Interpreting: Television and Films. Opinions?
Thread poster: Ramsés Cabrera Olivares
Ramsés Cabrera Olivares
Ramsés Cabrera Olivares
Spain
Local time: 19:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 11, 2013

Dear colleagues from Proz,

We are currently doing some exercises about interpreting for TV broadcasts and films at university. There is this question that asks what's your opinion after watching a film interpreted live. As I have never seen, or remember seeing, one, it occurred to me that here I could ask for experiences related to this topic, as in, did you like it, or did you find it horribly forced? Something in that vein.

Thank you for your attention. Every little b
... See more
Dear colleagues from Proz,

We are currently doing some exercises about interpreting for TV broadcasts and films at university. There is this question that asks what's your opinion after watching a film interpreted live. As I have never seen, or remember seeing, one, it occurred to me that here I could ask for experiences related to this topic, as in, did you like it, or did you find it horribly forced? Something in that vein.

Thank you for your attention. Every little bit of information will be much appreciated.
Collapse

snowyash (X)
snowyash (X)
United States
Local time: 10:46
English to Thai
+ ...
confusing Feb 12, 2013

Honestly, I find your question quite confusing. I worked at the film festival before and never seen such practices.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same here Feb 12, 2013

snowyash wrote:

Honestly, I find your question quite confusing. I worked at the film festival before and never seen such practices.

I worked a film festival a few years ago and I never saw anything like this either. Most of my work consisted of consecutive interpreting of audience or journalist Q+A sessions with producers, directors or actors.

Tom Pesch
Tom Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:46
English to Finnish
Never seen Feb 12, 2013

I have never seen this done either, and as an amateur filmmaker I can't imagine this being a pleasant viewing experience.

erika rubinstein
erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
It is ok Feb 12, 2013

I am now sitting in a train going back from Berlin where i was at the Berlinale. It is a normal practice to interpret films live at film festivals if there are now required subtitles. I interpreted myself a lot at different festivals (not Berlin) and i was listener too. If the quality of interpreting is good, so it doesn't disturb me. Also the voice plays some role.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
An uninformed question Feb 13, 2013

This is a kind of activity I know nothing about, so this is a totally uninformed question: given the poor quality we often see in dubbed and subtitled programmes, in terms of comprehension of the matter at hand or lack of accurate language and terminology, wouldn't film live interpretation be faced with an even bigger challenge in these aspects?

Ramsés Cabrera Olivares
Ramsés Cabrera Olivares
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am kind of surprised... Feb 13, 2013

...but at the same time I can't help understanding your confusion. I myself didn't know that films and TV broadcasts were interpreted in the first place. Which is why I posted this question here, to see if anyone had any experience in this regard.
There seems to be, however, some examples of this practices. The Academy Awards ceremony, for instance. The speeches aren't subbed, because there's literally no time to write subtitles. It's broadcasted live, so it has to be interpreted.
I
... See more
...but at the same time I can't help understanding your confusion. I myself didn't know that films and TV broadcasts were interpreted in the first place. Which is why I posted this question here, to see if anyone had any experience in this regard.
There seems to be, however, some examples of this practices. The Academy Awards ceremony, for instance. The speeches aren't subbed, because there's literally no time to write subtitles. It's broadcasted live, so it has to be interpreted.
In any case, I'd like to thank you for at least participating in this matter. If anyone else sees this topic and has some insight to share with us, it would be of much help that he or she posted it.
Collapse

mjbjosh
mjbjosh
English to Latvian
+ ...
It's common practice in Europe May 5, 2013

There seems to be, however, some examples of this practices. The Academy Awards ceremony, for instance. The speeches aren't subbed, because there's literally no time to write subtitles. It's broadcast live, so it has to be interpreted.

These are sometimes just "commented", not interpreted, just like Eurovision.

I've also experienced cases of interpreting at film festivals. Sometimes you don't mind it, but then I remember a particularly bad case of interpreting a Wim Wenders film, where the interpret (who must have a script or something) went like 5 minutes after the actual dialogue. Many people left, and it wasn't Wim Wendcers' fault.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting: Television and Films. Opinions?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »