صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31] >
Corona quarantine diary
ناشر الموضوع: Mervyn Henderson

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
أسبانيا
Local time: 15:58
عضو
إسباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
Monday 4 May May 4

Only 168 deaths in Spain yesterday, so it does seem like it’s going down. For the moment. I’m still convinced of the contagion that must ensue from streets beginning to fill with people again, despite all the precautions. Today some small businesses have been allowed to open, too. Hairdressers among them, which I see as particularly dangerous, although they have to have shields and partitions and all the rest in place. I was out running again this morning, and there were a lot of people arou... See more
Only 168 deaths in Spain yesterday, so it does seem like it’s going down. For the moment. I’m still convinced of the contagion that must ensue from streets beginning to fill with people again, despite all the precautions. Today some small businesses have been allowed to open, too. Hairdressers among them, which I see as particularly dangerous, although they have to have shields and partitions and all the rest in place. I was out running again this morning, and there were a lot of people around with neither gloves nor masks. Time for that second wave any time now.

When most of the restrictions have been lifted, we will have reached the “new normality”, to use the official term. Sánchez might not even get Parliament’s say-so to extend the state of alarm, because the moaning minnies never let up, and they’re ever more numerous. I don't think Mr S is doing a fantastic job, but we all know they wouldn't do it any better.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino

Chris S  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
سويدي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
@Jennifer May 4

Jennifer Forbes wrote:

Thank you for your condolences, Chris. It's nice and warm down here.

You’re on the Isles of Scilly aren’t you, Jennifer? Is it life as normal out there with no lockdown?

expressisverbis
البرتغال
Local time: 14:58
عضو (2015)
أنجليزي إلى برتغالي
+ ...
The beginning of a "new normality"... May 4

In the neighbour country, if we need to use any of the public services, we should schedule in advance for an in-person appointment.
The same goes to hairdressers, beauty salons, barbers, etc.
This can be complicated and very time-consuming.
Hospital appointments are not postponed anymore. They will follow safe measures to meet patient's needs.
(I don't care… I will go on with my long hair for the moment, and I will cancel my medical appointments, and schedule them nex
... See more
In the neighbour country, if we need to use any of the public services, we should schedule in advance for an in-person appointment.
The same goes to hairdressers, beauty salons, barbers, etc.
This can be complicated and very time-consuming.
Hospital appointments are not postponed anymore. They will follow safe measures to meet patient's needs.
(I don't care… I will go on with my long hair for the moment, and I will cancel my medical appointments, and schedule them next year.)
Children will attend education and childcare settings, and I suspect they will be more exposed to risks.
INESC TEC (Porto Institute for Systems and Computer Engineering, Technology and Science) is creating an app to track contagion networks of Covic-19 (I think it will be very useful; there's a high risk of a relapse in this current month).
Restaurants and bars, as well as shopping centers will reopen later.
A Portuguese best practice guide will be available to help sectors and people to adopt new safe measures, and to keep follow the old ones.
It will still be a while before everything returns to normal, but studies show "everything will be alright" in the coming months, and in December we will be out of this nightmare.
Let's hope everyone all over the world regain their "old normality".
Collapse

Brian Joyce

Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
عضو (2006)
فرنسي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Chris S. again May 4

No Chris, I'm not quite that far west, I'm in Penzance, not the Isles of Scilly. I don't know how things are in Scilly but we certainly do have lockdown in Cornwall and (according to the daily bulletins on TV) a lower death rate than the rest of the UK - for now. Cornwall normally lives on tourism but the County Council's new motto is "Don't come to Cornwall". Really friendly. When I said it was nice and warm I was referring to somewhere a bit deeper down ...

Chris S
Mervyn Henderson
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
عضو (2004)
إيطالي إلى ألماني
+ ...
Portugal seems to have handled the crisis very well May 4

although it remains still a mistery why the country got off so mildly.

Portugal has also decided to extend citizenship rights to refugees and asylum seekers, so they can access public services, while other countries prefer to keep their eyes closed in front of irregulars that in their situation are not entitled to get healthcare.
Italy is thinking about a similar measure, but this will most likely be realized, if ever, long after the end of the pandemic. It's not the fault o
... See more

Portugal has also decided to extend citizenship rights to refugees and asylum seekers, so they can access public services, while other countries prefer to keep their eyes closed in front of irregulars that in their situation are not entitled to get healthcare.
Italy is thinking about a similar measure, but this will most likely be realized, if ever, long after the end of the pandemic. It's not the fault of those people, though, if their asylum applications are pending forever!
Collapse

expressisverbis
البرتغال
عضو (2015)
أنجليزي إلى برتغالي
+ ...
Earlier lockdown, I believe May 4

Christel Zipfel wrote:

Italy is thinking about a similar measure, but this will most likely be realized, if ever, long after the end of the pandemic. It's not the fault of those people, though, if their asylum applications are pending forever!

Christel,
In fact, Portugal was the last country in Europe to register its first case of COVID-19.
This action gave Portugal a great advantage over Spain.
The country decreed a total lockdown when it only had a handful of cases, which means we had just over 100 confirmed cases (with no deaths, if my memory serves me right) when restrictions were put into place.
On the other hand, we believe there are currently more dead and infected people.
In the beginning of this outbreak, the Portuguese Health Agency made a mistake in these figures and amended this in the following day.
I don't know… but lifting the restrictions so early here… is not a good option. I feel numbers will rise again as in March. Let's wait and see...

Mervyn Henderson

أسبانيا
عضو
إسباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
Smokin'!!! May 4

The minor incident with the police at the weekend and an exchange in private with another ProZian have reminded me of my previous life I had here in Bilbao. For two reasons: Basque police and the Basque language. This prior and previous life of mine was most previously prior and previous in the extreme, utterly and previously prior and priorily previous. In other words, I stress this was a long, long time ago ...

I haven’t smoked for a long time now – well, the odd ciggie now a
... See more
The minor incident with the police at the weekend and an exchange in private with another ProZian have reminded me of my previous life I had here in Bilbao. For two reasons: Basque police and the Basque language. This prior and previous life of mine was most previously prior and previous in the extreme, utterly and previously prior and priorily previous. In other words, I stress this was a long, long time ago ...

I haven’t smoked for a long time now – well, the odd ciggie now and again over the years in situations of stress, but basically I don’t. I had stopped smoking, in fact, well before 1 January 2010, when the no-smoking ban was introduced in bars in the country, but in 2010 I wondered how the “smoke bars”, for want of a better word, would fare now that people couldn’t smoke hash and marijuana inside, since I had long since stopped frequenting them. Where I lived at that time in this very, very, very prior and previous life there were half a dozen smoke bars in the neighbourhood, but the nearest and my favourite was 2 minutes from my house, and I would spend an hour or so there at midday, and another hour or so in the evening.

Prior to the smoking ban, about halfway through the first decade of the century, I would go there most days with my Basque newspaper and a little yellow Basque-English Langenscheidt dictionary. I was doing 2 hours of Basque every day, and meanwhile I read the Basque-language daily, the only one all in Euskera. Other papers had and still have the odd column in Basque, but this is the only one where every single word on every single page is in Basque.

There came a time when I no longer needed the dictionary, but it was very useful at first. I would read most of the paper, do the crossword, and even read the financial section too, because I was beginning to move into financial translations at the time. After a few years I had excellent Basque, and had even been on two occasions to a summer fortnight course with about twenty others out in the sticks in villages in the Basque hinterland, at a considerable distance from the arse end of nowhere, where Spanish really is a foreign language. Fast forward to 2020, and I can still read it, but it petered out over the years (Bilbao isn’t a classic Basque-speaking city) and my spoken Basque and rapid understanding of it have, sadly, considerably diminished. As I told the other ProZian, a stake drives itself through my heart when I remember what I had and lost.

The reading was incidental, though. Nor did I go there because it was a meeting point for Basque speakers, because I spoke more Basque than just about all the regulars. I went there for the same reasons everyone did, to smoke, to score, or both. One day the owner asked the four or five of us in there not to smoke until the police had been and gone. They were coming in to check some regulation about the pinball machine, some minor issue they had to see in situ. Not that the police didn’t know what went on in these places, but they turned a blind eye to all that because the laws were fairly lax, and anyway dopesmokers were mostly passive and rarely caused an affray. Still, there was no reason to push your luck with brown smoke being blown in a visiting policeman’s face. So we were all sitting around reading or drinking coffee or beer or whatever, and smoking cigarettes only when the police arrived.

There were two of them, a male and a female, and it was clear from the word go which one was in charge of things. She was an absolutely drop-dead gorgeous knockout of a woman, a redhead who looked as if she’d been designed and produced in a high-precision 3D printer at the Private or Playboy offices. She knew it, too. You can’t be that much of a cracker and not know. How she strutted. I swear she did actually strut, like she was on a Paris catwalk. I remember this goddess nodded politely, smiled and greeted me as she glided past, pausing to inspect my “Berria” newspaper and my little dictionary. God, was I sweating. I almost offered her the spliff I’d made before they came in and was holding under the table, but caught myself just in time. I even half-thought about lighting it up anyway to see if there was any remote chance she would arrest me. And perhaps even proceed to take down my particulars, who knows. As she strode about taking a look at the machines with the owner, whose jaw was on the floor throughout, I also remember thinking that it had to be a Candid Camera stunt, because this woman was absolute dynamite. Or that at any minute "You can keep your hat on" would start blaring out from somewhere as she turned into a strippogram for someone’s birthday.

They left about ten minutes later to a commotion of wowing, tongue-lolling and panting in the bar. I mentioned that I’d been tempted to light up just to see what would happen, and someone else said, “Light up? Don’t start. I was about to tell her they got the wrong man, and it was me killed Kennedy, not Oswald. Anything to get cuffed by that one with my hands behind my back to render me totally helpless.”

Another one agreed: “That girl must cause more crime than she prevents. It’s an invitation to blokes to find a brick and put it through a shop window whenever she comes along.”

I’d never seen her before, and I never saw her again.

[Edited at 2020-05-04 14:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-05-04 14:59 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis

Sorana_M.
رومانيا
Local time: 16:58
أنجليزي إلى روماني
Romania May 4

Lockdown measures to be gradually lifted in Romania starting May 15th. Except for those locations already in quarantine. The country was put under lockdown starting March 12th.

People over here are a mixed bunch, some stuck to the rules so far, others didn't. Some completely lost their jobs, others were temporarily released with their wages down at 75% (and paid late in some cases). Many ended up depending on food supplies from volunteers and various support organizations. Some stil
... See more
Lockdown measures to be gradually lifted in Romania starting May 15th. Except for those locations already in quarantine. The country was put under lockdown starting March 12th.

People over here are a mixed bunch, some stuck to the rules so far, others didn't. Some completely lost their jobs, others were temporarily released with their wages down at 75% (and paid late in some cases). Many ended up depending on food supplies from volunteers and various support organizations. Some still believe this virus doesn't exist. Others say wearing face masks in public when you are not sick doesn't help. During the day, streets were never completely empty. Medical offices (private practices) were closed except for the family doctors.

Prices have gone higher for several items - especially masks, gloves, sanitizing products and disinfectants.
Children and teens will NOT be returning to kindergarten/school this year. We are still implementing the online school system, as there has been and still is chaos in this respect, given the major differences between the urban and rural areas and not only.
Gatherings of more than 3 not related individuals will still be forbidden.

[Edited at 2020-05-04 15:19 GMT]

Oh, and my health deteriorated to the point I was lying in bed for days. Reading was a solace, though. I have also developed insomnia.

[Edited at 2020-05-04 15:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-05-04 16:34 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
عضو (2004)
إيطالي إلى ألماني
+ ...
Me too May 4

expressisverbis wrote:

I feel numbers will rise again as in March. Let's wait and see...

I believe this is unavoidable. The population, after the easing of a lockdown and relaxing of control measures, tends to behave again following its own logics. On the other side, continuing such measures for several months is unthinkable for political, economical and social reasons.
Every decision in that case is a tightrope walk and full of risks, whatever it will be.

expressisverbis
Anna Jaffe

expressisverbis
البرتغال
عضو (2015)
أنجليزي إلى برتغالي
+ ...
Be strong! May 4

Sorana_M. wrote:

People over here are a mixed bunch, some stuck to the rules so far, others didn't. Some completely lost their jobs, others were temporarily released with their wages down at 75% (and paid late in some cases). Many ended up depending on food supplies from volunteers and various support organizations. Some still believe this virus doesn't exist. Others say wearing face masks in public when you are not sick doesn't help. During the day, streets were never completely empty. Medical offices (private practices) were closed except for the family doctors.

Prices have gone higher for several items - especially masks, gloves, sanitizing products and disinfectants.
Children and teens will NOT be returning to kindergarten/school this year. We are still implementing the online school system, as there has been and still is chaos in this respect, given the major differences between the urban and rural areas and not only.
Gatherings of more than 3 not related individuals will still be forbidden.

[Edited at 2020-05-04 15:19 GMT]

Oh, and my health deteriorated to the point I was lying in bed for days. Reading was a solace, though. I have also developed insomnia.

[Edited at 2020-05-04 15:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-05-04 15:46 GMT]

A hug from Porto for you.
Me too, I have insomnia, but I have been suffering from it due my Mr. Graves Disease, which I suspect it has got worse.
Also, I have a close relative still infected, and she is going to have her 4th Covid-19 test tomorrow. She hasn't got any symptoms by now, but she is testing positive.
We are in the same boat.
Cheer up! Be strong!

[Edited at 2020-05-04 16:15 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson

expressisverbis
البرتغال
عضو (2015)
أنجليزي إلى برتغالي
+ ...
We cannot lower our guard! May 4

Christel Zipfel wrote:

I believe this is unavoidable. The population, after the easing of a lockdown and relaxing of control measures, tends to behave again following its own logics. On the other side, continuing such measures for several months is unthinkable for political, economical and social reasons.
Every decision in that case is a tightrope walk and full of risks, whatever it will be.

I totally agree with you, Christel… but one more month it would be wiser.
In the current situation, we should be careful facing this "new life", respect the measures still in place, and take care of each other like we have been doing so far.
By doing this, we can prevent a new rise in cases and deaths.
We cannot lower our guard!

Mervyn Henderson
Angie Garbarino

Sorana_M.
رومانيا
أنجليزي إلى روماني
+/- May 4

expressisverbis wrote:
A hug from Porto for you.
Me too, I have insomnia, but I have been suffering from it due my Mr. Graves Disease, which I suspect it has got worse.
Also, I have a close relative still infected, and she is going to have her 4th Covid-19 test tomorrow. She hasn't got any symptoms by now, but she is testing positive.
We are in the same boat.
Cheer up! Be strong!

[Edited at 2020-05-04 16:15 GMT]

Thank you. In Romania, we have had a young asymptomatic man who is also a dance instructor testing positive and being hospitalized for... 6 weeks. Nobody could explain what the heck was going on.

As we have also had a 16-year old teenager released from the hospital in just 4 days.

أسبانيا
عضو
إسباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
Tuesday 5 May May 5

164 deaths in Spain yesterday, which is 4 less than the day before, so not much movement there.

And … it had to come. A coronavirus film. The word is that Hollywood will be bringing out a blockbuster based on Covid-19, so watch out for “Lockdown Love”, not coming to a cinema near you for the duration, admittedly, but it’s only a matter of time.

According to veteran director Frederickk J. Hossenpfeffer, it is “a tearjerking poignant histoire of tragedy amid t
... See more
164 deaths in Spain yesterday, which is 4 less than the day before, so not much movement there.

And … it had to come. A coronavirus film. The word is that Hollywood will be bringing out a blockbuster based on Covid-19, so watch out for “Lockdown Love”, not coming to a cinema near you for the duration, admittedly, but it’s only a matter of time.

According to veteran director Frederickk J. Hossenpfeffer, it is “a tearjerking poignant histoire of tragedy amid tenderness, hope amid desperation and love amid carnage that changes people’s lives forever.” The Washington Post talked to up-and-coming starlet Brenda Hawkins, playing the lead role of a young woman trapped in lockdown at a rehab centre who discovers feelings for three different members of staff:

“Well, any young actress would jump at the chance to work with Hossie, of course. I call him Hossie, because it’s much easier. He just can’t abide being called Freddie, you see, or Fred, which is even worse, and of course people don’t know they have to pronounce that extra K at the end of his name, and that simply infuriates him. But it’s so hard to do, anyway, because you have to kind of click another K out, whereas Hossie can do it, naturally, because it’s his name!

But he’s such a darling. A perfectionist, though, a genius, and a demanding genius at that. But especially demanding of himself, you know, not just the actors. And he knows what he wants. I heard him talking to the producers one day. They were up in arms about the cost of building and fitting out an entire rehab centre from scratch, and they’d asked him why he couldn’t just put together a few sets in the studio, or even hire some building for a few weeks. Well, either it was my imagination or it was just a trick of the light because he was standing at the window gazing out at the city below, but I could have sworn his entire silhouette was framed by a thin glowing line as he spoke gravely into the phone:

“You must understand that I have commitments, gentlemen. I need, crave and demand reality because it is the only way I can be true to myself, as a man and as a creator. How can my people, my actors, my troupe, be expected to portray reality if around them nothing is real and everything is contrived? No. I would sooner die than settle for anything less.”

So he got what he wanted. At the casting I just had to express my doubts about the nude scenes because, well, all right, I’m just starting out, but I’m certainly not the sort of girl who just takes her kit off at the drop of a hat simply to get a part, but dear Hossie explained it all to me. He took me aside, threw that big floppy velvet hat of his on the director’s chair, put a finger on his cheek, the way he does sometimes, and studied me thoughtfully for a few minutes. Then he told me calmly it would actually be Wrong not to do it, and that in fact some people might even consider not doing it a kind of Artistic Crime, if you see what I mean.

And he told me he had been considering Sienna Miller for the part, but he thought it just wasn’t Her, you know. And I’m so fond of Sienna, too, and she’s such a lovely person and one of my best friends, in fact, but I agree that it wouldn’t have been right for her, she just wouldn’t have been able to handle it, and I started to babble and sob a little, and then he just looked at me over the horn-rimmed glasses, put his hand ever so gently on my shoulder and said “When I worked with Jenny Agutter, she said the same thing. How could that young innocent girl who starred in such a heartrending film as The Railway Children bring herself to appear naked in just about every film she acted in later? But she Understood that it was Necessary. I would be Lying if I told you that someone else, or even anyone else, could Play this Role, Brenda. It has to be You. You are the Only Woman Alive who can do it, believe me.”

And after that, of course, it was totally clear, and later on I even had no qualms whatsoever about the scene where … well, I can’t actually tell you what happens, of course, but let’s just say the clapper board said “Triple-team, laundry room”.

[Edited at 2020-05-05 11:54 GMT]
Collapse

Chris S
expressisverbis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Sorana_M.
رومانيا
أنجليزي إلى روماني
Gains and losses May 6

As I haven't been contacted by any client for a longer-than-desired period of time, I've invested a rather large amount of money in an online business, hoping to combine leisure and gains. However, as I seem to have been struck by ill-luck, it all went downhill. It's not the first time this happens to me, I could swear there is someone or something actually wishing for me to screw up, even putting their own efforts into it. It's like, if someone starts a business and I start a similar one, that ... See more
As I haven't been contacted by any client for a longer-than-desired period of time, I've invested a rather large amount of money in an online business, hoping to combine leisure and gains. However, as I seem to have been struck by ill-luck, it all went downhill. It's not the first time this happens to me, I could swear there is someone or something actually wishing for me to screw up, even putting their own efforts into it. It's like, if someone starts a business and I start a similar one, that person is successful, while I'm not, though I manage to attract clients. Money seems to simply vanish into thin air.

Luckily, my life partner is still a full-time employee, although I hate putting him in that position of sole provider.

People over here are making plans - what to do after May 14th. Some of them have already discarded the masks and gloves. I'm afraid they will become reckless and turn the situation for the worse again. For the first time in weeks, I saw two families of three enjoying a bike ride. No masks.
Collapse

expressisverbis
البرتغال
عضو (2015)
أنجليزي إلى برتغالي
+ ...
New hopes? May 6

It was reported in the latest news that coronavirus is becoming weaker.
A group of Arizona's researchers tested a sample of Covid-19 patients (swab testing, I believe) and have discovered changes in the genetic material of the virus.
On the other hand, Israel announced scientists have found a "monoclonal neutralising antibody", an antibody that defends a cell from infectious particles.
In the meantime, the race towards a coronavirus vaccine is being a global effort for the hum
... See more
It was reported in the latest news that coronavirus is becoming weaker.
A group of Arizona's researchers tested a sample of Covid-19 patients (swab testing, I believe) and have discovered changes in the genetic material of the virus.
On the other hand, Israel announced scientists have found a "monoclonal neutralising antibody", an antibody that defends a cell from infectious particles.
In the meantime, the race towards a coronavirus vaccine is being a global effort for the humankind.
All viruses are prone to mutate, and to lose their "vigour".
Is coronavirus starting to lose its power?
Every morning in these endless months I awake up and read the first headlines on the search for a cure, a miracle, or a treatment/vaccine against this "monster"...
We will get there!
Collapse

صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

مشرفو هذا المنتدى
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corona quarantine diary

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • البحث عن مصطلح
  • عروض العمل
  • منتديات
  • Multiple search