Thread poster: Luis Alberto Rodriguez Cañon
Luis Alberto Rodriguez Cañon
Mexico
Local time: 13:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 7, 2019

Hi, I'm new on this forum. I don't know if I should post things like this in here
but I'm searching a glossary about communications (Spanish to English) and another
about Scientific terms such as "case studies" "empirical analysis" "qualitativa data
collection method" etc. I've tried to find them but I've gotten no luck. Maybe i'm wrong
and I'm looking in the wrong areas? Thanks in advance.

Kang Seok Lee
Kang Seok Lee
South Korea
Local time: 04:05
Member (2018)
English to Korean
+ ...
I think you have wrong understanding of Proz. glossary Apr 8, 2019

Proz. glossary is not a dictionary. Linguists put a word or vocabularies which he thinks they are very hard to find or derived from the general lexicon. As you might understand very well, translation is not long explaining the meaning of a source word to another language. Mostly the source words should be changed to very concise and compact target words. Besides they should be understood with natural (or very least difficulty) from the ordinary general user of the target language.
I am so
... See more
Proz. glossary is not a dictionary. Linguists put a word or vocabularies which he thinks they are very hard to find or derived from the general lexicon. As you might understand very well, translation is not long explaining the meaning of a source word to another language. Mostly the source words should be changed to very concise and compact target words. Besides they should be understood with natural (or very least difficulty) from the ordinary general user of the target language.
I am sorry to tell you but when a Spanish-English-Spanish linguist meets rather common and easy to translate expressions like 'case studies' empirical analysis' and 'qualitativa(->qualitative) data collection method' etc ( estudios de casos, análisis empírico y
método de recopilación de datos cualitativos) he won't feel about putting them into the glossary.
One more thing, the words of Proz. glossary are subjective. You may need to adjust them case by case following the sentences of the target language.
Collapse

Mexico
Local time: 13:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for nothing Apr 26, 2019

First of all, I'm just beginning in all this world of translation, I'm not a pro yet, but I'm trying to get more experience every time. Secondly, English is not my 1st language. I used the terms case studies, qualitative data collection method, etc. as a reference for a COMPLETE glossary about research terminology with more in-depth or complicated terms, not because I do not know how to translate such terms. Since it is my first time translating in this specific area, I wanted to do some resear... See more
First of all, I'm just beginning in all this world of translation, I'm not a pro yet, but I'm trying to get more experience every time. Secondly, English is not my 1st language. I used the terms case studies, qualitative data collection method, etc. as a reference for a COMPLETE glossary about research terminology with more in-depth or complicated terms, not because I do not know how to translate such terms. Since it is my first time translating in this specific area, I wanted to do some research about the terminology in order for my translation to be more accurate (this is what you do when it is your first time translating in an area you're not familiarized with, in case you didn't know) that's why I decided to look for a glossary, and as a result I ended up here. Even in ‘common and easy to translate’ areas like 'Research' I bet you could run into some hard words. Regarding the glossary about communications I guess it is also really 'easy' and that's why you didn't bother in mention anything about that part. Finally, I was looking for glossaries, not for and explanation of what is translation, which I already know. I hope you now understand my post.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

communications glossary

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »