Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12] >
BaccS - Windows-based management and invoicing software for translators
Thread poster: Eugene Kuchynski
Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
ProZ Plus and BaccS May 9, 2019

I already have an answer from BaccS developer (answer = not in the immediate pipeline, no ETA), but since its inclusion in the ProZ Plus basket of features, BaccS is now also available as a Web-version.

http://www.ibaccs.com/Home/Pricing

In this light, I would like to ask whether it would make sense that ProZ Plus offered its members access to either the offline Windows-only F
... See more
I already have an answer from BaccS developer (answer = not in the immediate pipeline, no ETA), but since its inclusion in the ProZ Plus basket of features, BaccS is now also available as a Web-version.

In this light, I would like to ask whether it would make sense that ProZ Plus offered its members access to either the offline Windows-only Freelance edition, or the online Web-version.

Since ProZ Plus is offered to translators that may work on a Mac or a GNU/Linux computer, it would make sense to ensure the ProZ Plus benefits cater to as many members as possible.

The offered CAT tool (CafeTran Espresso) is an offline, but cross-platform program. Could ProZ Plus offer an option to use the online Web-version of BaccS too? That would make the ROI much more meaningful for Mac and GNU/Linux users.

Jean

[Edited at 2019-05-09 15:15 GMT]
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:05
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
That does the job May 9, 2019

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

Hi John,

Not sure if this is what you need, but if you click on the small funnel icon in the top right of the 'Work st.' column header you can select which statuses to display. If you have changed the status to invoiced then you can filter for that.

Cheers,

Olly

Thanks, that's helpful.

Matthijs Frankena
Matthijs Frankena  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:05
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
But what about SDL now offering BaccS as an SDL product? May 15, 2019

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

In this light, I would like to ask whether it would make sense that ProZ Plus offered its members access to either the offline Windows-only Freelance edition, or the online Web-version.

(...)
Jean

[Edited at 2019-05-09 15:15 GMT]

Yesterday I learned that SDL has added BaccS to its stall of products for translators. I've not been able to find any information on what that means for us existing BaccS users - how about updates/upgrades? Integration with SDL products is not important to me, as I rarely get to set up a project in Studio and use the analysis for a quote. Most often I either get a project package from a client, or they require me to work in a different CAT tool.

I've asked this also in the SDL community for BaccS, but maybe people here (hi, Eugene!) know more.

BR,

Matthijs

John Fossey

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
BaccS has been bought by SDL May 15, 2019

Matthijs Frankena wrote:

Yesterday I learned that SDL has added BaccS to its stall of products for translators.

It seems that BaccS has even be bought by SDL.

Eugene Kuchynski
Eugene Kuchynski
Belarus
Local time: 14:05
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Not so easy May 15, 2019

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Since ProZ Plus is offered to translators that may work on a Mac or a GNU/Linux computer, it would make sense to ensure the ProZ Plus benefits cater to as many members as possible.

The offered CAT tool (CafeTran Espresso) is an offline, but cross-platform program. Could ProZ Plus offer an option to use the online Web-version of BaccS too? That would make the ROI much more meaningful for Mac and GNU/Linux users.

Jean]

Hello, Jean,
Thank you for commenting. I posted previous reply before yours (but mine took longer to publish as I'm not PRO user, and it required moderation).
Things aren't so easy with web version, as currently it is not offered to freelancers. While desktop version doesn't have any hosting-related costs.

Yesterday I learned that SDL has added BaccS to its stall of products for translators. I've not been able to find any information on what that means for us existing BaccS users - how about updates/upgrades? Integration with SDL products is not important to me, as I rarely get to set up a project in Studio and use the analysis for a quote. Most often I either get a project package from a client, or they require me to work in a different CAT tool.

I've asked this also in the SDL community for BaccS, but maybe people here (hi, Eugene!) know more.

BR,

Matthijs

Hello, Matthijs,

We will answer you soon on community forums. Sorry for short delay about this. Nobody still got version 5. Thank you for asking! I suppose there will be some announce soon.

And in case of additional questions, welcome to our new community forums (see link in Matthijs' post)!

Thanks to everyone who supported during these years! It was exciting, and it will be even more exciting.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:05
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
From the SDL website May 15, 2019

Matthijs Frankena wrote:

BR,

Matthijs

From the BaccS FAQ on the SDL website:

I am an existing BaccS user. Will I still be able to use it?

Existing BaccS customers will be offered a free upgrade to the next two versions of BaccS, starting with Version 5.

Customers will be offered free Support and Maintenance for as long as Version 5 remains the latest release.

[Edited at 2019-05-15 18:18 GMT]

Alexandra Stephens
Alexandra Stephens  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Invoicing and numbering in BaccS May 29, 2019

I am just getting started with BaccS and I really love it in many ways, it loads of very useful features...but I'm stuck with invoicing.

I have been a TO3000 user for years and was thrilled at the successful migration over to BaccS (I gave up on the initial version because of the poor migration!), all set up and running, but I've since come up against two issues that are driving me mad!

1 - I can't work out how to get BaccS to automatically number jobs sequentially by
... See more
I am just getting started with BaccS and I really love it in many ways, it loads of very useful features...but I'm stuck with invoicing.

I have been a TO3000 user for years and was thrilled at the successful migration over to BaccS (I gave up on the initial version because of the poor migration!), all set up and running, but I've since come up against two issues that are driving me mad!

1 - I can't work out how to get BaccS to automatically number jobs sequentially by customer code, but to number invoices sequentially for the year.

2 - I am completely stumped on how to use my own invoice template and generate viewable and printable invoices quickly. The template editor seems really complicated and not intuitive at all... in fact I'm having to duplicate all my jobs back in TO3000 so I can invoice them quickly.

Please help!! I really want to use BaccS exclusively, I think it's great and I'm learning loads, but I really don't want to have to become a coder/programmer just to set up my invoices how I want them!

Another thing is the default file location and structure in BaccS, it seems impossible to personalise the structure, but that's less of a priority for me than the invoicing issue...

Thanks in advance
Collapse

Eugene Kuchynski
Eugene Kuchynski
Belarus
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
It can handle it May 29, 2019

Alexandra Stephens wrote:

2 - I am completely stumped on how to use my own invoice template and generate viewable and printable invoices quickly. The template editor seems really complicated and not intuitive at all... in fact I'm having to duplicate all my jobs back in TO3000 so I can invoice them quickly.

Please help!! I really want to use BaccS exclusively, I think it's great and I'm learning loads, but I really don't want to have to become a coder/programmer just to set up my invoices how I want them!

Hello, Alexandra,

Thanks for nice words! Flexibility and customization support implicitly leads to increased complexity. Each translator who starts with BaccS finds template designer too complex. With time, it becomes simple. It has too much features, but this had another side - during all these years there were NO SINGLE request for invoice template customization, which was impossible to implement. Any complexity, any requirements.
Because of this, I (we) offer free customization of one invoice template for each user. Or you can use community to ask questions about individual small tasks when working with designer. No need to be coder to do it Just need understanding of table structure and template structure. Did you check this:
Documentation - template designer

Alexandra Stephens wrote:

1 - I can't work out how to get BaccS to automatically number jobs sequentially by customer code, but to number invoices sequentially for the year.

Settings > Application settings, p1 > Numbering system (jobs) > Per customer code
Settings > Application settings, p1 > Numbering system (invoices) > Sequential
Settings > Invoice settings > Reset numbering each year

Another thing is the default file location and structure in BaccS, it seems impossible to personalise the structure, but that's less of a priority for me than the invoicing issue...

Settings > Job settings > Default folder with work files
Settings > Job settings > Job folder name template
Settings > Job settings > Folders inside job folder

And link to description of these fields:
Documentation - Settings

Matthijs Frankena
Matthijs Frankena  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
New developments for Proz Plus users? Oct 11, 2019

Matthijs Frankena wrote:

BR,

Matthijs

Not much happening in the way of information on developments regarding BaccS and my ProZ membership. No new releases for those who didn't buy BaccS directly, but got it through ProZ. SDL now calls it SDL Trados Business Manager.

Any news on how ProZ and SDL/Eugene are doing in regards to solving this?

Jean Dimitriadis
Manuella Lange

Eugene Kuchynski
Eugene Kuchynski
Belarus
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
No news, sadly Nov 28, 2019

Matthijs Frankena wrote:

Not much happening in the way of information on developments regarding BaccS and my ProZ membership. No new releases for those who didn't buy BaccS directly, but got it through ProZ. SDL now calls it SDL Trados Business Manager.

Any news on how ProZ and SDL/Eugene are doing in regards to solving this?

Hello, Matthijs,

Excuse me for such a delayed reply. Unfortunately, no news still. And, actually, there were no updates for direct users as well, so parity now. Release (big one) is going to happen in the beginning of December, so maybe there will be some news. For now, all users (direct and through Plus subscription) use the same version.

Larissa Ekonoja
Larissa Ekonoja  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
How to get Baccs now? Dec 2, 2019

Hi,

I contacted SDL to purchase Baccs in May, but the whole process has been one very long run-around of demos, no prices, and no idea about features. So I guess I have two questions that hopefully are relevant for more than just me:

1. Can I automatically import from Projetex, in the same way as the TO 3000 import?

2. How do I get Baccs now when it's owned by SDL? I don't have a Trados license, but my colleague does - but even then we can't figure out how
... See more
Hi,

I contacted SDL to purchase Baccs in May, but the whole process has been one very long run-around of demos, no prices, and no idea about features. So I guess I have two questions that hopefully are relevant for more than just me:

1. Can I automatically import from Projetex, in the same way as the TO 3000 import?

2. How do I get Baccs now when it's owned by SDL? I don't have a Trados license, but my colleague does - but even then we can't figure out how to buy it and our contact at SDL has been unable to provide a price or any other information. I've looked at several tools and Baccs seems to meet our needs best, but I can't figure out how to get it. Help!
Collapse

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Ask for a refund Dec 2, 2019

You'll have to ask for a refund, as BaccS (now called sdl business manager) is now only available from inside Studio (i.e. not stand-alone).

Olly

[Edited at 2019-12-02 14:10 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:05
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
As far as I know, BaccS will definitely still be available as a standalone program. Dec 2, 2019

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

You'll have to ask for a refund, as BaccS (now called sdl business manager) is now only available from inside Studio (i.e. not stand-alone).

Olly

[Edited at 2019-12-02 14:10 GMT]

Since when? As far as I know, BaccS (now called ‘SDL Trados Business Manager’) will definitely still be available as a standalone program. I'm still using it that way. The version inside Studio is just the light version.

Michael

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: SDL requests removal of the email address - please edit it out. Thank you
Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Afraid not Dec 3, 2019

I'm afraid BaccS (business manager) has definitely been moved inside Studio and the standalone version is no longer developed. At least this is what Paul at SDL says.

For those who are disappointed with this, I can highly recommend LSP.expert. It has all the features I need, it was a synch to import my data and it has a very flat learning curve!

Olly

Below my exchange with Paul:

"Hi Paul,

I'm sure it's all been well thought out, bu
... See more
I'm afraid BaccS (business manager) has definitely been moved inside Studio and the standalone version is no longer developed. At least this is what Paul at SDL says.

For those who are disappointed with this, I can highly recommend LSP.expert. It has all the features I need, it was a synch to import my data and it has a very flat learning curve!

Olly

Below my exchange with Paul:

"Hi Paul,

I'm sure it's all been well thought out, but at the end of the day, an invoicing tool that requires me to open Studio first to access it is just not an option. This is not 'supporting translators more', but less. As I said, very disappointing, and a huge waste of the time it took me to learn and customise BaccS.

Regards,

Olly"

Paul
Paul 27 days ago in reply to Olly Pekelharing

"Fair enough Olly... we can never please everyone and I can see how this would be disappointing if Studio is also not your primary choice of tool. But hopefully the decision we have made will continue to benefit more users than had access to this sort of thing before. Being able to quote/invoice from Studio has been a long standing omission for many of our users.

Regards

Paul"

[Edited at 2019-12-03 06:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-12-03 07:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-12-03 07:57 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

BaccS - Windows-based management and invoicing software for translators

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »