Why can we not edit answers?
Thread poster: Anne-Marie Grant (X)
Anne-Marie Grant (X)
Anne-Marie Grant (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:37
French to English
+ ...
May 10, 2009

I find it strange that there is no edit function in kudoz (other than for your peer comments to others' answers). Is there a reason for this? Even if there were just a two-minute window of opportunity, so that if you made a typo, or suddenly realised you'd made a mistake you could rectify it without having to hide the entire answer. I understand that it would be confusing if people changed their answers according to peer comments, but surely if there were just a small period between posting and ... See more
I find it strange that there is no edit function in kudoz (other than for your peer comments to others' answers). Is there a reason for this? Even if there were just a two-minute window of opportunity, so that if you made a typo, or suddenly realised you'd made a mistake you could rectify it without having to hide the entire answer. I understand that it would be confusing if people changed their answers according to peer comments, but surely if there were just a small period between posting and possible editing that would not be a problem? What do others think?Collapse

Roberto Vallasciani
Roberto Vallasciani
Argentina
Local time: 07:37
French to Spanish
+ ...
answer edition May 10, 2009

agree. I consider that a "chat" facility could be very useful

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:37
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Already there. May 10, 2009

It's called "Preview answer" which allows any time span needed to carefully check the answer before sending it.

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:37
English to French
Add a note May 11, 2009

A period between posting and possible editing would have to be very short, i.e. a few seconds. Two minutes is too long, you have time to change your answer according to other answers posted. I think it's better to simply add a note to your answer.

Stéphanie

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Leave it as it is May 11, 2009

I think the present system of preview plus the possibility of adding notes to the answer is reasonable. If editing of answers were allowed, it would not be possible to follow the answerer's modifications to his opinion. Also, some who agreed with the original answer might not agree with the new one, and some who didn't might change their mind if they knew of the changes, which they presumably wouldn't, unless you propose notifying editing changes to everyone who showed an interest in the quest... See more
I think the present system of preview plus the possibility of adding notes to the answer is reasonable. If editing of answers were allowed, it would not be possible to follow the answerer's modifications to his opinion. Also, some who agreed with the original answer might not agree with the new one, and some who didn't might change their mind if they knew of the changes, which they presumably wouldn't, unless you propose notifying editing changes to everyone who showed an interest in the question. An editing facility would be open to abuse, allowing answerers to cherry-pick the best from other answers to improve their own without leaving any trace of this on the answer page.
No, better to leave it as it is.
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Agree completely-don't make life easier for answer cherry pickers May 11, 2009

Jack Doughty wrote:

I think the present system of preview plus the possibility of adding notes to the answer is reasonable. If editing of answers were allowed, it would not be possible to follow the answerer's modifications to his opinion. Also, some who agreed with the original answer might not agree with the new one, and some who didn't might change their mind if they knew of the changes, which they presumably wouldn't, unless you propose notifying editing changes to everyone who showed an interest in the question. An editing facility would be open to abuse, allowing answerers to cherry-pick the best from other answers to improve their own without leaving any trace of this on the answer page.
No, better to leave it as it is.

Please don't allow editing of answers. There is already a small army of Kudoz invaders who routinely hide their hastily posted, off-the-wall suggestions and then re-post an answer that they cherry-pick from other colleagues and try to make it look like "their" answer. It's a disgusting practice and it works especially well for a few people who manage to fool even more by showing up with ridiculously high positions on the Kudoz leader board.
I also agree with colleagues that the preview function and the possibility of adding notes is more than enough. And there is also the option of presenting a well-researched, well-written answer by taking the time to do so. Sometimes, the worst answers roll in first and the best answers come in after the question has been closed (especially nowadays, since questions are closed very quickly). Sadly the rapidly chosen blunders remain in the glossary, but that is starting to get off topic...

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
preferences May 11, 2009

As for me I would prefer having 1) an auto-preview, 2) edit answer, 3) and edit chosen answer (by Asker), and... Think it will do for now

Anne-Marie Grant (X)
Anne-Marie Grant (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK you've convinced me! May 11, 2009

I was really thinking along the lines of human error/typos etc rather than considering the possibility that this might encourage machiavellian practices. As long as there is a points system I guess you're right that there should be no possibility of editing answers. Thanks for the interesting replies.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why can we not edit answers?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »