Thread poster: RNAtranslator
RNAtranslator
RNAtranslator  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 5, 2008

Good day for everybody,

In OmegaT 1.8.1 I have set the dictionary file directory to the one where Openoffice dictionaries are (/usr/lib/openoffice/share/dict/ooo as I am in Linux); I get this:

en-GB - en-gb
en-US - en-us
en_GB - Inglés (Reino Unido)
en_US - Inglés (Estados Unidos)
es-ES - es-es
es_ES - Español (España)

As yoy can see, I have the es_ES dictionary, but I don't have dictionaries for other Spanish variants.

But when I click on "install..." I get a new window with a list of all possible languages, most of them are not installed in that folder (and I think that aren't anywhere in my computer). In that list are all the Spanish variants but es_ES. I have not installed these Spanish variants neither.

I can't understand anything.

Thank you in advance.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-11-05 18:19]

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
I can't set es_ES dictionary for spelling" Nov 5, 2008

The "Available languages" in the Spellchecker setup dialog are the dictionaries already available on your system.

The "Available dictionaries" in the "Dictionary installer" (or Dictionnary installer, oops) dialog are dictionaries that are available on the Internet. If you select one and click "Install", OmegaT collects it for you from the Internet and puts it in the directory which you have selected for your dictionary files. That's the idea; these files are quite large though and m
... See more
The "Available languages" in the Spellchecker setup dialog are the dictionaries already available on your system.

The "Available dictionaries" in the "Dictionary installer" (or Dictionnary installer, oops) dialog are dictionaries that are available on the Internet. If you select one and click "Install", OmegaT collects it for you from the Internet and puts it in the directory which you have selected for your dictionary files. That's the idea; these files are quite large though and may take some time to download, so it may appear that nothing happens.

An alternative is simply to download the spellcheck file you want manually and put it in the required folder. I prefer this method as it's easier to see what's happening.

You don't have to select a dictionary that you want to use; OmegaT knows from the project settings (the languages you selected when creating the project) what the target language is and will select the correct dictionary automatically, if it's available.

HTH,

Marc
Collapse

RNAtranslator
RNAtranslator  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Marc!!! Nov 5, 2008

You have opened my eyes, I can see the light...
Thank you very much, Marc! sometimes I feel sooooo stupid...

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

I can't set es_ES dictionary for spelling

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »