Is there any way to turn off "spellchecking" in Chinese?
Thread poster: Jean Chao
Jean Chao
Jean Chao  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:02
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sep 10, 2012

Since I'm only translating some small documents (less than 1,500 words) in XTM, I've pretty much worked out all but one frustration with yet again another new CAT tool.

This over-zealous feature of XTM that really slows me down and gives me the dizziness whenever it pops up--spellchecking Mandarin Chinese. I'm not sure what it meant anyway since there's no way to "spellcheck" Chinese characters, so I assume it means to "proofread". It's quite stubborn. It pops up whenever it th
... See more
Since I'm only translating some small documents (less than 1,500 words) in XTM, I've pretty much worked out all but one frustration with yet again another new CAT tool.

This over-zealous feature of XTM that really slows me down and gives me the dizziness whenever it pops up--spellchecking Mandarin Chinese. I'm not sure what it meant anyway since there's no way to "spellcheck" Chinese characters, so I assume it means to "proofread". It's quite stubborn. It pops up whenever it thinks you need to "spellcheck" your sentence no matter where your thought of train is. It won't go away until you clear it for at least two times.

I do a whole document proofreading when I'm all done with my translation. This persistent reminding has become a nag, instead of a help. My client told me she has no way to turn off this feature. I was wondering if anyone knows if there's any way to turn it off?

Thanks a lot.

[Edited at 2012-09-10 01:25 GMT]
Collapse

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:02
RE: Sep 10, 2012

Hello,

At the moment it's impossible to turn off XTM spellcheck. We are very sorry, that you find some of our features more troublesome than helpfull. However we really appreciate feedback from our users and we are trying to satisfy all their needs.

Our developers are working on implmentation of possibility of turning XTM spellcheck off during translation. This feature will be released in October with new XTM version.

Kind regards,
Przemysław Nowa
... See more
Hello,

At the moment it's impossible to turn off XTM spellcheck. We are very sorry, that you find some of our features more troublesome than helpfull. However we really appreciate feedback from our users and we are trying to satisfy all their needs.

Our developers are working on implmentation of possibility of turning XTM spellcheck off during translation. This feature will be released in October with new XTM version.

Kind regards,
Przemysław Nowak
(XTM Support)
Collapse

Jean Chao
Jean Chao  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:02
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, XTM cloud support, for your prompt reply Sep 10, 2012

Hi, XTM Support,

Thanks for your prompt reply and positive attitude about problem solving. Looking forward to your new release in October so I can turn the "spellchecking" off when I work in XTM.

Best,
Jean

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Is there any way to turn off "spellchecking" in Chinese?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »