Thread poster: Yevgeni Gerasimenko
Yevgeni Gerasimenko
Yevgeni Gerasimenko
Ukraine
Local time: 11:58
Dutch to Russian
+ ...
Dec 6, 2020

Hello, I need an application that would translate a highlighted text using my google translate api and paste the translation instead? I am now using QTranslate but it requires too much mouse movements clicks whereas I am more used to using the keyboard

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:58
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
GT4T! Dec 6, 2020

I highly recommend GT4T!

https://gt4t.net/

There really is nothing like it available at the moment. It does everything QTranslate does (but better), and way more.

Michael

################

There are also a few based on Autohotkey, such as this one (which act
... See more
I highly recommend GT4T!

There really is nothing like it available at the moment. It does everything QTranslate does (but better), and way more.

Michael

################

There are also a few based on Autohotkey, such as this one (which actually doesn't even need the API): https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63835

[Edited at 2020-12-06 19:58 GMT]
Collapse

Yevgeni Gerasimenko
Philippe Locquet

Yevgeni Gerasimenko
Yevgeni Gerasimenko
Ukraine
Dutch to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
that´s what I have been looking for!!!!! Dec 6, 2020

incredible! I couldn´t imagine such handy tool exists!

[Edited at 2020-12-06 19:44 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:58
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Yevgeni Dec 6, 2020

Yevgeni Gerasimenko wrote:
I need an application that would translate a highlighted text using my Google Translate API key and paste the translation instead?

I have a little AutoIt script that can do that:
http://www.leuce.com/autoit/simplegoog_SHORTCUT.zip
You must have AutoIt installed to use it. Select the text, press the shortcut key (default is `), and the translation is pasted. It works for me, it may not work for you.

Michael Beijer wrote:
I highly recommend GT4T!

Remember, GT4T doesn't use your API key unless you tell it to. Right-click the icon in the system tray > Show Menu > Machine Translation > API.

[Edited at 2020-12-06 19:58 GMT]

Yevgeni Gerasimenko
Jorge Payan

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
Set a shortcut in Qtranslate Dec 6, 2020

Hi Yevgeni,
I have read than you can set a shortcut in Qtranslate to replace the highlighted text with its translation. Take a look at this:

https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/347977-no_gt_on_studio_2021.html

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:58
English to Russian
Why can't you use QTranslate? You don't even need API for it. And it includes voice transcription Dec 8, 2020

Hello, I need an application that would translate a highlighted text using my google translate api and paste the translation instead? I am now using QTranslate but it requires too much mouse movements clicks whereas I am more used to using the keyboard

I tested both QTranslate and GT4T. They work the same way. The only difference is that QTranslate is for free.

Elena Feriani

Yevgeni Gerasimenko
Yevgeni Gerasimenko
Ukraine
Dutch to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
QTranslate vs GT4T Dec 8, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

I tested both QTranslate and GT4T. They work the same way. The only difference is that QTranslate is for free.

I somehow failed to find a way to highlight text using the desktop keyboard - apparently, QTranslate relies on the hightlighting the text with the mouse as opposed to keyboard arrows in GT4T.
To be more precise, QT does not translate the text unless it is highlighted with the help of the mouse.

besides, GT4T supports two Google translating options: with and without the api. I just wonder which one to choose

[Edited at 2020-12-08 18:47 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
QT uses exactly the same shortcuts as any other app including GT4T: Ctrl+Shift+↓→↑← Dec 8, 2020

Because you don’t use QT directly (both QTranslate and GT4T are tray-based apps working in background), you can highlight text by pressing Ctrl+Shift+arrows up/down/left/right as you always do in any text editor. Using mouse or keyboard has nothing to do with the app itself.
If you mean text in a CAT tool segment, you can highlight it by pressing Ctrl+A or use the above-mentioned key combinations again. I've been using QTranslate for years now and I don't see why I need mouse for that. H
... See more
Because you don’t use QT directly (both QTranslate and GT4T are tray-based apps working in background), you can highlight text by pressing Ctrl+Shift+arrows up/down/left/right as you always do in any text editor. Using mouse or keyboard has nothing to do with the app itself.
If you mean text in a CAT tool segment, you can highlight it by pressing Ctrl+A or use the above-mentioned key combinations again. I've been using QTranslate for years now and I don't see why I need mouse for that. However, it is definitely up to you.
Just out of curiosity: how do you highlight text in GT4T?

[Edited at 2020-12-09 09:14 GMT]
Collapse

Yevgeni Gerasimenko
Yevgeni Gerasimenko
Ukraine
Dutch to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
gt4t Dec 9, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

If you mean text in a CAT tool segment, you can highlight it by pressing Ctrl+A or use the above-mentioned key combinations again. I've been using QTranslate for years now and I don't see why I need mouse for that. However, it is definitely up to you.
Just out of curiosity: how do you highlight text in GT4T?

[Edited at 2020-12-09 09:14 GMT]

I use the keyboard Ctrl+Shift+arrows up/down/left/right. Ok, that means that I was not attentive enought

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Yevgeni Dec 9, 2020

GT4T supports two Google translating options: with and without the API. I just wonder which one to choose.

If you have an API key, and you use it, then presumably your machine translation is subject to Google's terms for the API and not for general public use. This is (theoretically) more secure. Also, we have no idea what method of getting translations is used by GT4T -- does he use his own API key, perhaps, or does he use some other kind of hack that relies on the public version of Google Translate and which may, therefore, be subject to Google's terms for the public service?

Note that if you do use your API key in GT4T, then you're sending your API key to the GT4T author, and you should ask yourself if you trust him not to use it for himself (I see no reason to doubt him, but the fact remains).

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
No Api is sent to the author Dec 22, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

GT4T supports two Google translating options: with and without the API. I just wonder which one to choose.

If you have an API key, and you use it, then presumably your machine translation is subject to Google's terms for the API and not for general public use. This is (theoretically) more secure. Also, we have no idea what method of getting translations is used by GT4T -- does he use his own API key, perhaps, or does he use some other kind of hack that relies on the public version of Google Translate and which may, therefore, be subject to Google's terms for the public service?
H
Note that if you do use your API key in GT4T, then you're sending your API key to the GT4T author, and you should ask yourself if you trust him not to use it for himself (I see no reason to doubt him, but the fact remains).

HI Samuel,

Just to clarify, I am the GT4T author and I will never collect users' API codes.

Your API codes are saved locally on users' own computer and you connect directly to MT servers, not through GT4T server.

Dallas

Jorge Payan

Yevgeni Gerasimenko
Yevgeni Gerasimenko
Ukraine
Dutch to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
comments on your app Dec 22, 2020

hello, mate, nice to meet you here. Thank you for developing GT4T. Just a couple of remarks that could probably help you make your application a little bit better.
1. If you could make multitran.ru dictionaries available for the Ctrl+D dictionary search - it would be great for those who translate into the Russian language.
2. Another thing is that many translators working in pairs other than English do use English dictionaries as an intermediary step. For instance, when translating
... See more
hello, mate, nice to meet you here. Thank you for developing GT4T. Just a couple of remarks that could probably help you make your application a little bit better.
1. If you could make multitran.ru dictionaries available for the Ctrl+D dictionary search - it would be great for those who translate into the Russian language.
2. Another thing is that many translators working in pairs other than English do use English dictionaries as an intermediary step. For instance, when translating from Dutch into Russian, I sometimes cannot find the word or phrase in Dutch-Russian dictionaries and have, therefore, to look it up in Dutch-English dictionaries (I use www.linguee.nl) and only then translate it into Russian. With your application, that is impossible because GT4T automatically looks up Dutch-Russian dictionaries. If one could select the language pair for the dictionaries that is not the same as the language pair for the automatic translation, that would be really terrific. Or, perhaps, even multiple target language lookup: when I highlight a word in Dutch, I could see both Russian and English equivalents and have a better idea of what it could possibly mean in this context.
Collapse

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
Intento Dec 22, 2020

I have started using this platform and I really like it. There are add-ins for MS Word, Excel and Outlook and also for Google Chrome. I’ve heard that development for Slack and Teams is on the roadmap too. (you can use it in CATs too).
The cheapest plan is 8,99 USD and you can import you Google or any other key.
I made a video where I play with the Intento MS Word add-in alongside Wor
... See more
I have started using this platform and I really like it. There are add-ins for MS Word, Excel and Outlook and also for Google Chrome. I’ve heard that development for Slack and Teams is on the roadmap too. (you can use it in CATs too).
The cheapest plan is 8,99 USD and you can import you Google or any other key.
I made a video where I play with the Intento MS Word add-in alongside Wordfast Classic: https://youtu.be/IffZ4oJ5HDc
The way to import the key and other CAT features are described in this other video: https://youtu.be/5K6raLjZZ3A
I like doing it this way because you get access to newer versions of MTs (MS v3, Google v3, DeepL v2 etc.) without having to wait for a special connector to be developed for a specific MT in the tool you use. And you get the comfort of switching between MTs for those that want to use it this way.
For higher tiers, you can add your own Glossaries to the platform to force any MT you select to use terms in your glossaries (I doubt you’re looking for this though).
Bests
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
What is the difference between Intento and any other MT engine like regular Google Translate? Dec 23, 2020

Philippe Locquet wrote:
I made a video where I play with the Intento MS Word add-in alongside Wordfast Classic: https://youtu.be/IffZ4oJ5HDc

In this video, you copy source, then you paste it into Intento, then Intento translates, then you copy translation, then you paste it back into MS Word. This is exactly the way you do with any other MT engine.
With Qtranslate (and GT4T as far as I know), you don't need so many moves. QT just replaces any selected text with translation. In WFC, you press Alt+Insert (to copy the source text into the target cell), select it and press a shortcut of your choice. No need to go to another window.

Yevgeni Gerasimenko

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
right click, what it is Dec 23, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:
In this video, you copy source, then you paste it into Intento, then Intento translates, then you copy translation, then you paste it back into MS Word. This is exactly the way you do with any other MT engine.

True, what I didn't show in the video is the context menu. So that enables: highlight-rightclick-"select translate with Intento"-done. But to my knowledge, no keyboards shortcuts for that yet. However, access to MT result is fast.

What is the difference between Intento and any other MT engine like regular Google Translate?

I didn't describe it here (was not the purpose of thread I thought) but I do in the other video I mentioned. Intento is NOT an MT. However it's a platform with smart tools. Which tools you get access to depend on what package your purchase.
Among things you can do:
_Select whichever MT you want and use them from a single API (over MTs available, all the latest versions, if you compare DeepL v1 vs v2, Google v1 and v2 vs v3 etc. you see big differences in performance and most CATs connect only older versions since the way to interact with the newer versions is more complicated for programmers).
_Compare output between MTs before starting a project.
_MT acceleration: I love this, with the dedicated connector in your CAT, if you want to pretranslate a text they speed up by A LOT the pretranslation. 2K words/min on the cheapest packages, 40K words/min on the most expensive ones. In real life, I managed to get a 2000 segments/10 K words file to be translated in 12 minutes in a CAT. With a standard connector it would have taken nearly twice as long (I tested it on 2K speed. On 40K speed it should take less than a minute).
_Adapt your MT with custom glossaries
LSP stuff:
_advanced smart PEMT platform to review how the MTs you use performs
_Connect Custom MTs you trained
_etc.

It's easier to explain by showing it, hence this video I mentioned: https://youtu.be/5K6raLjZZ3A

Hope this clarifies

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An application to translate the hightlighted text using google translate api

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »