KudoZ and the Quality Campaign: please join us in making KudoZ better
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:03
SITE FOUNDER
May 20, 2003

KudoZ and the Quality Campaign

Moving forward in the ongoing 2003 Quality Campaign, the moderators and staff are turning their attention to KudoZ.

In KudoZ. we are faced with the challenge of raising the general level of professionalism without disturbing the free and open nature of the system. Some think these purposes are contradictory. We, however, believe it is entirely possible to keep KudoZ open to all even as changes are made to raise the quality
... See more
KudoZ and the Quality Campaign

Moving forward in the ongoing 2003 Quality Campaign, the moderators and staff are turning their attention to KudoZ.

In KudoZ. we are faced with the challenge of raising the general level of professionalism without disturbing the free and open nature of the system. Some think these purposes are contradictory. We, however, believe it is entirely possible to keep KudoZ open to all even as changes are made to raise the quality of both questions and answers.

Here are some of the initial changes we have planned:

• Design changes: more compact layout, forms (discuss...)
  • convenience changes: additional buttons and links (discuss...)
  • greater differentiation between Easy and Pro sections
  • discouragement of dictionary questions
  • richer dialogue between askers and respondents
  • more direct communication between users and moderators
  • more notifications (such as when the asker adds a new note to the question)
  • a more complete classification system
  • a more convenient referencing system
  • option for askers and answerers to display more data on KudoZ pages
  • more asker options: "just close", "decline" with notes, "undecline"
  • refinements to the "Ask the Asker" box
  • additional (optional) alerts (triggered by notes, etc.)
  • changes to raise the quality of glossary entries
  • curbs on certain forms of abuse
  • Personal options: ignore particular askers
  • More platinum benefits: tracking, statistics, export, etc.
  • clearer identification of the source and target languages in the question entry form
  • and more...

• As we roll out each of the above, updates will be posted here. (To stay up-to-date, you may wish to activate tracking of this forum.)

We expect that the result of applying the Quality Campaign to KudoZ will be increased value and fun in the KudoZ network and across the site as a whole.

All members are invited to take part in the ongoing development by providing feedback--both positive and negative--and being attentive to the new options as they are announced. This is going to be a group effort!
    Collapse

Harry Bornemann
    Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
    Mexico
    Local time: 02:03
    English to German
    + ...
    distribution option for KudoZ; special handling for whole sentences May 20, 2003

• I noticed frequent regrets about the dilemma of assigning KudoZ in cases in which two or more answers are equally helpful. The best answer is often achieved by the group effort of several answerers.

This assignment could be designed more flexible to make the system more convenient.

• Whole sentences don\'t fit into the term scheme, so the resulting work arounds mess up the database.

[Edited at 2003-05-20 21:46]

Russell Jones
    Russell Jones  Identity Verified
    United Kingdom
    Local time: 09:03
    Italian to English
    Prior glossary checks May 20, 2003

Our moderator has, on several occasions and very reasonably, urged both askers and answerers to check for previous glossary entries before posting questions or answers.

This is an additional imposition for answerers in my view and I wonder whether it could be made obligatory for askers to consult the glossary before posting a question?

Henry Dotterer
    Henry Dotterer
    SITE FOUNDER
    TOPIC STARTER
    Noted: make allowances for sentence entry into glossary May 20, 2003

Quote:

2003-05-20 21:22 Harry_B wrote:

• I noticed frequent regrets about the dilemma of assigning KudoZ in cases in which two or more answers are equally helpful. The best answer is often achieved by the group effort of several answerers.

This assignment could be designed more flexible to make the system more convenient.

• Whole sentences don\\\'t fit into the term scheme, so ... See more
    Quote:

2003-05-20 21:22 Harry_B wrote:

• Whole sentences don\\\'t fit into the term scheme, so the resulting work arounds mess up the database.

[Edited at 2003-05-20 21:46]

Thanks, Harry. The idea of splitting points has come up several times. The majority opinion seems to be that since points balance out over time, the added complexity might not have corresponding benefit. So this proposal would be for a future round of changes.

Your point about whole sentences and the glossary is well-taken. Noted. ▲ Collapse

Henry Dotterer
    Henry Dotterer
    SITE FOUNDER
    TOPIC STARTER
    KudoZ steps-to-be: (1) Search (2) Ask May 20, 2003

Quote:

2003-05-20 21:39 jonesr wrote:

I wonder whether it [glossary searching]could be made obligatory for askers to consult the glossary before posting a question?

Yes. With a bypass option for trusted askers.

swisstell
    swisstell
    Italy
    Local time: 10:03
    German to English
    + ...
    trusted askers !? May 20, 2003

Quote:

With your 50\'000 members, how are you going to separate the \"trusted ones\" from the others without a possibly unfair amount of discriminating?

2003-05-20 22:33 Henry wrote:

Quote:

I wonder whether it [glossary searching]could be made obligatory for askers to consult the glos... See more
    Quote:

With your 50\'000 members, how are you going to separate the \"trusted ones\" from the others without a possibly unfair amount of discriminating?

2003-05-20 22:33 Henry wrote:

Quote:

I wonder whether it [glossary searching]could be made obligatory for askers to consult the glossary before posting a question?

Yes. With a bypass option for trusted askers.

Collapse

Dyran Altenburg (X)
    Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
    United States
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    KudoZ Revisited May 20, 2003

Although it has been years since I last answered a KudoZ question (and quite a while since I last asked one), some of the things that would make me participate again would be:

a) Have a choice to only send the question to language professionals who are experts in the specific field I need (for example: Automotive - Mexico, Health Care - USA, Marketing - Spain).

b) Prevent moderators from participating in KudoZ. Why only a few seem to see a conflict of in
    ... See more
    Although it has been years since I last answered a KudoZ question (and quite a while since I last asked one), some of the things that would make me participate again would be:

a) Have a choice to only send the question to language professionals who are experts in the specific field I need (for example: Automotive - Mexico, Health Care - USA, Marketing - Spain).

b) Prevent moderators from participating in KudoZ. Why only a few seem to see a conflict of interests with the present setup is quite an enigma.

c) Periodic \"flushing\" of earned KudoZ. That should keep power players on their toes, and newcomers would feel more motivated.
    Collapse

Henry Dotterer
    Henry Dotterer
    SITE FOUNDER
    TOPIC STARTER
    New KudoZ being designed with you in mind. :) May 20, 2003

Seriously. We\'ve talked, Dyran, I know your KudoZ history, and you have made excellent observations. I believe you will approve of the changes we make.

That said, and although we will be addressing your issues (a) and (c)--(from a very different angle; no one will lose points)--I don\'t see any conflict with moderators. We have been careful to ensure that moderators do not enjoy any advantages in any area of the site, including KudoZ.

Dyran Altenburg (X)
    Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
    United States
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    Hello Henry May 21, 2003

Thanks for your willingness to address my concerns/suggestions

2003-05-20 23:54 Henry wrote:

I don\'t see any conflict with moderators. We have been careful to ensure that moderators do not enjoy any advantages in any area of the site, including KudoZ.

My argument in this regard is that nobody can effectively be part and jury and retain objectiveness. Also, being authority figures, people would naturally tend to agree with moderators, or be less willing to disagree with them for fear of retaliation (even if just imagined).

On the other hand moderators, by their mere designation, are more likely to receive criticism, and be held to higher standards, which may or may not be fair in the great scheme of things.

After all, like someone once said, \"moderators are people too\". (*)

(*) Inside joke... I used to be a moderator myself.

Trudy Peters
    Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
    United States
    German to English
    + ...
    Possibility of retroactive additions to agrees/disagrees May 21, 2003

Sometimes I agree with an answer and then wish I had added another comment. It would be nice if it were possible to do that.

I also would like the opportunity to respond to comments on agrees/disagrees without having to post a separate message or going to the \"request more context\" box.

My two cents\' worth

Trudy

Patricia Posadas
    Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
    Spain
    Local time: 09:03
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    more editing options May 21, 2003

This may already have been included in the new features, but I think it is a pity that we can\'t edit our answers. I feel bad when a typo slips in (very often when I answer quickly) and it is not very convenient to have to add a note explaining that I meant \'mais\' and not \'amis\', \'la\' and not \'al\', etc.

Ralf Lemster
    Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
    Germany
    English to German
    + ...
    Change time stamp when editing (or adding notes) May 21, 2003

This may already have been included in the new features, but I think it is a pity that we can\'t edit our answers. I feel bad when a typo slips in (very often when I answer quickly) and it is not very convenient to have to add a note explaining that I meant \'mais\' and not \'amis\', \'la\' and not \'al\', etc.

I can see your point - the trouble is, we have had examples of askers who did everything to get the first answer in, and subsequently \"fed\" off other people\'s answers. If subsequent editing is included, the time stamp should change to reflect the last edit/addition.

Best, Ralf

Monika Coulson
    Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
    Local time: 02:03
    Member (2001)
    English to Albanian
    + ...
    SITE LOCALIZER
    Editing might leave room for abuse May 21, 2003

Dear Patricia,

IMHO, we should not allow editing the main body of our own answers (after we have submitted them,) because people might keep changing their answers, just to make them as perfect as possible. I am afraid that the editing button might leave room for abuse. Well, in my opinion whatever help you can offer is good enough and yes, at times there might not be a perfect answer (and there might not be a perfect question either.)

There are times when I misspell words as
    ... See more
    Dear Patricia,

IMHO, we should not allow editing the main body of our own answers (after we have submitted them,) because people might keep changing their answers, just to make them as perfect as possible. I am afraid that the editing button might leave room for abuse. Well, in my opinion whatever help you can offer is good enough and yes, at times there might not be a perfect answer (and there might not be a perfect question either.)

There are times when I misspell words as well, but I go back, add a note and correct my previous misspelling. So, I think it is good the way it is.

My 2 qindarka,

Monika

Quote:

Patricia P wrote:

[Edited at 2003-05-21 06:53] ▲ Collapse

Marijke Mayer
    Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
    Netherlands
    Dutch to English
    + ...
    Answers must be supported May 21, 2003

Occasionally I pose questions myself and then am unpleasantly surprised to see people just shooting back any old answer just to be first. Some people have managed to get to the KudoZ top this way. For this reason I feel that a question cannot be answered unless the box containing at least one quote has been filled.

Then I \'d like to be able to give several people points, and not just one, and quosh others (which is possible now) quoting a reason.

I sinc
    ... See more
    Occasionally I pose questions myself and then am unpleasantly surprised to see people just shooting back any old answer just to be first. Some people have managed to get to the KudoZ top this way. For this reason I feel that a question cannot be answered unless the box containing at least one quote has been filled.

Then I \'d like to be able to give several people points, and not just one, and quosh others (which is possible now) quoting a reason.

I sincerely feel that at the end of the year, all KudoZ should go back to square one, listing the number of KudoZ obtained in any year plus the placement for that year.

Marijke
    Collapse

Steffen Walter
    Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
    Germany
    Member (2002)
    English to German
    + ...
    KudoZ points -> answers listed in profiles -> additional info May 21, 2003

Dear all,

While we are at the KudoZ issue - here\'s one humble suggestion:

When opening a member profile and clicking on the number of KudoZ points attained in a specific field of expertise, the answers given by that member in the specific field are listed. One example:

English>German

Tech/Engineering

Answers given: 229

(followed by table containing answer history)

... See more
    Dear all,

While we are at the KudoZ issue - here\'s one humble suggestion:

When opening a member profile and clicking on the number of KudoZ points attained in a specific field of expertise, the answers given by that member in the specific field are listed. One example:

English>German

Tech/Engineering

(followed by table containing answer history)

What if we introduced additional info as follows:

English>German

Tech/Engineering

Answers chosen as most helpful: X

Ratio answers chosen/answers given: Y (e.g. 0.39, or 39%)

This should tell outsourcers a bit more about members\' expertise and quality standards even *before* randomly checking individual answers given.

Any thoughts and comments most welcome,

Steffen
    Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ and the Quality Campaign: please join us in making KudoZ better

Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
    Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »