Test translation and quiz- using dictionary allowed if not stated otherwise?
Thread poster: Diana Kaplan
Diana Kaplan
Diana Kaplan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:03
English to German
+ ...
Nov 7, 2019

Hi everyone,

Maybe I am just too honest (haha) but if asked to complete a test translation (or quiz) is it ok to use dictionary to check if I am correct? Especially if not stated otherwise by the agency?

Thank you!

Diana

[Edited at 2019-11-07 10:43 GMT]

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Yes Nov 7, 2019

Absolutely! This isn't a TV quiz to entertain the viewers; the object is to see how you perform as a translator in the real world. The real world includes dictionaries and knowing how to use them.

[Edited at 2019-11-07 11:00 GMT]

Kay Denney
Janet Ross Snyder
María Paula Gorgone
Michele Fauble
Philip Lees
Josephine Cassar
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Diana Kaplan
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 7, 2019

Thank you very much.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Diana Nov 7, 2019

Diana Kaplan wrote:
If asked to complete a test translation (or quiz), is it okay to use a dictionary?

Typically, you are allowed to use all resources that you would normally use when doing paid translation, **except** that you're not allowed to outsource the test translation. Often, it is also assumed that the work in the test translation is yours alone, i.e. that you will proofread it yourself, and not get it proofread by someone else (even if you usually do that when doing paid work).

Some clients also expect you not to contact other translators or ask grammar/spelling/terminology questions on online forums, during the test.

As for quizzes, I don't think it's acceptable to ask other people what they think the answers are, but there is nothing wrong with consulting any references or existing content on web sites, even for quizzes, unless the client specifically told you not to.

Janet Ross Snyder
Philip Lees

Joseph Tein
Joseph Tein  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:03
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Use all available resources Nov 7, 2019

It's not a matter of being honest or dishonest, it's a matter of doing the best job you can ... whether on a test, or on a real translation job.

I would use every possible tool, just as I do when I'm working on a real assignment, to produce the best possible translation of the text. That's what we do as translators;' there is no reason to NOT do this when doing a test translation.

Philip Lees
Josephine Cassar

Diana Kaplan
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 8, 2019

Dear Samuel and Joseph,

Thank you very much too.

All the best,

Diana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Test translation and quiz- using dictionary allowed if not stated otherwise?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »