Test translation by Agency along with "potential job"
ناشر الموضوع: humbird
Jul 20, 2004

I heard about this but wonder if it's true. Agencies and/or individual post "potential job" at appropriate site (ProZ.com or not). Along with the posting there is a "test translation". You follow the instruction, submit your test translation, then never hear from them. This is the case I am talking about. Suspicion that arisen from this is "Whether they are actually testing the applicant, or it's a piecemealed portion of large file, but number of applicants were given different part of the file,... See more
I heard about this but wonder if it's true. Agencies and/or individual post "potential job" at appropriate site (ProZ.com or not). Along with the posting there is a "test translation". You follow the instruction, submit your test translation, then never hear from them. This is the case I am talking about. Suspicion that arisen from this is "Whether they are actually testing the applicant, or it's a piecemealed portion of large file, but number of applicants were given different part of the file, so the poster gets free translation?"
Well, don't take me wrong, I am not a paranoid. But this can happen. Any thought?
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
ألمانيا
Local time: 05:17
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
Contact the Jobs moderators... Jul 20, 2004

Hi Susan,
I posted this response in a few threads already - if you suspect foul play with a job posted on ProZ.com, simply contact one of the Jobs moderators.

We have seen attempts to procure a free translation by cutting a text into pieces and "selling" it as test translation, but in my experience, most tests are genuine.

Best regard
... See more
Hi Susan,
I posted this response in a few threads already - if you suspect foul play with a job posted on ProZ.com, simply contact one of the Jobs moderators.

We have seen attempts to procure a free translation by cutting a text into pieces and "selling" it as test translation, but in my experience, most tests are genuine.

Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 20:17
أنجليزي إلى عربي
+ ...
Alternative: offer source document and releasable translation Jul 20, 2004

Greetings.

Suggestion:

Rather than become embroiled in a "time vampire" of doing a test translation to demonstrate your skills as a translator, an alternative approach is to offer to provide that requestor with a "sample portfolio packet" of one of your previous completed productions.

That packet can consist of the source document and the releasable translation (insure the previous client has no objection to your release of that product and/or you "sanitiz
... See more
Greetings.

Suggestion:

Rather than become embroiled in a "time vampire" of doing a test translation to demonstrate your skills as a translator, an alternative approach is to offer to provide that requestor with a "sample portfolio packet" of one of your previous completed productions.

That packet can consist of the source document and the releasable translation (insure the previous client has no objection to your release of that product and/or you "sanitize" or "scrub" identifying data).

HTH.

Regards,

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
(English Arabic,
Farsi and Kurdish)

San Pedro, California, USA
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 20:17
أنجليزي إلى عربي
+ ...
Another early benefit of providing a sample product portfolio: bidi compatibility of PCs Jul 20, 2004

Greetings again.

Another early and mutual benefit of providing a sample product portfolio: that also helps determine if the requestor's PC has adequate support installed and enabled to recognize and display Japanese text and the fonts you normally use.

HTH.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
(English Arabic,
Farsi and Kurdish)

San Pedro, California, USA

humbird
humbird
بادئ الموضوع
Thank you for your reply Jul 20, 2004

Ralf, I thank you for your reply. I should have searched previous posting for this topic. Your answer satisfied my curiousity.

humbird
humbird
بادئ الموضوع
Thanks to good advise, Stephen Jul 20, 2004

I appreciate your reply. Your proposal is quite legitimate advise for general ProZ professionals in public level I believe, but more importantly for me in personal level. Although I suspect this involves some sensitivity issue, but careful sorting would eliminate that concern as you pointed out. While quite time consuming, I consider this worthwhile efforts in my part (I must admit I am not very organized person for failing doing this, as I should have done long time ago)

Yours,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Test translation by Agency along with "potential job"

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »