Geneviève Granger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:28
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
Feb 10, 2017

Hello,
I am moving to a new computer and would like to also move my Dragon Naturally Speaking (11.5) profile data to it in order not to have to start anew (voice recording, lexical data building, settings etc.).
There is a Nuance directory under Windows' ProgrammData directory: Can I copy all of it to the new computer? Are there further files I should copy?
Thanks for sharing experiences on this.
Geneviève

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Visit the Nuance support website Feb 10, 2017

I've moved my DNS Premium 12 to other computers several times. Here's how:
http://nuance.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6874/~/how-to-export-and-import-a-user-profile-in-dragon-naturallyspeaking

May I suggest exhausting all tech support answers on the manufacturer's website before posting
... See more
I've moved my DNS Premium 12 to other computers several times. Here's how:
http://nuance.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6874/~/how-to-export-and-import-a-user-profile-in-dragon-naturallyspeaking

May I suggest exhausting all tech support answers on the manufacturer's website before posting here?

Cheers.
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I may be wrong, but... Feb 10, 2017

I think you have to have the Premium version. I don't, and I've always had to start from scratch on new computers.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Too much tech Feb 14, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

May I suggest exhausting all tech support answers on the manufacturer's website before posting here?

Cheers.

Having tried the DNS customer support and found it very unsatisfactory and an irksome waste of time in my case, I still prefer to post appeals for help on any forums possible, including proz. I've found the proz forums for Wordfast and Dragon very helpful and user-friendly, much more so than either of these two "official" sites.

Graeme Walle (X)
Graeme Walle (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:28
Finnish to English
+ ...
Agree; another useful site Feb 16, 2017

neilmac wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

Cheers.

Having tried the DNS customer support and found it very unsatisfactory and an irksome waste of time in my case, I still prefer to post appeals for help on any forums possible, including proz. I've found the proz forums for Wordfast and Dragon very helpful and user-friendly, much more so than either of these two "official" sites.

Couldn't agree more. Another site that the OP might find useful is:

http://knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/index.cfm.

If I get stuck with Dragon, I usually find the answer there.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Transit & Dragon Feb 17, 2017

Geneviève Granger wrote:

I am moving to a new computer and would like to also move my Dragon Naturally Speaking

Are you using Dragon with Transit? If so, can Transit be fully voice-controlled?

Geneviève Granger
Geneviève Granger  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Jun 14, 2017

Hello all,

first of all, please excuse my extreme late answer, as I have been very busy the past months.

Indeed I should have come to the idea to check the website of the developer – I am not used to do that, since a lot of developers consider their software to be user-friendly enough to bother providing extensive support.

However, I have indeed not only asked for guidance how to do that, but also for personal experience.

Indeed, I have the
... See more
Hello all,

first of all, please excuse my extreme late answer, as I have been very busy the past months.

Indeed I should have come to the idea to check the website of the developer – I am not used to do that, since a lot of developers consider their software to be user-friendly enough to bother providing extensive support.

However, I have indeed not only asked for guidance how to do that, but also for personal experience.

Indeed, I have the Premium version, which doesn't provide a specific function to perform the transfer. But the link suggested by Graeme provided me with the helpful hint: Make a backup on the old computer, build up rapidly a new profile on the new computer, make a backup on the new computer, overwrite it with the backup of the old computer, and, finally “restore” the profile on the new computer, manage the profiles to keep only the restored one under the wished name.

I do use Dragon with Transit, however solely to dictate, and not for commanding, thus I am afraid that I cannot share any experience with controlling Transit by voice. Under Transit, I have the problem that Dragon jumps at the end (sometimes at the beginning) of a line every time it encounters a circumflex (^) (and this is how you notice that the French language contains damned a lot of them).

Thanks again for your recommendations and hints, and, again, please apologize that I have left you so long without feedback on this.

Geneviève
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Move Dragon to new computer

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »