Poll: I live in...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mehdi Caps
Mehdi Caps  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:48
English to French
+ ...
Rates Aug 13, 2011

Higher rates with higher expenses, so in the end, what does it change? For the translator, I mean.

Being paid $0.05 per word and living in the sticks may be more advantageous economically than being paid $0.10 and living in Manhattan.

The same thing applies to countries/continents.

Eser Perkins
Eser Perkins  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
In one of the biggest, most crowded cities... Aug 13, 2011

... but I lived in the middle of nowhere as well. I can only say that as long as you don't own the house you live in and you have bills to pay while feeding multiple mouths, you need a lot of money to sustain your life in the countryside. Electricity, water, internet bills still cost the same wherever you go in the country, just the same for gas. To give an example from myself, I had to keep enough gas in my tank plus some extra in the trunk to make sure the wild boars wouldn't feast on me in t... See more
... but I lived in the middle of nowhere as well. I can only say that as long as you don't own the house you live in and you have bills to pay while feeding multiple mouths, you need a lot of money to sustain your life in the countryside. Electricity, water, internet bills still cost the same wherever you go in the country, just the same for gas. To give an example from myself, I had to keep enough gas in my tank plus some extra in the trunk to make sure the wild boars wouldn't feast on me in the woods in case I ran out. Not to mention that the dirt roads beat up the poor old car so badly that I couldn't pass a week without having to visit the mechanics shop. I had to travel 35 km to get to the nearest hospital, shopping mall, etc. So I had to keep a pantry (plus the freezer) full of food stuff as well as cabinets full of cleaners, personals, etc. I had to travel 3 km to get to a general store, where everything costs at least three times as much as a store in the town center, to get my bread or to see any sign of human life around. Add two kids to this equation, and I dare you to accept 2-3 cents per word just because you don't live in the city.Collapse

Elena Novski
Elena Novski
Canada
Local time: 16:48
Russian to English
+ ...
It depends on what kind of language activities you want to be in... Aug 14, 2011

If I want to be into interpreting, no doubt, I have no choice but staying in a big city, I mean, interpreting in business, technology, or social areas. It is a highly competitive area, and no agency will ever give me a call if I am just a step outside Toronto.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:48
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nicole is right about large cities Aug 14, 2011

I lived in Washington DC for much of my career. Not only was there a thriving translation market, but colleagues were consistent about standing up for decent rates. I have moved to San Diego, which has a population of 800,000 in the city and 2,000,000 in the metropolitan area, so it's not much smaller than Washington. However, the rates here are lower and there isn't nearly as much of a translation presence.

I owe all my best-paying clients to contacts I made when I was in Washingt
... See more
I lived in Washington DC for much of my career. Not only was there a thriving translation market, but colleagues were consistent about standing up for decent rates. I have moved to San Diego, which has a population of 800,000 in the city and 2,000,000 in the metropolitan area, so it's not much smaller than Washington. However, the rates here are lower and there isn't nearly as much of a translation presence.

I owe all my best-paying clients to contacts I made when I was in Washington.

Some of the best-paid translation work is with large international organizations, and the majority of them are based in large cities: Washington, New York Geneva, Paris, Brussels (OK, so the EU is an exception--it's its own city, almost). The large cities also tend to host the headquarters of large international businesses. This climate definitely attracts translators and interpreters, and therefore some regulation of the profession.
Collapse

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:48
English to Italian
small city Aug 14, 2011

well 100.000 people form me make a small city.
I actually don't know, if this may change the approach to a translator, I have never been offered a different rate just because I don't live in Rome for instance.
For example, I cooperate with some colleagues, we work as a team for the same client, well we all live in different places, some bigger some smaller, well we all get paid the same rate.

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
In the village Aug 14, 2011

in the global village
i would add for the customers: in a big city you get quicker a translator, but lose quicker your trade secrets

[Edited at 2011-08-14 07:58 GMT]

Mami Yamaguchi
Mami Yamaguchi  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:48
Member (2008)
English to Japanese
+ ...
ago,now, and future Aug 14, 2011

Now I live in the suburb of the prefectural city, until 8 years ago I resided in the idyllic environment where I would be awakened by quack. And I would commute by train for 2hours. In the future, I would like to move to the good enviroment I can secure a spot for my work place.

[Edited at 2011-08-14 10:32 GMT]

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 16:48
City or town, as you like Aug 14, 2011

Regensburg hat 150.000 inhabitants, it is definitely a city in Germany, but only a town by Chinese standard.

Dave Bindon
Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Greek to English
In memoriam
City Aug 14, 2011

Currently in Athens (about a third of the Greek population lives in the Athens Metropolitan Area), and formerly in London (yuck, glad I left!!!).

I'm not sure if I agree with Nicole or not, and - if I do - to what extent and in what way.

If I had any Greek clients my location might make the difference between 0.025 EUR and 0.03 EUR per word. However, I don't get out of bed for those rates so I have no Greek clients.

Non-Greek clients don't have much knowled
... See more
Currently in Athens (about a third of the Greek population lives in the Athens Metropolitan Area), and formerly in London (yuck, glad I left!!!).

I'm not sure if I agree with Nicole or not, and - if I do - to what extent and in what way.

If I had any Greek clients my location might make the difference between 0.025 EUR and 0.03 EUR per word. However, I don't get out of bed for those rates so I have no Greek clients.

Non-Greek clients don't have much knowledge of Greek geography, and have even less knowledge of the cost of living here and standard (local) rates of pay. They don't know that many of the islands are expensive because virtually everything has to come in by ferry from the mainland, or that Hydra is particularly expensive to live in because motor vehicles aren't allowed on the island, and everything has to be transported by donkey after it's unloaded from the ferry. The clients have never heard of Evoia, even though that's the second biggest Greek island. Knowing so little, I can't see how they'd come to any decision about rates based on where I live. I'm paid the same as if I still lived in the UK.

However, I do think that living in Athens benefits me in terms of gaining new (non-Greek) clients. If I lived on one of the touristy islands I could be perceived as an ex-pat who moved to the sun, picked up a bit of Greek, and started doing a bit of translating for spare cash to spend in the taverna by the beach. Living in the capital city might make me sound more 'professional' in a way, more likely to be available during UK office hours than the siesta-taking island residents.

I hasten to emphasise that the last paragraph is about possible perceptions of life in Athens vs life on the islands. The truth is that many businesses in Athens have a siesta timetable (or worse) and many of the islands keep running all day. But the truth doesn't matter too much: what people believe is the key.
Collapse

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:48
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
In a large city Sep 24, 2011

Lima, Peru, 8 million people.

Chaotic, smoggy, busy, but also: nice beaches, friendly people, delicious food. So there is a good balance there. I love it and wouldn't move anywhere else!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: I live in...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »