Win7 EOL... And now what?
Thread poster: carrick16
Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Congrats for the dedication Feb 7, 2020

Hi Eva,

I guess migrating from Windows to GNU/Linux can take some time, which may vary depending on many factors. It certainly requires some dedication and patience!

In a translation context, this OS migration can take longer if you also have to figure out how to use different tools for your work.

This seems to be the case for you, at least regarding the office suite (you were using Microsoft Word and are now working on LibreOffice Writer?).

GN
... See more
Hi Eva,

I guess migrating from Windows to GNU/Linux can take some time, which may vary depending on many factors. It certainly requires some dedication and patience!

In a translation context, this OS migration can take longer if you also have to figure out how to use different tools for your work.

This seems to be the case for you, at least regarding the office suite (you were using Microsoft Word and are now working on LibreOffice Writer?).

GNU/Linux distributions are generally known for providing excellent community support.

For translation-related questions, though, consider posting in the Linux OS / Free software section of these forums: https://www.proz.com/forum/linux_os_free_software-70.html

Cheers,

Jean
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Extended Security Updates $25-$200/device Feb 10, 2020

A funny fact: It took the overhyped Windows 10 (July 2015) almost four years to take the lead from W7 (July 2009) which still occupies about 30% of the market.

While there're (1) paid updates for W7 Pro and Enterprise versions till 2023+, geeks are said to find semi/legal ways for updates, offering (2) hacks and posting (3) updates on ftps.

You decide, of course. Meanwhile my colleagues and friends seem to enjoy Linux Mint out-of-the-box, whereas others mainta
... See more
A funny fact: It took the overhyped Windows 10 (July 2015) almost four years to take the lead from W7 (July 2009) which still occupies about 30% of the market.

While there're (1) paid updates for W7 Pro and Enterprise versions till 2023+, geeks are said to find semi/legal ways for updates, offering (2) hacks and posting (3) updates on ftps.

You decide, of course. Meanwhile my colleagues and friends seem to enjoy Linux Mint out-of-the-box, whereas others maintain old good w7.
Collapse

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:05
Member (2005)
French to English
Windows 8 as an intermediate step Feb 12, 2020

I got 2 licences for Windows 8, cheaply on e-Bay: 5 euros apiece.

I fiddled around with Linux for a few weeks, running it side-by-side with Windows 7, until I crashed my hard disk. In so doing, I lost a lot of useful information, including my TO3000 invoicing records. However, the Dell recovery software saved my Documents folder.

From the Linux fiasco, I learned that one should avoid any Linux distributions that aren't fully tested. One should also take an image of the
... See more
I got 2 licences for Windows 8, cheaply on e-Bay: 5 euros apiece.

I fiddled around with Linux for a few weeks, running it side-by-side with Windows 7, until I crashed my hard disk. In so doing, I lost a lot of useful information, including my TO3000 invoicing records. However, the Dell recovery software saved my Documents folder.

From the Linux fiasco, I learned that one should avoid any Linux distributions that aren't fully tested. One should also take an image of the Windows HD to restore items from.
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
W8.1 + LinuxMint.com Feb 12, 2020

Ian, while most Linux distros require specific knowledge and preparation, I really doubt your case is most obvious and representative: what hardware? what distro? how installed? updates, drivers, and logs? what issues exactly? troubleshooting? and so on.

I often try Live (USB flash/without HDD/SDD) and installed distros from https://linuxmint.com for i5/i7 and AMD--both on hosts and virtual
... See more
Ian, while most Linux distros require specific knowledge and preparation, I really doubt your case is most obvious and representative: what hardware? what distro? how installed? updates, drivers, and logs? what issues exactly? troubleshooting? and so on.

I often try Live (USB flash/without HDD/SDD) and installed distros from https://linuxmint.com for i5/i7 and AMD--both on hosts and virtual machines--no problem, occasionally checking fora and video to learn certain nuances.

At the moment I have an ultrabook with real dualboot for Win8.1 + Mate 19.3 running smoothly over a year.

However, I wouldn't recommend buying cheap corporate licenses for in most countries it's not legal and often revoked.

Indeed, whatever the OS and hardware, a regular back up is a must!

[Edited at 2020-02-12 17:47 GMT]
Collapse

David Hop
David Hop
Bangladesh
Updated windows to 10! Mar 19, 2020

I have used Windows 7 more than 3 years. And I updated my windows before 3 years ago. Enjoying a lot with the latest updated windows 10.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Win7 EOL... And now what?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »