Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Why we should learn German, by John le Carré

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Why we should learn German, by John le Carré".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:29
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän Dec 17, 2020

Thank you, philgoddard, for this heartfelt reminder of what a truly great writer John le Carré was, and the sheer beauty of the German language.

Is the spelling correct now? I can't feel my eyes anymore.

[Edited at 2020-12-17 14:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-12-17 14:21 GMT]

Janet Muehlbacher
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
philgoddard
Thomas T. Frost
Andreia Frazão, CertTrans

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:29
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Despite the hype Dec 17, 2020

P.L.F.Persio wrote:

Thank you, philgoddard, for this heartfelt reminder of what a truly great writer John le Carré was, and the sheer beauty of the German language.

I tried to read "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" (or whatever it's called) but after a few pages I found it horrible and flung it contemptuously across the room. John Le Carré is greatly overrated. However the television series of "Tinker, Tailor" is pretty good because it clears out all the tedious English public-school c*ap, and the turgid prose isn't there.

Thomas T. Frost
Baran Keki

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän Dec 17, 2020

P.L.F.Persio wrote:

I particularly liked the paragraph: “No wonder then that the most conscientious editors of my novels are not those for whom English is their first language, but the foreign translators who bring their relentless eye to the tautological phrase or factual inaccuracy – of which there are far too many. My German translator is particularly infuriating.”

I bet the misspelling of Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän wouldn’t have got past his German translator, unlike the newspaper editor..

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
philgoddard

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:29
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not all translators are equal… Dec 17, 2020

Chris S wrote:

I bet the misspelling of Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän wouldn’t have got past his German translator, unlike the newspaper editor..

As we can see in this thread, it can get past some translators too

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

P.L.F. Persio
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Guilty as charged Dec 17, 2020

esperantisto wrote:

Chris S wrote:

As we can see in this thread, it can get past some translators too

I should have checked it out, my German is a bit rusty. My apologies to all the German colleagues!

P.L.F. Persio
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
It's all right Dec 17, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

I tried to read "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" (or whatever it's called) but after a few pages I found it horrible and flung it contemptuously across the room. John Le Carré is greatly overrated. However the television series of "Tinker, Tailor" is pretty good because it clears out all the tedious English public-school c*ap, and the turgid prose isn't there.

I loved it, I don't mind turgid prose. Each to their own.
On the other hand, I've never been able to read Hemingway, Virginia Woolf and, recently, though I probably shouldn't mention her in the same breath, Elena Ferrante.

I've been trying to find where the BBC series is available but, apparently, you can find it only on iPlayer.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Literary abuse of foreign languages Dec 17, 2020

Robert Ludlum, another literary giant, used to infuriate me with loads of little snippets of German and other languages which were always, always, unfailingly and without exception, incorrect. I eventually decided his editors must be playing a game.

And then there's that odd literary convention where Johnny Foreigner speaks perfect English after the first couple of sentences, but always insists on adding Madame or Signor or sahib or whatever in his own language. In books in other l
... See more
Robert Ludlum, another literary giant, used to infuriate me with loads of little snippets of German and other languages which were always, always, unfailingly and without exception, incorrect. I eventually decided his editors must be playing a game.

And then there's that odd literary convention where Johnny Foreigner speaks perfect English after the first couple of sentences, but always insists on adding Madame or Signor or sahib or whatever in his own language. In books in other languages, do English people say things like "Bonjour, my good sir, comment ça va?"

Not to mention the countless other mistakes you always get in spy novels, such as where they go to extreme lengths to stow away across the border between Sweden and Norway - a completely open border that you've always been able to stroll across at will. Or where Stockholm is in the Netherlands, and Kiel in East Germany.

It does challenge your suspension of disbelief sometimes.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
Adrienne Derrier
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
If you have a VPN Dec 17, 2020

P.L.F.Persio wrote:

I've been trying to find where the BBC series is available but, apparently, you can find it only on iPlayer.

It isn't on iPlayer either. But if you have a VPN set to United States, you can watch all episodes here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq61jstTApk

P.L.F. Persio
philgoddard

P.L.F. Persio
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Thank you, Tom. Dec 17, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

It isn't on iPlayer either. But if you have a VPN set to United States, you can watch all episodes here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq61jstTApk

Great tip, Tom, thank you!

Today my spelling is all over the place.

[Edited at 2020-12-17 14:22 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
It all depends Dec 17, 2020

P.L.F.Persio wrote:

No language is inherently beautiful or ugly. It all depends on who's speaking. Was Hitler's German beautiful?

expressisverbis
Bernhard Sulzer
philgoddard
Adrienne Derrier

P.L.F. Persio
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
I know I'm going to regret this Dec 17, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

No language is inherently beautiful or ugly. It all depends on who's speaking. Was Hitler's German beautiful?

Tom, may I remind you of Godwin's Law? But since that ship has sailed, let me try and elaborate further, just a tiny bit, I promise.

Of course it's all relative. Hitler's German was despicable and ugly, as Mussolini's Italian, as Oswald Mosley's English, as Trump's whatever he speaks.

It's just that German is not associated with that presumed mellowness that makes Romance languages popular. Some people might think there's no beauty in it at all, but they're wrong.

This is objectively beautiful:

Kennst du das Land, wo die Zitronen blühn,
Im dunkeln Laub die Goldorangen glühn,
Ein sanfter Wind vom blauen Himmel weht,
Die Myrte still und hoch der Lorbeer steht,
Kennst du es wohl?
Dahin! Dahin
Möcht’ ich mit dir, o mein Geliebter, ziehn!

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Matthias Brombach
Christopher Schröder
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
Dan Lucas
Christine Andersen

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes, you are Dec 17, 2020

One of the reasons why I never mastered German was because when my German teacher spoke to us in her Hochdeutsch, I was wafted into Wunderland just at the sound of it. So I never bothered trying to learn it properly; I just loved listening to it. Still do. But not every time.

P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
Thomas T. Frost

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Gotta get a Goethe or two Dec 17, 2020

Yes, Godwin has already been proved right once again, just by mentioning Him.

Guttural German, hurdy-gurdy in Scandinavia, all those African clicks, all that throaty Arabic, Chinese/Japanese toning, the shrill cries of tearful girlies outside a Ballymena boozer at chucking-out time on Friday night (eh, Tom?), and many others, well, they might not always be such a delight to the ear, but I sense more poetry in Kennst du das Land, wo die Zitronen blühn ...? than in Arbeit Macht Frei,
... See more
Yes, Godwin has already been proved right once again, just by mentioning Him.

Guttural German, hurdy-gurdy in Scandinavia, all those African clicks, all that throaty Arabic, Chinese/Japanese toning, the shrill cries of tearful girlies outside a Ballymena boozer at chucking-out time on Friday night (eh, Tom?), and many others, well, they might not always be such a delight to the ear, but I sense more poetry in Kennst du das Land, wo die Zitronen blühn ...? than in Arbeit Macht Frei, no matter who's talking. The former has a kind of ring to it, whereas the latter has a kind of knell.

Not sure where I'm going with this. A bit disorientated and off-forum today, but thought I'd jump in blind.

[Edited at 2020-12-17 15:42 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Of course not ... Dec 17, 2020

Tom in London wrote:
Was Hitler's German beautiful?

... because he was Austrian. And even Austrian German can sound lovely, if not charming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQaq0eusLFY

(The subtitle function of YouTube is available, but obviously fails for Austrian German)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Anne Maclennan

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
You need Hans ... Dec 17, 2020

Great video, Matthias. I didn't understand a single word, but it was still pleasant to listen to.

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why we should learn German, by John le Carré

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »