How to type the Euro sign on my keyboard
Thread poster: Tamara Zahran
Tamara Zahran
Tamara Zahran  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:40
English to Arabic
Nov 10, 2004

Hello all,

I have Windows XP Professional and use Labtec keyboard, English and Arabic, there is a key for the Dollar sign on my keyboard, but I would like to know if there is a way to type the Euro and Sterling Pound on such a keyboard. It's not a problem in Word, because I can always use the Symbols and assign a shortcut key for the symbols I want. But what about using these symbols in other applications or on the Internet, for example?

Thank you in advance

PatriziaM.
PatriziaM.  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:40
English to Italian
+ ...
Eur on the same key of "e" Nov 10, 2004

Tamara Zahran wrote:

Hello all,

I have Windows XP Professional and use Labtec keyboard, English and Arabic, there is a key for the Dollar sign on my keyboard, but I would like to know if there is a way to type the Euro and Sterling Pound on such a keyboard.
(cut)

Thank you in advance

In my keyboard (an HP keyboard) the Eur sign is on the same key of the letter "e", the Sterling Pound is on the same key of the number "3".
I hope it helps you.

Doaa El Hefnawy
Doaa El Hefnawy  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
Typing the Euro and Sterling Signs Nov 10, 2004

Dear Tamara,

To type the Euro sign in Windows, you press the alt key+0128. As for the Sterling pound symbol, you can type it by pressing the alt key+0163. You can have a look at this site where it lists ways to type different currency symbols:
http://www.fonts.com/fontent/fontent_home.asp?nCo=AFMT&con=fyti_currency

Please note that y
... See more
Dear Tamara,

To type the Euro sign in Windows, you press the alt key+0128. As for the Sterling pound symbol, you can type it by pressing the alt key+0163. You can have a look at this site where it lists ways to type different currency symbols:
http://www.fonts.com/fontent/fontent_home.asp?nCo=AFMT&con=fyti_currency

Please note that you have to type the 4-digit code on the numeric keypad (do not use the normal number keys) while holding down the Alt key.

There were also past discussion in the forums, such as:
http://www.proz.com/post/41613

Hope this helps.

[Edited at 2004-11-10 21:13]
Collapse

Almir Comor MITI
Almir Comor MITI  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2004)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Euro and Pound signs Nov 10, 2004

My keyboard has no Euro or Pound sign either, so hopefully this can help:

€ = right ALT + "E" (or, left CTRL + ALT + "E")

£ = right ALT + "L" (or, left CTRL + ALT + "L")

HTH

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
Local time: 12:40
English to German
+ ...
Start-Run Nov 10, 2004

Go to Start then run

type CHARMAP into run and you will get all the characters than just copy and paste €

I hope this is what you meant

Andrea

11thmuse
11thmuse  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:40
English to Dutch
+ ...
Hotkeys Nov 10, 2004

In Office (Word) you could make a hot key. Go to insert>symbol> make your hot key. My Euro in Word is Ctrl + Alt + 5

swisstell
swisstell
Italy
German to English
+ ...
a lot of good advice Nov 10, 2004

to a question which I also had lingering in the back of my mind. Thank you all for so many solutions that I find myself
spoilt by such great assistance!

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
Local time: 12:40
English to German
+ ...
CTRL + Alt +E Nov 10, 2004

Andrea Di Marco wrote:

Go to Start then run

type CHARMAP into run and you will get all the characters than just copy and paste €

I hope this is what you meant

Andrea

CTRL + Alt + E press altogether this is it on my keyboard.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 19:40
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Yes, but only within Office Nov 10, 2004

while Alt+ 0128, suggested above, works also in, say, Eudora.

Uldis

Andrea Di Marco wrote:
CTRL + Alt + E press altogether this is it on my keyboard.

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:40
Italian to English
+ ...
Right ALT + 5... Nov 11, 2004

If you use US International keyboard with dead keys you can simply do a RIGHT ALT + 5 in any application. You may need to use another keyboard layout, but in Windows 2000 and above you should be able to change the keyboard layout on the fly.

R.
==

Stephen Mulraney
Stephen Mulraney
Polish to English
Ctrl+Alt = AltGr Nov 11, 2004

By the way, Control+Alt is the same as "AltGr" (or whatever the righthand "alt" key is called on your keyboard).

Xenia Wong
Xenia Wong  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wonderful Tips Nov 20, 2004

Thanks for all these great tips. I learn something new from my colleagues every single day!

uktechgal
uktechgal
Local time: 17:40
English
How to type Euro/Pound Sterling sign on US laptop keyboard Sep 9, 2005

Hello,

I am new to this site and recently moved to the UK with my US-configured IBM laptop keyboard. I am familiar with how to use the Windows international settings, Word's insert symbol and keystroke shortcuts, and the Character Map. However, I would really LOVE suggestions on how to create keyboard shortcuts that work universally to allow me to easily switch back and forth between US/UK/Euro currency symbols.

The Alt-0163 etc. shortcuts work very poorly on a laptop
... See more
Hello,

I am new to this site and recently moved to the UK with my US-configured IBM laptop keyboard. I am familiar with how to use the Windows international settings, Word's insert symbol and keystroke shortcuts, and the Character Map. However, I would really LOVE suggestions on how to create keyboard shortcuts that work universally to allow me to easily switch back and forth between US/UK/Euro currency symbols.

The Alt-0163 etc. shortcuts work very poorly on a laptop as there is no separate number keypad and the shortcuts don't work with the regular number keys. The Right-Alt key (as previously mentioned) launches the menu system.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you very much,

LL
Collapse

mtnc6pm
mtnc6pm
English
Apple sign Mar 15, 2008

Good day to everyone,

I also have a similar question but it is something different in a way. Well, of course many, if not, of us know the Apple sign by MacOS. Is there anyone who knows how to type it in? What is the alt + key combination?

Thanks.

more complicated keyboard Jul 1, 2011

It might be more complicated on my keyboard, those explanations that I have read on this websites just does not work, I have tried tto use all of them unfortunatelly I had to give up and do some research by myself and in my opinion when it does not work by pressing Alt and 5 then we have to add this sign in Windows, those programs like to add key shortcuts, otherwsie they behave unresponsivelly to those commands, they like to be programmed the way we want to use them so in this case the symbol E... See more
It might be more complicated on my keyboard, those explanations that I have read on this websites just does not work, I have tried tto use all of them unfortunatelly I had to give up and do some research by myself and in my opinion when it does not work by pressing Alt and 5 then we have to add this sign in Windows, those programs like to add key shortcuts, otherwsie they behave unresponsivelly to those commands, they like to be programmed the way we want to use them so in this case the symbol Euro has to be saved in Windows shortcuts buttons.Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to type the Euro sign on my keyboard

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »