Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Online research: what are you loving and hating?
Thread poster: Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:42
Member (2002)
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Right. Who even wrote that text? Oct 28, 2020

Luca Tutino wrote:

... More and more, I now find poor and even MT translations of such terms in places where I would expect good quality references. This is particularly misleading because it appears even when I introduce context in my searches, and requires great care to avoid reproducing the error in my work.

I am afraid that many colleagues do not pay attention to this aspect, and this is polluting google corpus of multilanguage documents. Establishing the authority of the different sources is becoming more difficult and time-consuming than it used to be.

I agree. In a perfect world, publishers would have to label texts as machine- or human-generated (like country-of-origin labeling for food).

Saw this in an article: "It remains to be seen what broader effects this increased automation [MT and CAT] will have on language diversity and perhaps even on the very structure of our various mother tongues. For non-English speakers, more and more content we read online is in fact translated content." https://bpcs.com/blog/language-in-the-interim-will-machines-replace-us?utm_content=141260044&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin&hss_channel=lcp-11492683 (The title isn't really what the article is about)

But here's the thing: as we see more machine-influenced content across the internet, it becomes increasingly important to think about our research in ways that aren't centered on keywords (since there are no solid workarounds for filtering out machine-influenced content). Instead of thinking, "I need to find term x in my language," I try to think "I need to find people online who talk about term x in my language." It's frustrating to start at a point that seems farther from the answer, but I've always gotten better results this way for searches where the answer doesn't become immediately obvious very quickly.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 23:42
English to German
Don't translate terms, instead translate texts Oct 29, 2020

Elizabeth Adams wrote:

Instead of thinking, "I need to find term x in my language," I try to think "I need to find people online who talk about term x in my language."

BUT in order to do the latter you have to know what the single term x means in the text at hand. In several fields/texts this meaning isn't obvious at all. E. g. in KudoZ you can see many translators who are not able to discern the field let alone the meaning of a term. Thus, they use references who talk about term x in field A while the original text deals with field B - a common mistake.

So let's view the task from a higher level:
Try to find out what the single term x means in the text at hand and - simultaneously! - try to find out what the full text/sentence at hand means. With 'simultaneously' I mean that you do both things alternately & repeatedly until you've arrived at a good result.

Jean-Christophe Duc
Jean-Christophe Duc  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:42
English to French
+ ...
Yes and no Nov 2, 2020

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Linguee is faster and more helpful than any other online resource I know.

Hi,
yes it is quite valuable and the most visible (it attracts more ads than reverso, a sure sign of success), but quite a lot of other sites are available now. Also discovered some tech sites that are more focused than Linguee for mechanical engineering terms for instance, and the Eu site/Termium are still top of the range in terms of quality.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Online research: what are you loving and hating?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »