Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14] >
What is the highest number of KudoZ questions asked by a single individual?
Thread poster: Ty Kendall
Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:06
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
4000 questions May 15, 2012

Yes, this imminent landmark has not gone unnoticed. How about a prize to the answerer? I'm hoping it coincides with my cat's 20th birthday (June 13) so I can save on the cake.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
Love the idea.... May 15, 2012

Diana Coada wrote:

why not add a button like ''I refuse to help this asker because: a,b,c...'' to all questions (similar to the ''vote pro/non-pro'' button). Once a question has 5-10 refusals, it can be closed automatically. This would get the message across to the askers.

....Now if only we lived in a world where ProZ would even consider it!

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Why not? May 15, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

....Now if only we lived in a world where ProZ would even consider it!

What gain does ProZ have from non-paying users with fake IDs who ask 20 questions in a row every time they have a translation job?

Implementing it for paying members' questions would be the tricky part.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
yes, but... May 15, 2012

Sonia Atkinson wrote:

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

you are thinking of someone in the IT>EN combination... it was thinking of someone in EN>IT... but maybe not!

but still a shocking number of questions in both cases

The answers provided by the person I have in mind correspond to fewer than 10% of the questions asked.

I have chosen to filter out certain askers who I believe to be abusing the system.

I know very well who this person is...

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Toggling visibility May 15, 2012

In fact, now I come to look at certain people in the Ger>Eng group who I thought might have a high proportion of questions asked (and none answered), I see that one in particular has toggled the visibility of KudoZ activity to off. Surely this isn't in the profession's interests that he/she should be allowed to do this? The very fact that it's been switched to invisible suggests that there's more than an element of shame there. I for one ignore this person's questions, as others have said. They ... See more
In fact, now I come to look at certain people in the Ger>Eng group who I thought might have a high proportion of questions asked (and none answered), I see that one in particular has toggled the visibility of KudoZ activity to off. Surely this isn't in the profession's interests that he/she should be allowed to do this? The very fact that it's been switched to invisible suggests that there's more than an element of shame there. I for one ignore this person's questions, as others have said. They know who they are - I only wish clients could see them for what they are too...Collapse

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Insisting that heavy utilizers offer answers is not -- the answer May 15, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

A person can ask two million questions per year, for what I care - provided that the same person cares to help other colleagues in return from time to time. One colleague in my language pair certainly takes the cake, at a ratio of 0.3% questions answered / questions asked.

This could only make matters worse, for the combination of gross incompetence and lack of commitment to one's professional growth reflected in the kind of heavy utilization under discussion here would only mean that the answers offered would generally be of very little "help" to anybody, and would cause at least as much irritation to the responsible community of site users as the offending questions....

[Edited at 2012-05-15 18:37 GMT]

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
Despite the toggling... May 15, 2012

There is still a way to see the totality of someone's KudoZ activity.

On a question (that they have asked) if you hover the cursor over the offender's name a little box pops up for duration of hovering, something like this:

KudoZ activity
Questions: Way too many (xx open)
(xx without valid answers)
(xx closed without grading)
Answers: Not nearly enough

It's not as visible or accessible as when posted on the offender's main profile, but it's still there for all to see, so long as they know how (I didn't until a few days ago).

So, even when the shame compels them to remove it from their profile, this information isn't quite consigned to oblivion (fortunately).

Although the fact that they can toggle the visibility for this seems to serve no other purpose other than to aid and abet them in their machinations and, in my opinion, would seem to clash with the site rule which warns against misrepresentation (allowing them to hide this information permits them to pass themselves off as something they are not).

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Ah yes, so it does May 15, 2012

[quote]Ty Kendall wrote:

There is still a way to see the totality of someone's KudoZ activity.

On a question (that they have asked) if you hover the cursor over the offender's name a little box pops up for duration of hovering, something like this:

KudoZ activity
Questions: Way too many (xx open)
(xx without valid answers)
(xx closed without grading)
Answers: Not nearly enough

I'd forgotten about that - how sneaky! Didn't all that used to appear in black and white beneath the asker's name for all to see, or am I just thinking about the number of Kudoz points in that particular field? Oh well, this particular person was 3500+ asked and 1 answer - so quite a lot.

Like Nicole, if you could see just some evidence of a willingness to answer questions, it wouldn't be quite so bad, but they probably wouldn't be up to much as Robert points out.

Robert Forstag
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
A proposal for reasonable limits for paying members May 15, 2012

-- No weekly limit

--Monthly limit: 100

A total of 1200 posted questions each calendar year would thus be allowed and the absence of a weekly limit would allow the posting of a high number of questions within a short time frame if needed.

This really should be enough for even a beginning-level translator, and also given this site's prescriptive characterization of Kudoz as "a last resort" for term searches.

The only downside I can see for pro
... See more
-- No weekly limit

--Monthly limit: 100

A total of 1200 posted questions each calendar year would thus be allowed and the absence of a weekly limit would allow the posting of a high number of questions within a short time frame if needed.

This really should be enough for even a beginning-level translator, and also given this site's prescriptive characterization of Kudoz as "a last resort" for term searches.

The only downside I can see for proz.com of such limits is that they might result in fewer new memberships and renewals from the abusers. But I think that the site ought to be willing to accept this in the interest of upholding its self-defined mission of serving the interests of professional translators.

[Edited at 2012-05-16 00:23 GMT]
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
If a person has to ask that many questions May 15, 2012

Claire Cox wrote:

Like Nicole, if you could see just some evidence of a willingness to answer questions, it wouldn't be quite so bad, but they probably wouldn't be up to much as Robert points out.

how much help could they possibly be? We already have enough people answering without having a clue, ie answering just to get them thar KudoZ pointZ.

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Ooh yes! May 15, 2012

Giovanni Guarnieri noted and
Susanna Garcia wrote:

Yes, this imminent landmark has not gone unnoticed. How about a prize to the answerer? I'm hoping it coincides with my cat's 20th birthday (June 13) so I can save on the cake.

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
some appropriate music May 16, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyggY_R3jU8

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 11:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Native ability May 16, 2012

In my own pair (Spa-Eng), when I see someone that is asking "a string of inane questions" it is usually because:
a) they are non-natives in the target language to start with, never a good sign IMHO;
b) they are not well-versed enough in the subject area and have obviously bitten off more than they can chew.

However, comments such as "stick to the day job" are discouraged on the site, which I often feel is a great laguna.

Robert Forstag
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Live Update! May 16, 2012

Only six to go!

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Live update bis May 16, 2012

Robert Forstag wrote:

Only six to go!

Now only four to go

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the highest number of KudoZ questions asked by a single individual?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »