Thread poster: Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:46
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Jun 20, 2023

One area in which I would love to see better tools is alignment.

Consistency with past translations is important for most of my clients. Aligning source and target versions of past texts obviously helps achieve this, but it is a laborious process in my pair. On the other hand, as most of what I translate eventually ends up, in effect, as part of the public domain, there is no problem with confidentiality, so it's just a question of the technical difficulty.

Has anybody
... See more
One area in which I would love to see better tools is alignment.

Consistency with past translations is important for most of my clients. Aligning source and target versions of past texts obviously helps achieve this, but it is a laborious process in my pair. On the other hand, as most of what I translate eventually ends up, in effect, as part of the public domain, there is no problem with confidentiality, so it's just a question of the technical difficulty.

Has anybody experimented with using AI tools, maybe ChatGPT, to enhance alignment efficiency?

If Andras of LF Aligner fame is around perhaps he would have a comment...

Regards,
Dan
Collapse

expressisverbis

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:46
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Apparently not Jun 23, 2023

Dan Lucas wrote:
Has anybody experimented with using AI tools, maybe ChatGPT, to enhance alignment efficiency?

Apparently not an area of active inquiry, then.

I signed up for OpenAI and had a few runs at describing the problem, but my prompt engineering skills are pretty weak and my understanding limited. Almost everything I tried generated a response that included some form of "determine the alignment between source and target text segments", which basically means performing the actual alignment manually.

I haven't yet been able to come up with something that even hints how I might go about arranging an automatic alignment.

Dan

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Feasible Jun 23, 2023

Dan Lucas wrote:

I haven't yet been able to come up with something that even hints how I might go about arranging an automatic alignment.

And yet it sound like a very good idea!

Reading stuff: https://aclanthology.org/2020.aacl-main.62.pdf

[Edited at 2023-06-23 09:48 GMT]

Dan Lucas

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

AI tools and aligning/aligners?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »