Mark text not for translation
Thread poster: QUOI
QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Mar 4, 2014

Hi all,
I am new to XTM and am aware that I can mark text not for translation by applying "DoNotTranslate" style to text concerned.

I am wondering however if I can achieve this by marking text in a particular color like you can do with Excel files in DVX (ignore red)? I am currently dealing with many excel files in which the client has already marked non-translatable text in red.

Any information will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:57
Excluding text marked in certain color from translation Mar 4, 2014

Hello,

In XTM version 8.2 we have introduced the possibility to exclude text marked in any color from translation in Excel files by preparing a proper ITS rule. In order for us to prepare it for you, please provide your company name, customer name to which this rule should be applied and the mentioned Excel file. Please send your reply to [email protected]

Kind regards,
XTM Support Team

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 06:57
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Delete it! Mar 4, 2014

This may sound very strange, but it's based on the fact that the Track Changes feature of MS Office (and only MS Office, it seems) doesn't track changes if those changes were made outside the program. And it just works, as we say.

- Open the spreadsheet.
- Set Track Changes.
- Delete the cells you don't have to translate (Find red text, replace with nothingness)
- Save.
- Translate in your CAT tool
- Export.
- Open in Excel.
- Reject All Cha
... See more
This may sound very strange, but it's based on the fact that the Track Changes feature of MS Office (and only MS Office, it seems) doesn't track changes if those changes were made outside the program. And it just works, as we say.

- Open the spreadsheet.
- Set Track Changes.
- Delete the cells you don't have to translate (Find red text, replace with nothingness)
- Save.
- Export.
- Open in Excel.
- Reject All Changes.

Especially the very last item on the list sounds very counterintuitive, but it's crucial.

Please try on a copy of the Excel file.

Cheers,

Hans
Collapse

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I see Mar 4, 2014

Appreciate your info. Hopefully it can become a user-defined option instead of having to request it every time when there is a need. Thanks.

XTM Intl wrote:

Hello,

In XTM version 8.2 we have introduced the possibility to exclude text marked in any color from translation in Excel files by preparing a proper ITS rule. In order for us to prepare it for you, please provide your company name, customer name to which this rule should be applied and the mentioned Excel file. Please send your reply to [email protected]

Kind regards,
XTM Support Team

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting solution Mar 4, 2014

A bit mad but I shall try. Thanks.
Translation will be regarded as changes and if you reject all changes, doesn't that mean your translation is also rejected?

Meta Arkadia wrote:

- Open the spreadsheet.
- Set Track Changes.
- Save.
- Export.
- Open in Excel.
- Reject All Changes.

Especially the very last item on the list sounds very counterintuitive, but it's crucial.

Please try on a copy of the Excel file.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2014-03-04 09:52 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Quantum-mechanics Mar 4, 2014

QUOI wrote: A bit mad but I shall try.

Completely crazy. I found out by leveraging my rocket engineering and quantum-mechenics classes, and sheer intelligence. And a bit of luck. Lots of luck, actually.

Cheers,

Hans

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Sorry for not answering your last question Mar 5, 2014

QUOI wrote: Translation will be regarded as changes and if you reject all changes, doesn't that mean your translation is also rejected?

No. You don't seem to understand the very strangeness - and essence - of this solution. The translation is not rejected, because MS Excel didn't track it. It can't. Excel (Word, PPP) can only track changes if made in Excel (Word, PPP), and you performed the translation in your CAT tool. So after rejecting the the changes, you'll end up with an Excel file containing the translation and the untranslatables in red, exactly what you want. I admit it may take some time to get used to the idea.

Cheers,

Hans

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A workaround it is... Mar 5, 2014

Thanks for the trick. Cheers.

[quote]Meta Arkadia wrote:

No. You don't seem to understand the very strangeness - and essence - of this solution. The translation is not rejected, because MS Excel didn't track it. It can't. Excel (Word, PPP) can only track changes if made in Excel (Word, PPP), and you performed the translation in your CAT tool. So after rejecting the the changes, you'll end up with an Excel file containing the translation and the untranslatables in red, exactly what you want. I admit it may take some time to get used to the idea.

Cheers,

Hans

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: duplicate post

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Mark text not for translation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »