Trends in patent translation (EN)
Thread poster: Jacques Von Lunen
Jacques Von Lunen
Jacques Von Lunen  Identity Verified
Belgium
German to English
Jun 4, 2019

Hello fellow patent translators,

I'm wondering about trends in English patent terminology. I've been specializing in patents for about four years now, and I feel like I'm noticing a trend toward greater readability and away from some clunky terms that used to be standard practice.

The most common example for me these days: "a plurality of" is (was?) the standard way of saying "more than one" in patents, but now I see clients wanting me to just use the term "multiple."... See more
Hello fellow patent translators,

I'm wondering about trends in English patent terminology. I've been specializing in patents for about four years now, and I feel like I'm noticing a trend toward greater readability and away from some clunky terms that used to be standard practice.

The most common example for me these days: "a plurality of" is (was?) the standard way of saying "more than one" in patents, but now I see clients wanting me to just use the term "multiple."

Has anyone else come across this? I'm trying to feel out if I should just shift my usage toward more readability in general and drop more of these old terms (which would be just fine by me).

Thanks for chiming in.
Jacques
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trends in patent translation (EN)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »