Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
How have you adapted to changes in the translation industry in recent years?
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Kaspars Melkis
Kaspars Melkis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:48
English to Latvian
+ ...
This is very much my experience as a translator of what is happening in the translation industry. Feb 9, 2019

Ricki Farn wrote:

The state of this trend I don't know, but my very personal perception of a tiny corner of it: https://erinatranslations.de/en/2018/11/20/adventures-in-agile-localization/

I think they are very positive developments as they improve quality and translators job satisfaction.

Still there are some issues. For example, PM prepares instructions that are sometimes mindlessly compiled from all possible guidlines. Most of them are already known to translators who have seen them hundreds of times. In fact, sending them repeatedly only makes it less likely them to be read and some vital addition can be skipped and missed. Maybe it makes sense to include the regular ones in the inducation pack to be read by all new translators on the project and send only new or updated guidelines in the direct job description?

I am also a great fan of non-anonymity. A professional is not anonymous, he or she takes full resposibility of their work, including all mistakes. We cannot progress as a profession if we remain anonymous.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 09:48
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Ricki! Feb 9, 2019

Ricki Farn wrote:

Henry Dotterer wrote:

In the last year I have seen many companies, big and small, moving away from big translation agencies to hire a PM in-house and work with freelancers.

Probably the one-size-fits-all approach of large agencies will become less useful for many clients which prefer to develop their own communication strategy and keep it consistent.

Thanks, I am getting input of this sort from other channels as well. I would be keen to hear stories suggestive of the state of this trend, if anyone can share.

The state of this trend I don't know, but my very personal perception of a tiny corner of it: https://erinatranslations.de/en/2018/11/20/adventures-in-agile-localization/

I focus on Agile in that story, but I have a rather similar (in terms of interaction) experience with a "country marketing manager" (is that a word?) who one day decided to trawl the internet for her very own freelance translator and "own the experience" rather than leave it to an agency. She's not exactly a PM, but doing some PM-ish things such as moving the texts through the pipeline from translation to SEO, DTP, the guy who sticks them in the CMS and/or whatever else is required. We're mutually in awe of how well this is working out.

Great information. Thanks for sharing!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How have you adapted to changes in the translation industry in recent years?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »