Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel
Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:05
Member (2005)
German to Hebrew
+ ...
Aug 25, 2011

I am using Transit NXT, and I could not figure out how to make Transit load the view I want on start-up. I created my personalized view and saved, but on startup Transit loads one of its own views. I tried changing the "Default" view, but Transit still loads its own view. I then have to switch to my preferable view manually. How can I tell Transit to load on start up the view I prefer.

Thanks

Iris Kleinophorst
Iris Kleinophorst  Identity Verified
Germany
Chinese to German
+ ...
Adjust the view in user roles Aug 31, 2011

If you want to permanently change the layout of Transit, you have to do this in the user role you're working with. As it obviously is impossible to change the view preferences in the standard user roles, save your preferred user role under a specific name, select this specific user role, go to Manage User roles and choose your preferences for window layout and view.

HTH
Iris

Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Iris, can you please Sep 1, 2011

explain in more detail how to do this? I never used this function of user roles (besides choosing to be a super user).
Thank you.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Just a guess Sep 1, 2011

It may be just a confusion in terminology, perhaps? Have you saved not only your "View" but also your "Windows"? Go to the "Windows" tab and hit "Save" in the "Manage windows" section (on the left). It should be sufficient if you hold the super-user role.

Sould everything other fail, you may try to manually edit the DEFAULT.PRF textfile in the "[transit]\config\global\" path

HTH

Antonin

Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Antonin Sep 1, 2011

I must say that I do not quite understand the difference between the "manage views" function in the "view" tab, and the saving the window layout in the "Window" tab.
Anyway, what I did was to change the window layout to the way I like it and simply click "save" in the "manage views" section. This saved the current view to Transit's default view (in my case NXT 03 01 - I have no idea why Transit chose this view in particular), and it worked.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
windows vs. views Sep 1, 2011

It looks like Transit programmers, for whatever reason, felt like distinguishing between the layout of windows and other aspects of the view. I am not sure how well (or if at ll) this diference is explained in the documentation; anyway, hands-on experience is better than reading the manual, even if more dearly paid for...

Antonin

Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did go over the documentation Sep 1, 2011

and could not find the answer for this. And it is a pity, because this function probably has a reason, and it might have been helpful, if it would have been explained and understood.
But, as you said Antonin, one can always simply try things out...

Iris Kleinophorst
Iris Kleinophorst  Identity Verified
Germany
Chinese to German
+ ...
Check chap. 9 in the user guide Sep 1, 2011

Actually, there is an explanation of the difference between view and window in the documentation (at least there is in the German version).

"View" (as in Manage Views in the View tab) refers to the Transit editor itself, to the way original text and translation including segment information etc. are displayed. Check chapters 9.5 and 9.6 in the user guide.

"Window" (as in Manage Windows in the Window tab) refers to the layout of your complete Transit display, that is whe
... See more
Actually, there is an explanation of the difference between view and window in the documentation (at least there is in the German version).

"View" (as in Manage Views in the View tab) refers to the Transit editor itself, to the way original text and translation including segment information etc. are displayed. Check chapters 9.5 and 9.6 in the user guide.

"Window" (as in Manage Windows in the Window tab) refers to the layout of your complete Transit display, that is whether and where you want fuzzy matches, terminology, markups, concordance and other Transit tools to be displayed. This is explained in chapter 9.7.

That is where I found the information, and it turned out to be really useful for personalizing Transit for me. I use different views and windows depending on the complexity of the original file format, the number of files in the project, the reference material available, the task at hand like translating, proofreading etc.

As to user roles: If you choose a standard user role, it is impossible to personalize that. Best is to choose one of the standard roles that mostly fits one's requirements and then to save that role as your personal role under a specific name. If you open that personalized role and go to Manage user roles, you can define which view and window layout you want Transit to open at start-up. Check chapter 9.2 in the user guide for managing roles or http://www.star-portals.net/Transit/default.aspx - Features - Roles for an animated explanation on the sense of roles.

HTH
Iris
Collapse

Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Iris Sep 2, 2011

I think that now everything is clear.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing default view

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »