Thread poster: Exequiela Goldini
Exequiela Goldini
Exequiela Goldini
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 21, 2004

Hola!!!

I will probably be moving to Oxford next year.

I would like to have some feedback from people working as translators in UK. (English into Spanish) I am from Argentina and have been living in USA for a year.

I imagine that getting jobs in UK must be much more difficult... but I would like to hear from people living there.

Thanks so much!!
Exequela

Omar Osman
Omar Osman
Local time: 12:33
Somali to English
+ ...
No difference Oct 22, 2004

Hi Exquela,
I haven't met 95% of my clients, and some of them are from the UK, but it doesn't make any difference where you are based with as long as you can be competitive and keep quality and a good turnaround delivery for the client. It is also very important to have all the software needed and a good internet connection.
Setting yourself as self-employed is easy and straightforward once you have a resident permit and a National Insurance Number.

I am personally looki
... See more
Hi Exquela,
I haven't met 95% of my clients, and some of them are from the UK, but it doesn't make any difference where you are based with as long as you can be competitive and keep quality and a good turnaround delivery for the client. It is also very important to have all the software needed and a good internet connection.
Setting yourself as self-employed is easy and straightforward once you have a resident permit and a National Insurance Number.

I am personally looking to move out from here and settle in New Zealand soon, that will double my income because the living standard is cheaper than the UK (my income will buy me more). Also another problem with the UK is the exchange rate with the US$ which is making my prices very uncompetitive compared to other translators in the US, Europe or the world.
Omar
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:33
Dutch to English
+ ...
Living in Oxford Oct 22, 2004

Hi Ezequiela,

I live in Wallingford which is 20 minutes away from Oxford. House prices here are very high (second most expensive area after London). Same applies to rental properties. With a good Internet connection, you can keep your customers from abroad. There is, however, plenty of work in the UK for your language combinations. I think your best option is to register with some of the bigger translation agencies and take it from there.

If you need any specific inform
... See more
Hi Ezequiela,

I live in Wallingford which is 20 minutes away from Oxford. House prices here are very high (second most expensive area after London). Same applies to rental properties. With a good Internet connection, you can keep your customers from abroad. There is, however, plenty of work in the UK for your language combinations. I think your best option is to register with some of the bigger translation agencies and take it from there.

If you need any specific information please feel free to e-mail me ([email protected]). I'll try to find it!

Good luck!
Marijke
Collapse

Claudio Chagas (X)
Claudio Chagas (X)
Brazil
Local time: 01:33
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Finding accommodation in Oxford Oct 22, 2004

Hi,

I lived in Oxford for three years. Accommodation is a big problem in Oxford. It costs approx. 300GBP (450 USD) per month for a single room including bills. It is the a very big problem for charity staff and actually prevents many who want to work there actually making it. But if you have your accommodation sorted, I don't see any problem in your moving to Oxford. It's a wonderful place to work!

Cheers,
Claudio

Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Spanish
Hola Oct 24, 2004

Hi Exequiela,
We're organizing a group of Spanish-speaking translators in London. You may be interested.
http://www.proz.com/topic/24108
Regards,
Javier

Exequiela Goldini
Exequiela Goldini
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 24, 2004

Thanks!

All the information is very useful. I will know in approximatley 2 weeks if we go to Oxford or stay here in US. My biggest concern is the money as UK is SO expensive!

I will be very happy to participate in the London group if I go there.

Thanks again!

Best regards,

Exequiela

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting established in UK

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »