jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:06
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
the statement is only partly true Aug 10, 2014

LilianNekipelov wrote:

and translation and interpreting were a part of language studies or applied linguistics. Some people may just not know about it. (I am referring to the 20th century, not before that).

It is true that "translation and interpreting were a part of language studies" but they were NEVER part of applied linguistics, which is an independent branch of learning that deals with very different aspects of a language.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
You don't need a language related degree to be a good translator or interpreter Aug 10, 2014

A lot of successful translators/interpreters don't have a degree in either translation or interpretation.

Also, although translation and interpretation require very different sets of skills but in essence they are the same: both are conversion from one language to another. A degree in translation will definitely be helpful to an interpreter, and the opposite is also true.

[Edited at 2014-08-10 10:08 GMT]

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
At some universities Aug 10, 2014

jyuan_us wrote:

LilianNekipelov wrote:

and translation and interpreting were a part of language studies or applied linguistics. Some people may just not know about it. (I am referring to the 20th century, not before that).

It is true that "translation and interpreting were a part of language studies" but they were NEVER part of applied linguistics, which is an independent branch of learning that deals with very different aspects of a language.

They were at some universities.

Cristiano Lima
Cristiano Lima
Brazil
Local time: 19:06
Russian to Portuguese
+ ...
The same boat Aug 10, 2014

Henry Hinds wrote:

I do it all, translation and interpreting, both directions, with no studies in either. I learned both on my own. So if I could do it, so could you.

You just took a heavy stone from my chest! I'm in the same boat, sire. I'm glad that I'm not alone.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

INTERPRETING with a degree in TRANSLATION

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »