Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Mar 30, 2011

Hi Everyone,

Today Fix 7 for SP 4 for Transit NXT was released. It contains a fix for the option Terminology Search | Exact matches only.

It turns out that the fix make terminology recognition terribly slow and therefore the function Terminology | Auto-insert into File also extremely slow.

If your workflow depends on this function I'd advice you not to update to Fix7!

I've reported my findings to STAR AG's Support Department and I'll rep
... See more
Hi Everyone,

Today Fix 7 for SP 4 for Transit NXT was released. It contains a fix for the option Terminology Search | Exact matches only.

It turns out that the fix make terminology recognition terribly slow and therefore the function Terminology | Auto-insert into File also extremely slow.

If your workflow depends on this function I'd advice you not to update to Fix7!

I've reported my findings to STAR AG's Support Department and I'll report their answer back here.

Kind regards,

Hans Lenting
Collapse

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:09
German to English
+ ...
Thanks for the head-up Hans Mar 30, 2011

I was going to install it this afternoon, now I'll wait.

Cheers,
Jill

Brand Localization
Brand Localization
Egypt
Local time: 20:09
German to Arabic
+ ...
Many thanks Mar 30, 2011

Hi Hans,

many thanks for this information!

Best regards
ATT

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:09
German to English
+ ...
Fix9 OK? Mar 30, 2011

Hi Hans,

Transit appear to have reacted extremely quickly. Did the new fix (9) correct the problem?

Cheers,
Jill

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Fix 9 Mar 30, 2011

Hi Jill,

Yes, I didn't believe my eyes first. They haven't responded to my question yet but they've already released a new fix.

Will test it tomorrow morning right away!

Greetings,

Hans

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
SP 4 Fix 9 Mar 31, 2011

Hello Everyone,

I've installed Fix 9 this morning. The same sluggish behavior when you have activated the switch:

Terminology Search | Search type | Exact matches only

(which I have, since I don't like Transit recognizing words that aren't in my source text).

If you don't need this switch, you can give Fix 9 a try (when the switch is deactivated, Term search is performed at the usual speed).

Terminology Search | Searc
... See more
Hello Everyone,

I've installed Fix 9 this morning. The same sluggish behavior when you have activated the switch:

Terminology Search | Search type | Exact matches only

(which I have, since I don't like Transit recognizing words that aren't in my source text).

If you don't need this switch, you can give Fix 9 a try (when the switch is deactivated, Term search is performed at the usual speed).

Terminology Search | Search type | Exact matches only no also recognizes multi word terms (it didn't in Fix 3), but I really hope that the programmers can fix the snail speed.

Best regards,

Hans Lenting
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Exact matches only Apr 6, 2011

Hi Everyone,

I just had a DeskShare session with STAR AG's support department. This issue is now under investigation. It seems that I'm the only one using a dictionary with more than 450,000 entries ...

Hans

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Slow term recognition: escalated Apr 8, 2011

I just had a DeskShare session with STAR AG's support department. This issue is now under investigation. It seems that I'm the only one using a dictionary with more than 450,000 entries ...

Hans

STAR AG has been able to reproduce the slow term recognition with extremely large SQL databases and 'Exact matches only' activated.

The issue has been escalated to a developer yesterday afternoon.

BTW: Am I the only one who thinks that e.g. for translating part lists the default term recognition (with 'artificial intelligence': morphological reduction) is dangerous and error-prone? I really want to be able to deactivate this morphological function. (And this is exactly what 'Exact matches only' promises.) I've been waiting for this Less is More function since Transit 2.6.

Those were the days ... Running Transit 2.6 in Windows 3.1.

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NXT SP 4 Fix 7: slow!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »