possible scam with linkedin
Thread poster: hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
Local time: 04:19
English to German
Jul 5, 2011

To all
I recently received three mails purporting to be from a Person on "linkedin" that went like this:
((email address, not on linkedin but on AOL.com [sic]))
mail # 1
To: [[email protected]]
> From: XXX [[email protected]]
> Subject: Invitation to connect on LinkedIn

> I'd like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.
>
> - xxx

The only way to get access to XXX's professional network on LinkedIn is thr
... See more
To all
I recently received three mails purporting to be from a Person on "linkedin" that went like this:
((email address, not on linkedin but on AOL.com [sic]))
mail # 1
To: [[email protected]]
> From: XXX [[email protected]]
> Subject: Invitation to connect on LinkedIn

> I'd like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.
>
> - xxx

The only way to get access to XXX's professional network on LinkedIn is through the following link:

mail # 2
LinkedIn
This is a reminder that on June 22, XXX sent you an invitation to become part of his or her professional network at LinkedIn.
Follow this link to accept xxx's invitation.
((follows link, left out for satefy reasons but appeared to lead so some linkedin-site))

The name did resemble a real name at linkedin but differed in one letter; that name did not yield any reasonable finds on the web, which is rather unusual for someone professionaly represented at linkedin, or so I think.

The first mail I later deleted, the second I replied to, asking for details of the sender. No reply. Today a third mail arrived on the same subject, which I relegated to spam.

There did not appear to be any link to ProZ, let me make this clear.

My question now: has any ProZ user had similar requests? And do they consider them real or fake?
Tx in advance for any feedback.

[Edited at 2011-07-05 14:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-05 14:31 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

possible scam with linkedin

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »