Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Client expects me to be at his beck and call...
Thread poster: Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 03:58
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone! Nov 20, 2003

Thank you everyone - I am really surprised how many people posted on this - your advice and support is much appreciated!

You're all right - as I have just moved here from the States, I haven't got myself a new mobile phone yet, but I can see that it needs to be the next thing on my shopping list!

I also liked the points about being your own boss and setting your own hours - so true. This is definitely the aim of the game for me - I just don't feel that I am there yet.
... See more
Thank you everyone - I am really surprised how many people posted on this - your advice and support is much appreciated!

You're all right - as I have just moved here from the States, I haven't got myself a new mobile phone yet, but I can see that it needs to be the next thing on my shopping list!

I also liked the points about being your own boss and setting your own hours - so true. This is definitely the aim of the game for me - I just don't feel that I am there yet. I will bear your advice in mind as I get more established ...

Thanks again!

Hilary
Collapse

louisajay
louisajay
Spanish to English
+ ...
As it may take you a while to train your client (!) Nov 21, 2003

Why not set up your email so that when you go out, you activate your "out-of-office" reply saying you are out and could the sender please contact you on your mobile number. That way, when he ignores your verbal request to phone you, and emails you instead, he'll get an instant reply telling him to phone you!

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:58
English to French
Overall agree Nov 21, 2003

but one thing I would like to stress is that althought it's our first reaction - mine too - appologizing is not necessary.

- "Where were you? I have a translation for tomorrow morning and I neeeeed your answer.
- "Thanks. I received your order. Translation will be ready at 10:00 am tomorrow".

There is really no need for anything else. It's not like you did something wrong. Keep providing on time translations, and he will relax and trust you more.

W
... See more
but one thing I would like to stress is that althought it's our first reaction - mine too - appologizing is not necessary.

- "Where were you? I have a translation for tomorrow morning and I neeeeed your answer.
- "Thanks. I received your order. Translation will be ready at 10:00 am tomorrow".

There is really no need for anything else. It's not like you did something wrong. Keep providing on time translations, and he will relax and trust you more.

When you appologize, you are actually saying: "I am sorry for not being reliable, and I did something I shouldn't have done". And of course, if you say it, it must be true, so next time, he will be even more worried.

Of course, like others mentionned, a mobile phone is a must, because even if there is time enough for the translation a PM first concern is to have a translator assigned for it. He can't proceed until that's done and instant response is a cherished dream.

However, I would not necessarily advise to get your emails on your phone, unless you use heavy filtering. In my case, I check emails over 20 times per day in average. I am a real email junkie, but when I step away from the computer, that's it. I don't want to know anymore about CAT features, invoices, help requests, or the latest spam on performance enhancement pills. Otherwise, what is the point in leaving my computer?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client expects me to be at his beck and call...

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »