Haytham Boles
Haytham Boles  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:56
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Feb 29, 2012

I've received this email via Proz.com yesterday. I think it is a scam. I want to warn my fellow Arabic translators of it.

Greetings!

I'm Ray Morgan from Atlanta,Georgia and i'll be leaving here in Atlanta for the United Kingdom on a business trip tomorrow.However,i will need your service to translate some documents for me.I need to make a presentation to some groups of Arabic speaking people in Abu Dhabi,U.A.E on 9th of April,2012.I will need you to help me translate th
... See more
I've received this email via Proz.com yesterday. I think it is a scam. I want to warn my fellow Arabic translators of it.

Greetings!

I'm Ray Morgan from Atlanta,Georgia and i'll be leaving here in Atlanta for the United Kingdom on a business trip tomorrow.However,i will need your service to translate some documents for me.I need to make a presentation to some groups of Arabic speaking people in Abu Dhabi,U.A.E on 9th of April,2012.I will need you to help me translate the papers from English to Arabic so each of my audience can have a copy in Arabic language and they can follow through.I will also need that the work be delivered by April 6,2012.Please,let me know your rate for a total of about 4626 words presentation and your methods of payment.I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best Regards,
Ray
678-701-9193
+447924007140

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2012-06-21 16:38 GMT]
Collapse

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Similar scam and... Feb 29, 2012

...I was wondering if these scammers also have a way to use Paypal or wire transfer for their purposes. I received a similar message and the scammer was asking me if I accepted Paypal or wire transfer. I said I only accepted money orders and he disappeared immediately. So I was wondering whether anybody knows how to scam money through Paypal or wire transfer...

Isabelle F. BRUCHER (X)
Isabelle F. BRUCHER (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 03:56
English to French
+ ...
Well-known scam Feb 29, 2012

Hi, I received the exact same type of text a while ago and everybody on this forum told/showed me this was already a well-known scam.

Suggest you ask for email notifications of new topics posted on the Scam forum, which is what I did after that (or rather, I had notifications for too many forums, so never read them: I cancelled them all, except for the Scam forum).

Dont' even bother to answer, the guy is probably crazy and has nothing else to do. Total waste of time.... See more
Hi, I received the exact same type of text a while ago and everybody on this forum told/showed me this was already a well-known scam.

Suggest you ask for email notifications of new topics posted on the Scam forum, which is what I did after that (or rather, I had notifications for too many forums, so never read them: I cancelled them all, except for the Scam forum).

Dont' even bother to answer, the guy is probably crazy and has nothing else to do. Total waste of time.

Don't forget that if society had to lock up all crazy people, it (we) would have to build entire cities of mental asylums. So most of them are on the loose. You will meet some more in your life, don't worry...
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you, Haytham Feb 29, 2012

Haytham Boles wrote:

Please take a look at http://www.proz.com/topic/213622 - this is the same scammer.

Have you informed the site staff about the email you received? In such cases it is advisable to submit a support request immediately in order to prevent further sending of emails by the scammer.

Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
ProZ scam alert centre Feb 29, 2012

Hi Haytham,

Have you seen this?

http://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts/

Apart from the initiative itself, there's also a direct link for reporting scams. It's at the bottom of the page, on the right.

Liisa Janaert
Liisa Janaert  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:56
English to Finnish
Similiar scam, might be in another languages as well Mar 1, 2012

I received a urgent request to translate a visa application to Finland from English to Finnish, saying Finnish Embassy needs it in Finnish or Swedish. All Visas are in English as a first selection in Finnish Foreign ministries Web page - there is no need to translate them - which must be a case in all EU countries. This was urgent, in 24 hours from Pretoria ? Have you recieved any?

[Edited at 2012-03-01 20:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-03-01 20:37 GMT]

Paula Sandu (X)
Paula Sandu (X)
United States
Local time: 20:56
English to Romanian
+ ...
Re: scam email Jun 21, 2012

Hi everyone,

I also received a very similar email today:

''Greetings!

My name is Alan Cox from Macon,Georgia and i'll be leaving for the United Kingdom on a business trip tomorrow morning.I'll be making a presentation to some groups of romanian speaking people in Bucarest on the 3rd of August,2012.However,i will need you to help me translate some documents from English to Romanian,so each of my audience can have a copy in their local language and they can
... See more
Hi everyone,

I also received a very similar email today:

''Greetings!

My name is Alan Cox from Macon,Georgia and i'll be leaving for the United Kingdom on a business trip tomorrow morning.I'll be making a presentation to some groups of romanian speaking people in Bucarest on the 3rd of August,2012.However,i will need you to help me translate some documents from English to Romanian,so each of my audience can have a copy in their local language and they can follow through.The deadline for the delivery of translations is August 1,2012.Please,let me have an estimate for the documents(see attached).I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Kind Regards,
Alan
678-701-9193
+447924007140''
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 21:56
Romanian to English
+ ...
Alan Cox again, - attention Romanian translators Jun 21, 2012

it seems it is hitting the EN - RO community of translators. I got it yesterday and another good friend received it today.

[Edited at 2012-06-21 23:44 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Overpayment scam sent by 'Ray Morgan from Atlanta,Georgia''

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »