Importing RTF reviewed files
Thread poster: andare
andare
andare
Poland
Polish to Italian
+ ...
Feb 7, 2020

The agency I'm working with sends me reviewed files in RTF format. These have translated (locked) and partially translated (to be reviewed) segments as well as blank segments. These files already include segments that don't need to be translated as well as repetitions.
Is there a way to import these files into WFP 5? The workaround till now has been taking the source text and translating it normally, then copying and pasting it back into the RTF file, which the agency wants as final text.

andare
andare
Poland
Polish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Anybody? Feb 20, 2020

I keep getting these RTF files with pre-translated segments etc. I can't import them directly into WFP5, does anybody have a workaround?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Andare Feb 20, 2020

andare wrote:
The agency I'm working with sends me reviewed files in RTF format.

I assume these RTF files are not files that were exported from TXLF files, but are files that were exported from some format that the agency uses in-house. In that case, I know of no way for WFP5 to open and translate it. I deal with similar files in a way similar to your method.

I create a column in Excel with numbers from 1 to whatever, and then paste that column into the RTF file as an extra column, so that every row has a unique number. Then, sort the table by translation status. Then convert the 100% matches into a TM, convert the fuzzy matches into another TM (with a penalty applied, so that they do not turn up as 100% matches), and then copy the source text of the fuzzy and untranslated files to new file, open that file in WFP5, and translate it. Then, after the translation is done, paste the content back into the RTF file, then sort by the numbered column (so that the segments are in their original order), and then delete the numbered column.

If some row statuses are not indicated using text by using e.g. row colour, then the sorting has to be done in Excel (a very recent version), because you can't sort by cell colour in Word.

andare
andare
Poland
Polish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ahem Feb 20, 2020

I read your comment 10 times and my head is still spinning
Seems really complicated and I don't know how to do all that penalty stuff, I'm just a translator...I'll do it manually with good ole copy and paste.

Tahnks for you reply!

Multiverse Solutions s.r.o. (X)
Multiverse Solutions s.r.o. (X)
Local time: 23:56
Polish to English
+ ...
a matter of choice Feb 26, 2020

Translation has become a DIY-A (do-it-yourself All of it) pastime. You need workarounds to find the easiest and fastest solution quite often.

Samuel’s use of Excel is a great example of combining tools to that end. Hard to find a better way, but only if the volume of work is really impressive. For a few patches, old-school typing might be more attractive.

Some translators just stick to translation and do not bother about MacGyverism. For them, I split the processes li
... See more
Translation has become a DIY-A (do-it-yourself All of it) pastime. You need workarounds to find the easiest and fastest solution quite often.

Samuel’s use of Excel is a great example of combining tools to that end. Hard to find a better way, but only if the volume of work is really impressive. For a few patches, old-school typing might be more attractive.

Some translators just stick to translation and do not bother about MacGyverism. For them, I split the processes like that into stages. My part is then to prepare the ‘almost-final’ text for translation and re-cast their work back to the source appearance and format. The translator is free to focus on the translation.

This approach is very productive, because it may be applied to almost all languages, without me knowing them. Such technical assistance is a gem for the agency.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing RTF reviewed files

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »