terms or for specific hashtags you follow.

See

In that way to can read the tweets in the order you want.

You can even send tweets, reply, retweet from these platforms without th
... See more
Dear Charlie,

With TweetDeck or HootSuite you can create separate columns for lists, search terms or for specific hashtags you follow.

See

In that way to can read the tweets in the order you want.

You can even send tweets, reply, retweet from these platforms without the need to sign in on Twitter.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Romina
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks.... May 18, 2012

RominaZ wrote:

Dear Charlie,

And if I create the lists in Twitter itself, does Tweetdeck pick them up?
In other words, if I go down the "twitter lists" route, I could use them in Twitter itself and in Tweetdeck?

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, you can create streams from your Twitter lists May 18, 2012

Dear Charlie,

Yes, you can create streams from your Twitter lists. For example, this image shows how you can add a stream from your existing lists on Twitter on Hootsuite.

As you see the platform gives you the option to select from the lists you have created on your Twitter account.
... See more
Dear Charlie,

Yes, you can create streams from your Twitter lists. For example, this image shows how you can add a stream from your existing lists on Twitter on Hootsuite.

As you see the platform gives you the option to select from the lists you have created on your Twitter account.

And this is what it looks like on TweetDeck

Collapse

Charlie Bavington
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - and a supplementary question May 18, 2012

I did a quick experiment, added a handful of people to a list in Twitter, then created a column just for that list on Tweetdeck, and it does what I'm looking for.

I wonder, it is possible then to create a column that just shows people NOT in any list? This would catch the people I've missed and the odd miscelleneous tweeter who doesn't fit into one of my 9 potential lists.... Perhaps I just need to make sure everyone goes somewhere.

Anyway, thanks for your help, I reck
... See more
I did a quick experiment, added a handful of people to a list in Twitter, then created a column just for that list on Tweetdeck, and it does what I'm looking for.

I wonder, it is possible then to create a column that just shows people NOT in any list? This would catch the people I've missed and the odd miscelleneous tweeter who doesn't fit into one of my 9 potential lists.... Perhaps I just need to make sure everyone goes somewhere.

Anyway, thanks for your help, I reckon I can get cracking (slowly - adding people to a list seems to take ages!)

Have a fine weekend
Charlie
Collapse

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
One stream can show you all the tweets from the people you follow May 18, 2012

Dear Charlie,

One of the streams will show all the tweets from the people you are following (no matter if they are in a list or not).

Also, if you create a stream for a certain hashtag, for example the one for translation, #xl8, you will read all the tweets from any person tweeting with that hashtag (no matter if you are following them or not). You can also create a stream to read all the tweets using a particular word, etc. This gives you the option to read all the twe
... See more
Dear Charlie,

One of the streams will show all the tweets from the people you are following (no matter if they are in a list or not).

Also, if you create a stream for a certain hashtag, for example the one for translation, #xl8, you will read all the tweets from any person tweeting with that hashtag (no matter if you are following them or not). You can also create a stream to read all the tweets using a particular word, etc. This gives you the option to read all the tweets related to an area your are interested without having to follow everyone and to discover and meet people sharing your interest.

Romina
Collapse

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Video Tutorials May 18, 2012

Hi Charlie,

Here are some video tutorials on how to use TweetDeck http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av9LeeowTmw&feature=related

and using Twitter Lists in TweetDeck http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMCmN3AiY6M

Romina

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:12
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Social Bro May 18, 2012

I recommend using http://www.socialbro.com/ to organise your lists. Create a list on Twitter or on Social Bro. Make it private if you don't want everyone else to know your preferences. (I don't recommend creating a public list called "pretty boring people").

Now go to Social Bro, click on "friends" (that's what "following" is called there) and select as many as you like using single clicks, shift+c
... See more
I recommend using http://www.socialbro.com/ to organise your lists. Create a list on Twitter or on Social Bro. Make it private if you don't want everyone else to know your preferences. (I don't recommend creating a public list called "pretty boring people").

Now go to Social Bro, click on "friends" (that's what "following" is called there) and select as many as you like using single clicks, shift+click, or mouse dragging clicks. Got to "add to a list" at the bottom. And that's it.

Then you can view your lists on Twitter or on another app (I recommend HootSuite).

Good luck and get organised!
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again May 18, 2012

I shall attack some of these options at my leisure (rare night out tonight, so I need to start scrubbing up soon!)

I'm sure these options will cover my needs, one way or the other!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How can I separate my Twitter lists/groups in different streams (help!)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »