What's the best CAT to work with XTM exported files?
Thread poster: pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 14, 2012

I usually download the bilingual xliff file from XTM and translate it with Wordfast Pro, then re-upload the translated file on XTM.
However this process isn't always successfull - let's say 50% of the times it doesn't work and I have to copy-and-paste manually each sentence into XTM.

I read on this forum that also Trados allows to work offline with files downloaded from XTM.
So, my question is, what is the CAT tool which is best at not messing with XTM files?

Kate Tomkins
Kate Tomkins
Local time: 17:59
German to English
I would also like to know this Apr 18, 2013

Working online with XTM is simply too slow and impacts on my productivity. If I could download the files, translate them using Wordfast Pro and then upload them with no errors or delays I would be very happy, but it seems this is not an option.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:59
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How do you download it? Apr 18, 2013

Paola Slajmer wrote:
I usually download the bilingual xliff file from XTM and translate it with Wordfast Pro, then re-upload the translated file on XTM.

How do you download a file from XTM? I've never seen such an option...

Oleksandra Radkevych

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:59
RE: Apr 18, 2013

Hello,

The only way of translating projects outside XTM is to create project in our system and generate xliff file. Such file can be than translated in any CAT tool which support xliff files or in any text editor. After that, translated file can be uploaded back to XTM (external tool have to maintain xliff format of the file)

Usually when translators are having problems with uploading translated file back to XTM, their problems are caused by modified number of inline el
... See more
Hello,

The only way of translating projects outside XTM is to create project in our system and generate xliff file. Such file can be than translated in any CAT tool which support xliff files or in any text editor. After that, translated file can be uploaded back to XTM (external tool have to maintain xliff format of the file)

Usually when translators are having problems with uploading translated file back to XTM, their problems are caused by modified number of inline elements (To upload file back to XTM, number of inline elements must be always identical in source and target text). Other problems are caused by modifying structure of xliff files while generating translated files in external CAT tools (additional spaces, tags).

If translator did not change number of inline elements and target file will be correctly generated by other CAT tool, than XTM will not have any problems with uploading file back.

XLIFF files can be generated from XTM project menu--> files tab--> XLIFF

In case of any problems, please write directly to [email protected]

Kind regards,

Przemysław Nowak
(XTM Support)

[Edited at 2013-04-18 11:47 GMT]
Collapse

pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Download bilingual XLIFF Apr 18, 2013

In your XTM inbox, click on the green arrow icon pointing downward and choose "Prepare bilingual XLIFF file and download it".

If translating with Wordfast Pro, be sure to have copied all the sources to targets before doing so, otherwise the translation won't be imported back in XTM once done.
Also, you will need to set custom filter to import an XLIFF in Wordfast (step by step instruction available on WF wikis). Once imported, WF will create a TXML and will handle the translat
... See more
In your XTM inbox, click on the green arrow icon pointing downward and choose "Prepare bilingual XLIFF file and download it".

If translating with Wordfast Pro, be sure to have copied all the sources to targets before doing so, otherwise the translation won't be imported back in XTM once done.
Also, you will need to set custom filter to import an XLIFF in Wordfast (step by step instruction available on WF wikis). Once imported, WF will create a TXML and will handle the translation as usually done. when you are finished translating, choose Save target as... to generate the clean bilingual XLIFF file.

To import back your translated XLIFF in XTM, click on the blue arrow pointing upward and choose the import menu item. The name of the imported XLIFF is irrelevant (i.e. it can have the language suffix that Wordfast automatically put on the clean files).

[Edited at 2013-04-18 11:21 GMT]
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

What's the best CAT to work with XTM exported files?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »