Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 07:52
英語 から スペイン語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hmmmm May 9, 2005

cello wrote:
Have a look if you like at the agree I got, (www.proz.com/kudoz/1023452), compare it to Graciela's agree and tell me it is just a coincidence...

I don't think it is...have a look at the closed questions in the last two pages of En>Es q.
I don't know (I couldn't find it) the time those questions were closed though...

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
ブラジル
Local time: 03:52
2001に入会
英語 から イタリア語
+ ...
Peer-grading is an important feature May 9, 2005

The peer-grades are an integral part of the KudoZ mechanism and are all important (agree, disagree and neutral, in particular if they contain useful comments), to help the asker to make a wise choice, distribute knowledge, and help, even in the future, any member visiting the KudoZ archives.

For this reason, indiscriminate distribution of 'agrees' is damaging and WRONG.
Any person racking up BrowniZ points by the expedient of posting a large number of agrees to closed questi
... See more
The peer-grades are an integral part of the KudoZ mechanism and are all important (agree, disagree and neutral, in particular if they contain useful comments), to help the asker to make a wise choice, distribute knowledge, and help, even in the future, any member visiting the KudoZ archives.

For this reason, indiscriminate distribution of 'agrees' is damaging and WRONG.
Any person racking up BrowniZ points by the expedient of posting a large number of agrees to closed questions, perhaps thinking that the action is harmless, is not reflecting enough on his/her actions, and has not understood the KudoZ system.

If you notice, when you receive a number of notifications, a systematic posting of 'agrees' to closed questions, alert the moderator(s) of the language pair(s) involved, or any moderator you wish, and the member misusing the peer-grading feature will be contacted, or blocked, if necessary.

Thank you
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2005-05-09 10:39]
Collapse

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:52
ドイツ語 から 英語
+ ...
agree with no brownies after closing if... May 9, 2005

If peer comments made after questions have been closed for the sole purpose of accumulating Browniz are actually a general problem, I agree that the easiest solution is to limit points to peer comments made while questions are still open. Naturally, that wouldn't entirely prevent bogus comments, but it would at least ensure that other people see them, and it might reduce the number of bogus comments due to the risk of agreeing with an incorrect answer.
That would of course penalise person
... See more
If peer comments made after questions have been closed for the sole purpose of accumulating Browniz are actually a general problem, I agree that the easiest solution is to limit points to peer comments made while questions are still open. Naturally, that wouldn't entirely prevent bogus comments, but it would at least ensure that other people see them, and it might reduce the number of bogus comments due to the risk of agreeing with an incorrect answer.
That would of course penalise persons who make truly helpful comments after questions have been closed, but such comments surely represents only a small fraction of the total number of comments, and the people who take the trouble to make such comments will probably continue to do so even without the reward of Browniz.

[Edited at 2005-05-09 11:23]
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:22
英語 から タミル語
+ ...
追悼
I agreed after a slight delay May 10, 2005

It is funny that this topic came up now. Just today morning I agreed to an answer. I was desperate and the Kudoz answer was a Godsend. See: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/747000
I agreed after 319 days and I excused myself with the remark: "sorry for a slight delay in agreeing!!" This is usually the remark I give for such agrees.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
ブラジル
Local time: 03:52
2014に入会
英語 から ポルトガル語
+ ...
Folks, Jul 6, 2014

ProZ is similar to Wikipedia in that users post questions and answers that are published. Then translators search for terms and find these answers.

You must agree with me there are many many wrong or at least not-so-good answers. I have dozens of examples of askers choosing a poor suggestion and leaving an accurate translation behind... and adding it to a glossary.

The "agrees" and "disagrees" are a way for those who do the research to be able to judge better if the ans
... See more
ProZ is similar to Wikipedia in that users post questions and answers that are published. Then translators search for terms and find these answers.

You must agree with me there are many many wrong or at least not-so-good answers. I have dozens of examples of askers choosing a poor suggestion and leaving an accurate translation behind... and adding it to a glossary.

The "agrees" and "disagrees" are a way for those who do the research to be able to judge better if the answer published is actually correct or not. Along with the "disagrees", there are usually explanations and discussions why it is not accurate or correct. You simply cannot remove that facility.

Unfortunately, there are people who use this feature to win BrownieZ, but let's face it: with this level of "professionalism" and immaturity, how far are they getting? And it's a price we have to pay to have the feature available (which is very useful, I repeat).
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

agreeing/disagreeing hours after a question has been closed

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »