Most popular Translation Memory systems in UK / Poland
Thread poster: imali
imali
imali
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:13
Oct 5, 2019

Hello there,
I have only just joined PROZ and looking for some info in terms of the most popular TM systems that are in use in the UK and Poland, thinking of acquiring one. Thank you in advance for all the help you can give me.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 07:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
WF Oct 8, 2019

I recommend WordFast, as it is cheaper and easier to use than the "industry standard" (Trados). I use WF Classic version myself, but there are others, and I think you can still get a free demo.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Imali Oct 8, 2019

imali wrote:
I am looking for some info in terms of the most popular TM systems that are in use in the UK and Poland, thinking of acquiring one.

imali

Welcome to ProZ.com, Imali. Is this for a university assignment, or do you want to buy a CAT tool for your own use? Why do you want to know specifically about Poland? Are you trying to make sure that there will be local trainers available?

imali
imali
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:13
TOPIC STARTER
Both, assignment and future work Oct 8, 2019

I would like to consider a system which is the most popular after Trados and WordFast (I can't use WordFast for assignment as we learned on that), so I need a third most popular/good one. I was told MemoQ...

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Imali Oct 8, 2019

imali wrote:
I would like to consider a system which is the most popular after Trados and WordFast (I can't use WordFast for assignment as we learned on that), so I need a third most popular/good one. I was told MemoQ.

Yes, MemoQ is sufficiently similar to Trados and Wordfast so that it will feel familiar, yet sufficiently different from them that you will learn additional skills. However, all three these tools cost money. If you used Wordfast Pro (3 or 5), then you can also try Wordfast Anywhere (the web-based version), since it is quite different from Wordfast Pro. There is also OmegaT, which is free, which will give you yet another different type of tool to evaluate. They are all good tools, each with advantages and disadvantages.

What do you mean by "popular"? (-: I mean, why would it matter if the tool is popular? The important thing is whether you will be able to work with clients who prefer one of those tools, but in many cases the agency would be able to send you the files in a compatible format.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Most popular Translation Memory systems in UK / Poland

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »