ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:02
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 22, 2012

Dear all,
This must be a very stupid question, but still ...
When I opened Google today, the left sidebar was no longer there and I can't find out how to get it back. There was an option in this sidebar (Search German websites only / Search Swiss websites only) that I found very helpful and used frequently. Can someone tell me how to re-install this sidebar?
Thank you,
Irene

PS: I saw that there are a few search options at the top of the page now, but not th
... See more
Dear all,
When I opened Google today, the left sidebar was no longer there and I can't find out how to get it back. There was an option in this sidebar (Search German websites only / Search Swiss websites only) that I found very helpful and used frequently. Can someone tell me how to re-install this sidebar?
Thank you,
Irene

PS: I saw that there are a few search options at the top of the page now, but not the ones I'm looking for.

[Edited at 2012-11-23 07:03 GMT]
Collapse

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
New layout Nov 22, 2012

That's their new layout.

When you do a google search, you will find all or most (I'm not sure) of the options of the left sidebar at the top of the search results page when you click on "search options".

Unfortunately, I fail to see the advantages of this new layout. If it isn't broken, don't fix it - at least that's what I think.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Solution Nov 22, 2012

ibz wrote:

Dear all,
Thank you,
Irene

PS: I saw that there are a few search options are now at the top of the page, but not the ones I'm looking for.

Click on the right tab (research options) and you'll get it back.

But you are right, you can't search any more for Swiss and Austrian sites and so on....

From time to time, Google has some really silly idea that makes googling for us more difficult, I wonder which is the purpose.

[Bearbeitet am 2012-11-22 15:05 GMT]

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 22, 2012

Hi Inkweaver,
Thanks for your answer! That's what I found out as well - only that my favourite search option is not longer there ...
I really hope they're going back to the old layout.

Evija Rimšāne
Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 00:02
English to Latvian
+ ...
I found it Nov 22, 2012

It's indeed frustrating because I use this option a lot as well.
However, I found it under the local Latvian Google search site, and I hope it works for your local site, too.
Start search with a term of your choice, then look at the top toolbar (below the search field) and click on "Search Tools" (or equivalent in your language). A new subtoolbar appears. Then click on the first choice (should be smth. like "On the Web" or "Web") where you should find other options like "Search Germa
... See more
It's indeed frustrating because I use this option a lot as well.
However, I found it under the local Latvian Google search site, and I hope it works for your local site, too.
Start search with a term of your choice, then look at the top toolbar (below the search field) and click on "Search Tools" (or equivalent in your language). A new subtoolbar appears. Then click on the first choice (should be smth. like "On the Web" or "Web") where you should find other options like "Search German websites only", etc. Select which one you like. Hopefully, it works for you.
Collapse

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Evija Nov 22, 2012

Thank you! You made my day
This works though I still don't get it why Google had to change in the first place.
Anyway: Thanks again,
Irene

Evija Rimšāne
Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 00:02
English to Latvian
+ ...
@Irene Nov 22, 2012

You are welcome. I am glad I could help.
I agree that this was a totally unnecessary change - I don't get it either why make simple things complicated.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Simple solution Nov 23, 2012

The simple solution: start with the link www.google.com/advanced_search . This possibility exists for years. You get all the options there.

If you have Multifultor (see my profile), you can use that link to set up several buttons or hotkeys, each of these triggering a search with different options.

[Bearbeitet am 2012-11-23 09:21 GMT]

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Rolf Nov 23, 2012

Hi Rolf,
Thank you for your comment. This doesn't solve my problem, though. I first want to do an overall search and then filter the results according to country/language. Evija's solution works just fine but Google's old version was more straight forward.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Simple solution #2 Nov 24, 2012

I first want to do an overall search and then filter the results according to country/language.

With Multifultor you can do that - even without having to leaf through the long country list in the Google sidebar:

Use the link I gave you to setup two (or more) Google siblings, e. g. "Google overall" and "Google Swiss". Then you can click "Google overall" first and later on - only if desired - "Google Swiss".

Even more convenient: Setup a lookup group, consisting of "Google overall" and "Google Swiss". One click and voilà: The browser shows two tabs. If you don't want to filter the current search, just ignore the second tab.

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
Multifultor Nov 24, 2012

Hello Ralf,

Re Multifulator, how exactly do I make it work? I checked the User Guide, inserted three various Google addresses as "Web" type, checked the check box (and unchechked IATE) - then I go to Properties, fill in a Query, click on Test Access and in the next screen on Lookup (after inserting some term), but nothing happens. There is a new screen in background (apparently IE based, although I use Firefox as my default browser - can this be modified somehow?), but there is noth
... See more
Hello Ralf,

Re Multifulator, how exactly do I make it work? I checked the User Guide, inserted three various Google addresses as "Web" type, checked the check box (and unchechked IATE) - then I go to Properties, fill in a Query, click on Test Access and in the next screen on Lookup (after inserting some term), but nothing happens. There is a new screen in background (apparently IE based, although I use Firefox as my default browser - can this be modified somehow?), but there is nothing on that screen, only a few small icons top left. (I get something displayed for IATE when I check that, but I would like to get Google working.)

The user guide refers to "click on the green button on the right to start the wizard. The wizard is easy to use and automatically fills in all of the fields next to the green button." - but I was not able to find this green button anywhere.

I would be happy to use this tool, but at the moment it seems more complex than clicking on two more tabs or buttons in Google in the browser.

Thank you!
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Please make my green buttons green, Mr Windows! Nov 25, 2012

Tomas Mosler, MITI wrote:
Re Multifulator, how exactly do I make it work? I checked the User Guide, inserted three various Google addresses as "Web" type, checked the check box (and unchechked IATE) - then I go to Properties ...

Ok. (The checkbox is not needed in this situation, though. See p. 13, #6)

... fill in a Query ...

Not ok. The manual says (p. 9): "... [on the Properties page] enter the basic URL of the data source in URL 1, for example www.google.com or http://dict.leo.org, and click on the green button on the right to start the wizard ..."

So, don't enter a Query here. The green button is *light* green. On some systems with certain settings (Vista Aero? Laptop?) this color might be difficult to discern. But border & inscription of that button should be clearly visible.

Anyway, the green button on the Properties page is the *vertical* button on the right. It is inscripted with arrows pointing to the 4 text boxes the wizard will fill for you.

HTH

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another change Nov 26, 2012

Dear all,

It's really frustrating ... While Evija's solution for my problem worked till yesterday, it no longer does today! When I click on Search Tools, I no longer get the Web option, but only "Any time" and "All results"! This is really driving me crazy ...

Rolf: Another stupid question (sorry): Can I use your Multifultor on a Mac as well?
Thanks for all your help,
Irene

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What I just tried: Nov 26, 2012

Click on "Suche", enter your word/term (whatever), click on "Suchoptionen", then you have further options to choose from (e.g. WEB, Seiten auf Deutsch, Seiten auf Deutschland).

It seems to work, takes, however, much more time than it used to.

Gudrun

[Bearbeitet am 2012-11-26 08:45 GMT]

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes, but ... Nov 26, 2012

Gudrun Wolfrath wrote:

Click on "Suche", enter your word/term (whatever), click on "Suchoptionen", then you have further options to choose from (e.g. WEB, Seiten auf Deutsch, Seiten auf Deutschland).

It seems to work, takes, however, much more time than it used to.

Gudrun

... "from Switzerland" and "from Austria" have disappeared!

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google - left sidebar missing

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »