Trouble with Margins in Word 2010
Thread poster: Arabic & More
Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
May 8, 2014

I'm working with a long document in Word 2010 and am having some trouble with the horizontal ruler. The first half of the document has one setting, while the next half has a different setting, and I don't know how to manipulate things so that the entire document is unified. It looks like these two halves may have originally been two different documents that were merged together. Basically, I want all the text to have one setting, which should be whatever is standard for books. If anyone can help... See more
I'm working with a long document in Word 2010 and am having some trouble with the horizontal ruler. The first half of the document has one setting, while the next half has a different setting, and I don't know how to manipulate things so that the entire document is unified. It looks like these two halves may have originally been two different documents that were merged together. Basically, I want all the text to have one setting, which should be whatever is standard for books. If anyone can help with the procedure as well as the numbers, that would be appreciated.Collapse

Javier Wasserzug
Javier Wasserzug  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Youtube May 8, 2014

There are many videos explaining how to set and change margins in Word 2010

Arabic & More
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 9, 2014

Thanks for your response. I spent some time searching on-line before posting here, but the specific problem I am having is that each portion of the document will change independently, but I can't get both halves to do the same thing. It's like each one is locked into its own settings. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any tutorial that addresses this issue, and I am also running out of time for my project.

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 16:31
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Earlier Word version May 9, 2014

I don't know anything about Word 2010, but in my good old trouble-free Word XP, I have had the same problem, and found that instead of setting margins individually in the document, the only way to cure it was to use File > Page Setup and then set the margins and apply to 'Whole document'

BUT you might still have problems if some of those margins have been set using indents and things.

You could also try 'Select All', then Format > Paragraph and thereby set the entire do
... See more
I don't know anything about Word 2010, but in my good old trouble-free Word XP, I have had the same problem, and found that instead of setting margins individually in the document, the only way to cure it was to use File > Page Setup and then set the margins and apply to 'Whole document'

BUT you might still have problems if some of those margins have been set using indents and things.

You could also try 'Select All', then Format > Paragraph and thereby set the entire document to have the same basic settings.

You possibly have different sections defined in the doc. Unless you need these for other purposes, it might be worth stripping out all the section breaks, so the doc. at least thinks it all runs together!

However, as I said at the start, I've no idea if it works the same way in 2010 — I can't get my head round that at all Sorry!
Collapse

Arabic & More
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Section Breaks May 9, 2014

Thank you, Tony! The problem turned out to be section breaks. Once I removed them, everything fell into place.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trouble with Margins in Word 2010

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »