Marianne Bredesen
Marianne Bredesen
Norway
Local time: 11:20
Danish to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Jul 31, 2019

Hello, fellow translators!

I'm new to translation of confidential documents, and I need your advice. I received a medical report containing blacked out information  – name of institution, doctor, patient, and so on. My instruction is to create a new document with the target translation. I would naturally be inclined to keep the blacked out areas where they occur in the middle of a sentence. However, I'm a bit unsure what to do about such areas in the header, where the page is mos
... See more
Hello, fellow translators!

I'm new to translation of confidential documents, and I need your advice. I received a medical report containing blacked out information  – name of institution, doctor, patient, and so on. My instruction is to create a new document with the target translation. I would naturally be inclined to keep the blacked out areas where they occur in the middle of a sentence. However, I'm a bit unsure what to do about such areas in the header, where the page is mostly free of text. Should they stay or go? Any advice on how to treat such translation would be welcome!

Thanks in advance 🙂

[Edited at 2019-07-31 16:54 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-07-31 16:56 GMT]
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 12:20
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Like this Jul 31, 2019

"That's one small ██████ for man, one giant ██████ for mankind"
© ████ Armstrong

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Redacted Jul 31, 2019

I was taught to do it this way: That's one small [redacted] for man, one giant [redacted] for [redacted].

John Fossey
B D Finch
Samuel Murray
Kevin Fulton
Marianne Bredesen
MARIA GEMA ARIAS MUÑOZ

Marianne Bredesen
Marianne Bredesen
Norway
Local time: 11:20
Danish to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Redacted Aug 1, 2019

Thank you both for your input! In the end, I decided to go with [redacted], and asked my contact which method they would prefer in the future.

[Edited at 2019-08-01 18:14 GMT]

MARIA GEMA ARIAS MUÑOZ

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to treat blacked out information

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »