Translation of "ingredients from local sources" -> do they stay "local" once translated...?
Thread poster: Annabelle Girard
Annabelle Girard
Annabelle Girard
France
Local time: 10:40
English to French
+ ...
Sep 15, 2020

Dear all,
This is my first time posting on and using this forum so please excuse me if I am not in the right category or if this question has already been asked.

I have a question regarding the translation of the word "local" in food packaging / compositions.
Let's say I am translating a brochure for a German food brand into French. In this brochure, it is mentionnend "ingredients from local sources".
Can we translate the word "local" as such or should we prefe
... See more
Dear all,
This is my first time posting on and using this forum so please excuse me if I am not in the right category or if this question has already been asked.

I have a question regarding the translation of the word "local" in food packaging / compositions.
Let's say I am translating a brochure for a German food brand into French. In this brochure, it is mentionnend "ingredients from local sources".
Can we translate the word "local" as such or should we prefer something like "ingredients from European/German sources", given that the ingredients are not "local" for the French consumer; or maybe they are, if the brand also has providers in France for the French market, which I doubt...
You might advise me to ask the client, but I'm pretty sure they will never give me a satisfying reply, as I have already tried for similar questions.
What would be the less risky solution?
Is there a EU regulation or something that specifies how and when should the word "local" be used, and specifically in the case of a translation?
I always find this situation very uncomfortable when a client wants to have a product translated in every language but does not go all the way to the localization process...
Or maybe I am thinking too far...?
Any hint welcome!

Thanks!
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Could you give us the context, please? Sep 15, 2020

Please let us have several sentences.

We usually say "locally sourced ingredients" in English. Depending on the context, it's probably OK to say the same thing in translation. After all, if a German company says it used ingredients sourced in Germany, the fact that the reader is in France doesn't change anything.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Tina Vonhof (X)
Christopher Schröder
Philip Lees
neilmac
P.L.F. Persio

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:40
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Annabelle Sep 15, 2020

I would translate as such. Local in this case means the place where the item was sourced and produced.

Tina Vonhof (X)

Annabelle Girard
Annabelle Girard
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Am I overthinking? Sep 15, 2020

Teresa and Philgoddard, thank you for your replies.
I do get what you mean, but that implies that the consumer is aware that the product is not French.
In the brochure there is absolutely no reference to the country of production (except at the very end in the details of the manufacturer).

I barely have any context to give you, because it is only a kind of label stamped on the packaging and displayed in the brochure that says "wholesome ingredients from local sources".
... See more
Teresa and Philgoddard, thank you for your replies.
I do get what you mean, but that implies that the consumer is aware that the product is not French.
In the brochure there is absolutely no reference to the country of production (except at the very end in the details of the manufacturer).

I barely have any context to give you, because it is only a kind of label stamped on the packaging and displayed in the brochure that says "wholesome ingredients from local sources".

My main concern is that the French Fraud Directorate (DGCCRF) might point out that it is fooling the consumer to say that the product contains "local" ingredients since they are not local to France.
While writing this reply, I really feel that I am too much involved and think instead of the client. My job should only come down to translating, not overthinking the content... or does it?

[Edited at 2020-09-15 16:41 GMT]
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 03:40
Dutch to English
+ ...
Translate Sep 15, 2020

I understand your concern but it is not your responsibility to anticipate what the French Fraud Directorate is going to say. Just translate it but share your concern with your client and, if possible,with the end client.

Annabelle Girard
Kang Seok Lee
Philippe Etienne
Sara Massons
P.L.F. Persio

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Annabelle Sep 15, 2020

This might be useful: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=CELEX:32011R1169

Annabelle Girard
Annabelle Girard
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Teresa Sep 15, 2020

Thank you for the link! I'll add it to my bookmarks.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Annabelle Sep 15, 2020

Another interesting link:

In accordance with Regulation (EU) No 1169/2011, the general rule is that the indication of the country of origin or place of provenance shall be mandatory where failure to indicate this might mislead the consumer as to the true country of origin or place of provenance of the food, in particular if the information accompanying the food or the label as a whole would otherwise imply that the food has a different country of origin or place of provenance.(Artic
... See more
Another interesting link:

In accordance with Regulation (EU) No 1169/2011, the general rule is that the indication of the country of origin or place of provenance shall be mandatory where failure to indicate this might mislead the consumer as to the true country of origin or place of provenance of the food, in particular if the information accompanying the food or the label as a whole would otherwise imply that the food has a different country of origin or place of provenance.(Article 26(2)(a)).
https://ec.europa.eu/food/safety/labelling_nutrition/labelling_legislation/origin-labelling_en
Collapse

Kang Seok Lee
Kang Seok Lee
South Korea
Local time: 18:40
Member (2018)
English to Korean
+ ...
Yes! You are overthinking! Dear Annabelle! Sep 16, 2020

Let me quote what you have said
"I really feel that I am too much involved and think instead of the client. My job should only come down to translating, not overthinking the content..."
Regardless of any legal condition of whatsoever, all responsibility about the ingredients (locally sourced or not) goes to the manufacturer.
You don't need to worry (can't worry about this point, more precisely).
As you told above, your job should only come down to translating.
I th
... See more
Let me quote what you have said
"I really feel that I am too much involved and think instead of the client. My job should only come down to translating, not overthinking the content..."
Regardless of any legal condition of whatsoever, all responsibility about the ingredients (locally sourced or not) goes to the manufacturer.
You don't need to worry (can't worry about this point, more precisely).
As you told above, your job should only come down to translating.
I think/believe when we do a translation, we should not forget common sense.
Take it easy!!! Dear!!
How about have a cup of coffee (with cream and sugar)!
Collapse

Annabelle Girard
neilmac

Annabelle Girard
Annabelle Girard
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Sep 16, 2020

Thank you all for your interesting replies.

@Teresa, I forgot to say that it's actually not human food, but pet food. Your links are interesting though and might be good guidelines when the Pet Food regulations tend to be incomplete..

@Kang Seok Lee, Yes, I should definitely try to take it easy! About the coffee, that's exactly what I'm doing right now (without cream and sugar, though )

[Ed
... See more
Thank you all for your interesting replies.

@Teresa, I forgot to say that it's actually not human food, but pet food. Your links are interesting though and might be good guidelines when the Pet Food regulations tend to be incomplete..

@Kang Seok Lee, Yes, I should definitely try to take it easy! About the coffee, that's exactly what I'm doing right now (without cream and sugar, though )

[Edited at 2020-09-16 08:34 GMT]
Collapse

Kang Seok Lee

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Pas grave Sep 16, 2020

Annabelle Girard wrote:

While writing this reply, I really feel that I am too much involved and think instead of the client. My job should only come down to translating, not overthinking the content... or does it?

[Edited at 2020-09-15 16:41 GMT]

Yes, I'd say you are overthinking it, which is not always a bad thing, but unless the client has raised the issue, I'd simply translate it as "locally sourced" or similar.

Annabelle Girard

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Sep 16, 2020

It seems that everyone thinks you are overthinking this. I'm going out on a limb here and saying that you most certainly are not. As the translator, you are uniquely well placed to know what is translatable and what needs localising (pun unintended!).
If the client isn't interested in possibly avoiding legal hassle in the countries they are exporting to, fair enough. But you know that there could be a problem. In your shoes, I would translate "locally-sourced" as "sourced in Germany", or m
... See more
It seems that everyone thinks you are overthinking this. I'm going out on a limb here and saying that you most certainly are not. As the translator, you are uniquely well placed to know what is translatable and what needs localising (pun unintended!).
If the client isn't interested in possibly avoiding legal hassle in the countries they are exporting to, fair enough. But you know that there could be a problem. In your shoes, I would translate "locally-sourced" as "sourced in Germany", or maybe, depending on the manufacturer's definition of "local"*, I'd put "sourced locally to CityWhereManufacturerIsBased", and I would add in a translator's note to point out that you can't translate this literally.
*According to my neighbour (so, in the Paris region) who produces and markets jars of locally-sourced preserves, "local" means within a radius of about 50km. A quick Internet search shows that there is no consensus on the definition of "local": in the US it can be up to 400km. In France, the place of origin is of great importance: the origin of wine especially is taken very seriously. So calling a product made in Germany "local" would be false advertising.

"I do get what you mean, but that implies that the consumer is aware that the product is not French.
In the brochure there is absolutely no reference to the country of production (except at the very end in the details of the manufacturer)."
I get this totally. I recently bought a basket online and only realised that the manufacturer was German when I had to send it back. The website must have been very well translated for me not to realise that it wasn't French! (So maybe it was you?!) Thing is, I do try to order locally when possible, so that goods don't have to travel too far, so I was disappointed that this basket had travelled much further than I thought.

Suppose there was a glaring error in a text you're translating. You know your client is going to have both source and target printed up as a brochure. Would you let them print it up with the glaring error, or would you tactfully point it out?
I have often tactfully pointed out errors in such situations, and clients have been grateful. Some have commented that I'm their best proofreader, that the best way to ensure their source text is well-written is to have me translate it.
I don't see any difference between something that's already a glaring error in the source, and something that would become an error in translation. Except that the first is on the client and the second, on the translator.
Collapse

Reka Virag

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes Sep 16, 2020

Only a complete idiot would expect the "locally sourced" ingredients in Messerschmidt of Munich's Marvellous Marmelades to come from anywhere other than the Munich area.

On the other hand, there is little point trumpeting the use of local ingredients when exporting products around the world, so you would need to consult Herr Messerschmidt about the best solution, which is likely to be something altogether different, such as "the finest Bavarian oranges" (you may scoff, but the Alpin
... See more
Only a complete idiot would expect the "locally sourced" ingredients in Messerschmidt of Munich's Marvellous Marmelades to come from anywhere other than the Munich area.

On the other hand, there is little point trumpeting the use of local ingredients when exporting products around the world, so you would need to consult Herr Messerschmidt about the best solution, which is likely to be something altogether different, such as "the finest Bavarian oranges" (you may scoff, but the Alpine citrus orchards around the BMW plant are one of the world's greatest secrets).
Collapse

Paweł Hamerski

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of "ingredients from local sources" -> do they stay "local" once translated...?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »