Thread poster: Anninili
Anninili
Anninili
Local time: 19:48
English to German
+ ...
Apr 19, 2021

Hi,

I am evaluating the "translatability" of some subtitle formats for our company. So far we are using srt and/or ass files for subtitles. The translation of srt files is no problem, I am using the Subtiteling plugin for that one. The translation of the ass file using the corresponding plugin causes problems, I always get an error message in the first stage "Converting to translation format":

File or assembly "Sdl.Community.Toolkit.FileType, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=ne
... See more
Hi,

I am evaluating the "translatability" of some subtitle formats for our company. So far we are using srt and/or ass files for subtitles. The translation of srt files is no problem, I am using the Subtiteling plugin for that one. The translation of the ass file using the corresponding plugin causes problems, I always get an error message in the first stage "Converting to translation format":

File or assembly "Sdl.Community.Toolkit.FileType, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=15236fec901153ed" or one of its dependencies cannot be found. The system cannot find the file.

(Original mesage: Die Datei oder Assembly "Sdl.Community.Toolkit.FileType, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=15236fec901153ed" oder eine Abhängigkeit davon wurde nicht gefunden. Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden).

I am not sure what this means? I did the usual: reboot, deinstall and install the plugin (actually various times), tried to insert ass files created by different editors but nothing changes (the ass files are okay, work perfectly for the videos).

The ass plugin appears in the Plugin Management list, in the File types section the ass format is also listed. I also tried to contact the developers in the SDL Appstore but the links to the contact just tell me that the contact page does no longer exist....

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Anneliese
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:48
English to Russian
You need to disable the out of the box SRT filetype and enable the one you downloaded Apr 19, 2021

You can't see that warning from the Studio's unfinished version of appstore. You have to visit the SDL Appstore webpage to see the explaining screenshot.
SDL Appstore webpage to see the explaining screenshot.

[Edited at 2021-04-19 20:27 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis

Anninili
Anninili
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jepp.. Apr 20, 2021

Hi Stepa,

thanks for your answer, yes, the Subrip was deactivated but my mistake: I didn't realize I really had to install the "other" SRT plugin to get the ASS plugin working correctly. So I didn't download that plugin...

But now, having installed all plugins available, everything is running fine!

Thanks again!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Handling ASS/SSA files Apr 20, 2021

Anninili wrote:
I also tried to contact the developers in the SDL Appstore but the links to the contact just tell me that the contact page does no longer exist....

Yes. Please remove the tracking text that gets added to the link you clicked on in the contact page... that will get fixed as I have just reported it, but for your information you only need this:

http://community.sdl.com/appsupport

That will work.

Stepan wrote:
You need to disable the out of the box SRT filetype and enable the one you downloaded

This is incorrect. You do not need to do this for the ASS/SSA filetype. The only reason you did this before was this:

- older versions of Studio have that old SRT filetype you see in the screenshot you have provided. It doesn't support subtitling
- new versions of Studio have a completely new subtitling filetype out of the box that uses the new ones. At least it supports these *.srt;*.vtt;*.sbv;*.sub

So you still need the appstore ASS/SSA filetype to handle ASS files. I'd recommend posting into the SDL Community and provide details of the vsersion of Studio you are working with as well as what you have tried so far.

Paul.

expressisverbis

Anninili
Anninili
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hmm Apr 20, 2021

Hi Paul,

thanks for your answer. But I have to admit that AFTER installing the SRT plugin, the ASS plugin actually started working. I just checked it and deinstalled the SRT plugin: ASS plugin does not work anymore. Reinstalled SRT plugin: ASS plugin works... So something seems to be related

And I am sorry, I forgot to write down my version:
I am working with Trados Studio 2019 Professional Releas
... See more
Hi Paul,

thanks for your answer. But I have to admit that AFTER installing the SRT plugin, the ASS plugin actually started working. I just checked it and deinstalled the SRT plugin: ASS plugin does not work anymore. Reinstalled SRT plugin: ASS plugin works... So something seems to be related

And I am sorry, I forgot to write down my version:
I am working with Trados Studio 2019 Professional Release 2019 SR2 . 15.2.8.3007
on a Windows 10 .

The plugins are according the Trados version, "freshly" downloaded.

Regards
Anneliese
Collapse

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
ASS Plugin?! Apr 20, 2021

After years of reading the bizarre notifications about daughters being unable to find parents, etc. that get quoted in the CAT support forums (particularly in connection with Trados), I finally can't resist asking: Are you telling me that a company which produces products for the translation and localization industry has come up with something called an ASS Plugin?

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Barbara Carrara
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks ... Apr 20, 2021

... for that, Michael. Now I know it's not just me that thinks it's a curious name, at the very least. Picture the scene as C-Suite meets to finalise the name:

" ... so, that's settled, then, we're going to go with 'ASS Plug-in'. Any objections? Everyone agreed? Fine. Let's polish up our ASS Plug-in and ease it gently into the market, then. I think we're on a winner here, people."

Barbara Carrara
Christopher Schröder
Michael Wetzel
Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
It's all about diversity ;-) Apr 20, 2021

Michael Wetzel wrote:
Are you telling me that a company which produces products for the translation and localization industry has come up with something called an ASS Plugin?

Indeed... and if you look closely at the icon you may see we had the same irresistible, slightly infantile, sense of humour! Although I'm glad I was more focused on the ASS than the Plugin concept when I drew the icon!

More seriously it's Advanced SubStation Alpha (ASS) which is technically a more recent version of SubStation Alpha (SSA) subtitle format. Both ASS and SSA are supported.

Paul.

Michael Wetzel
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Andrea Capuselli
expressisverbis

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Well, it's better than the Regional Intercommunication President I once stumbled across Apr 20, 2021

I actually can't remember what the real job title was, but in the directory he was actually listed either as "Helmut Mustermann, R.I.P." or "R.I.P. Helmut Mustermann" (can't remember the order either).

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Anninili
Anninili
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jupp Apr 20, 2021

Michael Wetzel wrote:

After years of reading the bizarre notifications about daughters being unable to find parents, etc. that get quoted in the CAT support forums (particularly in connection with Trados), I finally can't resist asking: Are you telling me that a company which produces products for the translation and localization industry has come up with something called an ASS Plugin?

To be honest, it took me about a day before I actually dared to post my question here... But I was desperate and the link to the developers did not work, so: here we are, at least bringing some joy to the community

Michael Wetzel
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Icon? Apr 20, 2021

I hear you, Paul, and I'm glad Anninili got his/her problem sorted, but I tried to find that icon. All I found was a load of dubious links to a young lady called Babe Samantha demonstrating a product with a vaguely similar name. It must have worked for her, because the look on her face said it all. Also available in XL, XXL, and pink, black and red, apparently.

[Edited at 2021-04-20 12:22 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:48
English to Russian
Probably you overlooked a hyperlink under 'the icon' reference Apr 20, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
I tried to find
You don't need to try to find. Just click the 'the icon' link http://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/ass-filetype/1003/

[Edited at 2021-04-20 20:02 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks Stepan Apr 20, 2021

Doh. Although PLF had just shown me, so thanks to her too. And also to Babe Samantha, of course.

expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot translate ass (or ssa) file using the ASS plugin

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »