Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:27
German to French
+ ...
Dec 14, 2012

Hi everybody,

The new, revamped LinkedIn profile has been rolling out since October and soon, we'll all have it. Here is a small recap/overview of what's changed.

Do you have the new profile already? If yes, what do you think - like it, hate it?

Have a great weekend,
Anne

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:27
Things seem easier to find. Dec 14, 2012

I do not really mind. My main reason for using LinkedIn was to show that I had a career until a few years ago which ran concurrently with my translation activities. That, and the fact that I enjoy some of the discussions in selected "Translator Groups".

By the way, Anne, the left sidebar of the link you provided has its right margin slightly cut off. It may well be a problem only certain browsers experience. I am on Google Chrome.

Oh, and - I cannot help it! - you may w
... See more
I do not really mind. My main reason for using LinkedIn was to show that I had a career until a few years ago which ran concurrently with my translation activities. That, and the fact that I enjoy some of the discussions in selected "Translator Groups".

By the way, Anne, the left sidebar of the link you provided has its right margin slightly cut off. It may well be a problem only certain browsers experience. I am on Google Chrome.

Oh, and - I cannot help it! - you may wish to amend "exaple" to "example" in your blog article.
Collapse

Anne Diamantidis
Germany
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oops! Dec 14, 2012

Hi Allison,

Thanks for spotting that typo, I re-read myself two times but hadn't spotted it somehow.

Weird about the left sidebar - I'm on Chrome too and it's all displaying fine... just checked with Internet Explorer and Firefox, all ok as well. The mysteries of the Internet...?

Thanks for the feedback and have a great weekend,
Anne

Françoise Vogel
Françoise Vogel  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
83% ;-) Dec 14, 2012

Allison Wright wrote:

Anne, the left sidebar of the link you provided has its right margin slightly cut off. It may well be a problem only certain browsers experience. I am on Google Chrome.

It seems that the only way to have it visible is to set the page zoom to 83%.

Bon week-end,
Françoise

Suzanne Deliscar
Suzanne Deliscar  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:27
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
LinkedIn Endorsements and Events Dec 16, 2012

Hi Anne,

I am not quite sure what to make of the new Endorsements feature, since Recommendations, at least to me, are the best way to confirm another professional's work. Also, I will miss the Events feature, it was a good way to promote events and also find out about other activities in our industry.

Suzanne Deliscar

Alison Sparks (X)
Alison Sparks (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
New? Dec 16, 2012

Being new to LinkedIn I assumed that the different profiles depended on whether or not you were a paying member! I seem to have the old version at the moment, so your blog is interesting. I'd already seen some new ones and thought they were rather better.

By the way you might want to check for a few other typos - 'Industr' 'patrticularly' 'ar also' - sorry.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I don't like the endorsements Dec 16, 2012

I hate to be ungrateful, but I've been getting endorsements from people who really have not seen my work, so I wonder how they know.

I get mails with XX has endorsed you, and then all my contacts pop up, from my sibs to people I like but have never met, and I can just click to endorse that they know all about localising, languages, all sorts of strange things. For 99% of the suggestions at least, I have honestly no idea.

I can't see who I have endorsed myself - I did at
... See more
I hate to be ungrateful, but I've been getting endorsements from people who really have not seen my work, so I wonder how they know.

I get mails with XX has endorsed you, and then all my contacts pop up, from my sibs to people I like but have never met, and I can just click to endorse that they know all about localising, languages, all sorts of strange things. For 99% of the suggestions at least, I have honestly no idea.

I can't see who I have endorsed myself - I did at the beginning, becasue I knew certain colleagues were good at this and that. But I have stopped, because I think the whole endorsement thing is worthless. Sorry, folks!

I do use the rest of the system more or less.
Collapse

Anne Diamantidis
Germany
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re endorsements Dec 18, 2012

Thanks for your feedback. Well, endorsements are another matter not quite related per se to the new design but it seems to be a "hot" topic, I get a lot of feedback and question about them too. I'm not quite sure what to do with them, as Suzanne says, recommendations were quite sufficient and definitely more credible than endorsements.

Observe, wait and see

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:27
Endorsements are over the top Dec 18, 2012

Anne Diamantidis wrote:

Thanks for your feedback. Well, endorsements are another matter not quite related per se to the new design but it seems to be a "hot" topic, I get a lot of feedback and question about them too. I'm not quite sure what to do with them, as Suzanne says, recommendations were quite sufficient and definitely more credible than endorsements.

Observe, wait and see

My feeling is that "endorsements" are not really necessary. If someone has recommended you because of direct experience working with you, or of your work, then they can say so.

Endorsements to me feel as if they are one way to get others to "brag" on your behalf. and smack too much of mutual back-scratching to me - whereas recommendations have more potential for sincerity - and originality.

I suppose is depends what you used LinkedIn for. If I were still seeking permanent employment, I may well seek endorsements, such as "kind to animals" , "works well on her own and in a team", and any other clap-trap people can dream up!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

The new LinkedIn profile is coming

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »