Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 19:11
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Very time consuming. Feb 7, 2021

Gerard Barry wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

People who had a better exposure to spoken target language will have less noticeable accent. I don’t mean TV shows etc. but real language in RL. People whose foreign language studies were more text based without any speech training will likely have a stronger accent. Of course some people acquire both, but this is more rare.

This is so true. When I studied German in school and university, our teachers didn't place near enough emphasis on proper pronunciation, despite the fact that some of them were native speakers of German themselves. Until I lived in Germany, I never really knew for instance that "a" and "ä", "o" and "ö" and "u" and "ü" are pronounced completely differently. This is pretty basic stuff but our teachers didn't bother telling us!

Most language programs don’t have this incorporated or only have some very basic, limited phonetic lessons. It’s time consuming with 100s of students and it’d be very expensive. They’d have to go around and check each one of you if your breathing, vowels, links, prosodies, tongue placement, consonants etc. are fine, then correcting everyone individually. It’s like singing class, that’s why there are only max. five people enrolled at singing class.

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
Expensive and time-consuming? Feb 8, 2021

Lingua 5B wrote:

Most language programs don’t have this incorporated or only have some very basic, limited phonetic lessons. It’s time consuming with 100s of students and it’d be very expensive. They’d have to go around and check each one of you if your breathing, vowels, links, prosodies, tongue placement, consonants etc. are fine, then correcting everyone individually. It’s like singing class, that’s why there are only max. five people enrolled at singing class.

The German classes I was in at school and university were quite small (ca. 10-15 students) so the problem was just lack of will on the part of the teachers as far as I'm concerned. They also assumed (correctly) that most of the students in the class would never need German in their professional or personal life after school and so probably didn't think proper pronunciation was important.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Wrong 2 Feb 8, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question ""A foreign accent is a sign of bravery."".

View the poll results »

A foreign accent is a sign of not being able to speak the language properly.

So can be a native accent!

I know enough people with a "proper" accent who I would like to advice to go back to grammar school.

Silly poll by the way, but what is new.

[Edited at 2021-02-08 16:07 GMT]

Christopher Schröder

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Umlauts Feb 8, 2021

Gerard Barry wrote:
Until I lived in Germany, I never really knew for instance that "a" and "ä", "o" and "ö" and "u" and "ü" are pronounced completely differently. This is pretty basic stuff but our teachers didn't bother telling us!

Blimey. I distinctly remember learning that at school aged about 13. Perfect introduction to German. Getting 30 kids to go "uu üü uu üü uu üü" like monkeys.

P.L.F. Persio

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
Lucky you! Feb 8, 2021

Blimey. I distinctly remember learning that at school aged about 13. Perfect introduction to German. Getting 30 kids to go "uu üü uu üü uu üü" like monkeys.

Be glad that you had such a good teacher! Like I said, our teachers never bothered (at least not that I can remember). Thirteen was the exact age I was when I started learning German too by the way.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: "A foreign accent is a sign of bravery."

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »