SSL Certificates in regard to Web Hosting and Email Account
Tópico cartaz: James Stuart
James Stuart
James Stuart  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 14:01
italiano para inglês
Dec 3, 2013

I have recently created a website, and the hosting package came with an email account. When configuring my mail clients (first Windows 8 Mail app, then Outlook 2013) I found I could only sync with the account when I deselect the "Icoming Server Requires SSL" and "Outgoing Server Requires SSL" boxes. (Incoming mail is IMAP and outgoing is SMTP).
At one point, with SSL

A ticket sent to the Hosting Tech Support about whether there was a certificate they could give me rece
... See more
I have recently created a website, and the hosting package came with an email account. When configuring my mail clients (first Windows 8 Mail app, then Outlook 2013) I found I could only sync with the account when I deselect the "Icoming Server Requires SSL" and "Outgoing Server Requires SSL" boxes. (Incoming mail is IMAP and outgoing is SMTP).
At one point, with SSL

A ticket sent to the Hosting Tech Support about whether there was a certificate they could give me received the following reply:
The only way for you to have SSL if you actually purchase SSL certificate and dedicated IP address. Otherwise you will get errors when using SSL. Thank you

Now I don't really know much about SSL Certificates, so I was hoping someone who is a bit more Web literate could advise me what this is all about. (in layman's terms if possible)

For example, if I am using a mail client with SSL deselected, does this have security implications, either for me or for clients who are using the address to contact me?
If my domain does not have a SSL Certificate, will this have any repercussions? The site is very simple, with no interactive elements at present.
In short, do I need to get one, and if so, what sort is advised?

Hope someone can help.

Site is www.jhstuart.co.uk
email is [email protected]
Collapse

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Turquia
Local time: 16:01
Membro (2011)
inglês para turco
+ ...
Those are different things Dec 4, 2013

Hi James.

The issue with your email client and a SSL certificate for a site are different issues.
You don't need a SSL certificate for the site you have- those are normally used for commercial sites.

I wouldn't worry too much about the SSL being deselected; unless you are being closely monitored by the NSA or any other such entity, this would not have any implications for clients who might be contacting you through email.

Recep

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Alemanha
Local time: 15:01
inglês para alemão
SSL hinders man-in-the-middle-attacks Dec 4, 2013

[quote]James Stuart wrote:

[The only way for you to have SSL if you actually purchase SSL certificate and dedicated IP address. Otherwise you will get errors when using SSL. Thank you"[quote]

Let me translate this into plain text: "Other service providers let you use SSL out of the box without the need to pay for it. But we don't."

For example, if I am using a mail client with SSL deselected, does this have security implications, either for me or for clients who are using the address to contact me?

Yes. SSL prevents/hinders man-in-the-middle-attacks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack

Some people will say "Don't mind", some will say "Oh, very dangerous". AFAIK, all Internet access providers in Germany provide SSL for free. Anyway, my provider will shut down any non-SSL access in spring 2014.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Alemanha
Local time: 15:01
inglês para alemão
Different server names? Dec 4, 2013

James Stuart wrote:

I found I could only sync with the account when I deselect the "Icoming Server Requires SSL" and "Outgoing Server Requires SSL" boxes. (Incoming mail is IMAP and outgoing is SMTP).

Sometimes there are different servers for SSL and non-SSL e-mail.
E.g. smtp.yourhost.uk (for non-SSL) and sslsmtp.yourhost.uk (for SSL).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SSL Certificates in regard to Web Hosting and Email Account

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »