Thread poster: Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:56
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
May 19, 2023

The new and unexpected ChatGPT feature serves as an illustrative example of how Cafetran, a product created by a single individual (in my belief), often manages to effectively position itself amidst a strong competition by offering ingenious solutions and clever tricks that enhance the translator's workflow.

Another noteworthy example is the user-friendly management of multilingual terminology, prompting one to question why other CAT tools have not adopted a similar approach.
... See more
The new and unexpected ChatGPT feature serves as an illustrative example of how Cafetran, a product created by a single individual (in my belief), often manages to effectively position itself amidst a strong competition by offering ingenious solutions and clever tricks that enhance the translator's workflow.

Another noteworthy example is the user-friendly management of multilingual terminology, prompting one to question why other CAT tools have not adopted a similar approach.

However, it should be noted that Cafetran occasionally exhibits some shortcomings. I will mention two important ones from my perspective:
Firstly, the absence of a license server to facilitate swift license transfers when changing computers, replacing hard drives, or transitioning between Windows, Linux, or Mac systems. In other words, the ability to decouple the Cafetran license from the specific hardware being used at any given moment. Presently, users are compelled to send an email to the developer, hoping for a timely response and availability.

While it is true that a second license can be obtained free of charge for a backup PC, what about those who possess more than two computers, perhaps in different locations? Why is it still not possible to enjoy this level of flexibility and security? Personally, I have no desire to pay the annual Proz.com "Plus" fee solely for this functionality, which should be considered standard in today's CAT tools landscape.

If anything, I would prefer to directly contribute this money to the developer instead of paying the price difference for the "Plus" option.

The second concern pertains to the absence of an analysis feature, necessitating reliance on agency calculations or the acquisition of another and more expensive CAT tool with this capability already integrated.

The Cafetran forum contains numerous improvement requests, both major and minor, made during the last years but that apparently have been disregarded.

In this situation, it feels akin to driving a brilliant and enjoyable Alfa Romeo with the handbrake engaged, to the point where one may reluctantly decide to abandon it and switch to a significantly more expensive, reliable, yet unexciting Rolls Royce.
Collapse

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
I share your concern May 19, 2023

The only reason I have the Plus package is the ability to use CafeTran Espresso without a licence key. I also prefer to pay directly to Igor and hope he comes up with a solution soon.

I find the long periods of silence at the CafeTran Freshdesk very worrying. And when I get an answer after days or weeks, the response is often very short. I wonder what happened ...

Mario Cerutti

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Confessions of a somewhat disappointed user

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »