Heike Holthaus  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:27
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
Jun 5, 2019

Hi,

I would like to set up an email client (anything but Outlook) for newsletters and surveys. What do you use and what are the features you like most about that particular client?

Warm regards,

Heike

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:27
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Heike Jun 5, 2019

Heike Holthaus wrote:
I would like to set up an email client for newsletters and surveys.

Do you need the ability to send mail, or only receive?

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
gmail Jun 5, 2019

gmail under my own (paid) domain name.

I know a lot of colleagues don't agree, because gmail is "not for professionals" and makes you "a scammer", but it works for me: lots of functions, always accessable (computers, tablet, smartphone), easy to use and it is free. Why not?

[Edited at 2019-06-05 12:17 GMT]

Tania Martins
Tina Vonhof (X)
Jo Macdonald
Philippe SALMON
Kefeng Zhou
Josephine Cassar
Angie Garbarino

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Thunderbird Jun 5, 2019

Excellent email client with tons of various features (like calendar, for example) and many more add-ins that you can download and install if you need something more.

Kevin Fulton
Jo Macdonald
Tina Vonhof (X)
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
John Fossey
Matheus Chaud
Vadim Kadyrov

Heike Holthaus
United States
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Jun 5, 2019

I would need to be able to send (the newsletter, for example) and receive (e. g. replies, comments, etc.)

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Heike Jun 5, 2019

Heike Holthaus wrote:
I would need to be able to send (the newsletter, for example) and receive (e. g. replies, comments, etc.)

Aah, so you need an e-mail program that is capable of composing (and sending) highly formatted e-mails, right? This narrows it (-: Outlook is one of the better ones, for this purpose, AFAIK. Why don't you want to use Outlook?

Heike Holthaus
United States
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Samuel Jun 5, 2019

I tried for the umpteenth time to set up Outlook this morning. 2hrs and multiple YouTube videos later, it still will not connect to the e-mail server. I even had my computer guy try to do it and it just refuses to cooperate.

I have Microsoft Office 2010 on Windows 7, which otherwise does not give me any problems.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 14:27
Dutch to English
+ ...
Agree Jun 5, 2019

Natalie wrote:

Excellent email client with tons of various features (like calendar, for example) and many more add-ins that you can download and install if you need something more.

I agree with Natalie. Thunderbird is excellent and what I like about Mozilla is that they are actively involved in keeping the internet clean and accessible to everyone - think it's a cause we should all support. I use Thunderbird for my job-related email and gmail for anything 'other' that doesn't immediately require my attention. I also have a separate Thunderbird account for email with family and friends. I like to keep things organized, so that i can't accidentally miss something important.

Kevin Fulton
John Fossey
Matheus Chaud

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Another vote for Mozilla Thunderbird Jun 5, 2019

I manage three e-mail accounts through Thunderbird. I filter incoming mail by source (clients, friends, relatives, spam, etc.). The only issue I have with the program is how the auto-fill function of the address book will sometimes add the wrong (similar) name if I'm not careful. So far I haven't come across any virus targeted at the program.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
+1 Thunderbird Jun 5, 2019

I have been using Thunderbird for as long as I can remember. Occasionally someone asks what's wrong with Outlook, so I try it again. Invariably I get fed up after a few days and head back to Thunderbird.

Sebastian Witte
Erik Freitag

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
"A secure desktop email client" Jun 5, 2019

Since early 2000s and to some 2010 (when I met my first direct client) I have been using a decent piece of software -- The Bat! by RitLabs, which kept me satisfied.

Darius Sciuka
Vadim Kadyrov
Viacheslav Silkin

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
SSL? Jun 5, 2019

Heike Holthaus wrote:

2hrs and multiple YouTube videos later, it still will not connect to the e-mail server. (...)
I have Microsoft Office 2010 on Windows 7

Videos for Office 2010 & Win 7 are rather old and - probably - explain the Outlook settings for outdated & unsafe non-SSL connections. In these days most mail servers refuse such unsafe connections.
So, look for a video that explains SSL connections and be sure to use server addresses that are intended for SSL (sometimes called TLS or SSL/TLS).

Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
I have upvoted Thunderbird even though it's not that great. Outlook is clearly the best tool. Jun 5, 2019

Hi,

I have upvoted Thunderbird even though it's not that great. Outlook 2016 is clearly the best tool for PCs - by miles.

Otherwise, you might wish to give this a try - I haven't, but I am reasonably happy with its Android version on my Galaxy S8:

https://bluemail.me/desktop

This is said to come from the maker of the best email client for Android and iOS as
... See more
Hi,

I have upvoted Thunderbird even though it's not that great. Outlook 2016 is clearly the best tool for PCs - by miles.

Otherwise, you might wish to give this a try - I haven't, but I am reasonably happy with its Android version on my Galaxy S8:

https://bluemail.me/desktop

This is said to come from the maker of the best email client for Android and iOS as per a couple of light IT blogs. I had it already back then when I was still using a new era iPhone (I have never understood what Android fanboys dislike about the iPhone (-- other than price--), it's a great phone and I even decided to keep it when I got the S8) and it was really worth having.

Cheers,

Sebastian Witte

[Edited at 2019-06-05 17:13 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Thunderbird Jun 5, 2019

Heike Holthaus wrote:
I tried for the umpteenth time to set up Outlook this morning. ... I even had my computer guy try to do it and it just refuses to cooperate.

Well, Thunderbird (which is recommended by many here) is a good e-mail program, but it has extremely limited rich-text composing capabilities. It's not really suited for composing newsletters, unless you post your newsletters as PDF or use very simple layouts and fonts in your newsletters. Also, while there is a lot of information on the web about Thunderbird, the advice often does not apply to the specific version of Thunderbird that you're using.

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:27
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
The Bat Jun 7, 2019

The Bat, from Ritlabs.
Been using it for about 10 years.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which Email client do you recommend

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »