IoannaGR (X)
IoannaGR (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:58
English to Greek
+ ...
Oct 17, 2011

Received this morning:

"My name is XXX from Gordon,GA,am presently on business trip here in cairo,Egypt

I actually need to make a presentation to some Greek group on 28th of Nov,2011 in Honolulu,Hawaii.Therefore i need you translate the presentation to Greek,so each participants can have a copy and they can follow through.I will also need the work be delivered by/before Nov 25th,2011.

Let me know your rate and charges for a total of presentation of word.
... See more
Received this morning:

"My name is XXX from Gordon,GA,am presently on business trip here in cairo,Egypt

I actually need to make a presentation to some Greek group on 28th of Nov,2011 in Honolulu,Hawaii.Therefore i need you translate the presentation to Greek,so each participants can have a copy and they can follow through.I will also need the work be delivered by/before Nov 25th,2011.

Let me know your rate and charges for a total of presentation of word. Presentation is attached.
Thank you.
Dr XXX
0020149733728 "

I just saw that names are not allowed. This is definitely a scam though. See the google results for the provided contact number:

http://www.google.com/search?q=0020149733728%20%20%20%20%20%20&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I am almost certain they are using the ATA member directory since each and every scam email I receive is sent to the address on my profile there.

Btw, I admit I got a bit jealous of his itinerary... now Cairo, Honolulu in November and who knows where he will be next. Sounds exciting
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 18:58
English to Czech
+ ...
:) Oct 17, 2011

Uhm, this guy is unbelievable: photographers, translators... Who's gonna be next?

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Next will be... Oct 17, 2011

Anyone who likes customers who can't punctuate (even though they flaunt an academic degree) and who provide reams of uncalled-for explanations.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
So.... Oct 17, 2011

this person is travelling a lot. Good for him.

The poor English is speaking for itself, screaming out: SCAM!

So is such reduncance.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
... he has an expanded audience; now, Moldovan Oct 17, 2011

My name is Stephen Robinson from Gordon,GA,am presently on business trip here in cairo,Egypt

I actually need to make a presentation to some Moldovan group on 28th of Nov,2011 in Honolulu,Hawaii.Therefore i need you translate the presentation to Moldovan,so each participants can have a copy and they can follow through.I will also need the work be delivered by/before Nov 25th,2011.

Let me know your rate and charges for a total of presentation of word.Presentation is att
... See more
My name is Stephen Robinson from Gordon,GA,am presently on business trip here in cairo,Egypt

I actually need to make a presentation to some Moldovan group on 28th of Nov,2011 in Honolulu,Hawaii.Therefore i need you translate the presentation to Moldovan,so each participants can have a copy and they can follow through.I will also need the work be delivered by/before Nov 25th,2011.

Let me know your rate and charges for a total of presentation of word.Presentation is attached.
Thank you.
Dr Stephen
Collapse

Lisa Grayson
Lisa Grayson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
And Spanish! Oct 18, 2011

I just posted a similar scam: same guy, but looking for a translation into Spanish of a 1972-word document, "Regional Seminar on Economic Dynamics of Newly Liberalized Telecommunication Markets in CEE Countries and Baltic States." The dude is phishing the ATA list.

Lisa Grayson
Lisa Grayson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Photographer bites scammer Oct 18, 2011

A local photographer was contacted by "Rafael," who provided the same phone number
(0020149733728). This was her reply:

------------------
Fantastic, Rafael!

I’m guessing you are going for the full Walk Like an Egyptian/Shih Tzu package? That will be a total of $1,050. Also, the prints that you have mentioned will be $500. In addition, I require an Internet Fraud Fake Money Wiring Scam fee of $3,942.15. Please use the contact information below for payment:
... See more
A local photographer was contacted by "Rafael," who provided the same phone number
(0020149733728). This was her reply:

------------------
Fantastic, Rafael!

I’m guessing you are going for the full Walk Like an Egyptian/Shih Tzu package? That will be a total of $1,050. Also, the prints that you have mentioned will be $500. In addition, I require an Internet Fraud Fake Money Wiring Scam fee of $3,942.15. Please use the contact information below for payment:

FBI - Chicago Branch
2111 W. Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL 60608
Phone: (312) 421-6700

Pyramidly yours,
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
@Lisa, Oct 18, 2011

The reply is very funny, but wrong. By doing this she acknowledged that her email is active and therefore prone to intrusion by the scammers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

scam/EN>GR

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »